radishes in a contianer

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Tried this last year...no luck...trying it again this year...no luck. Getting all leaf growth and no radish...ideas?

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

I sure don't know but I hope you figure it out. It seems like it should work. I would like to do the same with carrots. I can't even get carrots to sprout!

I did radishes in raised beds. They were a little funny looking but they worked. It seems like a raised bed is sort of like a great big container but apparently the radishes could tell the diff.

Laura

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Well, in the flower world, usually means either not enough sun or too much fertilizer. Wouldn't really know about veggies. Maybe it's the same. What kind of soil are you using?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

baccto potting soil...

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Never heard of it. Does it contain fertilizer or did you apply fertilizer? Is it getting full sun?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

full sun no fertilizer and I didn't apply any

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, I think no fertilizer is good. For root veggies it will make the top growth all lush and bushy but leave small, stringy roots.

This site: http://www.ehow.com/how_1992_grow-radishes.html says spring radishes thrive in containers. Use a pot with good drainage that's at least 12 inches deep and 10 inches wide. Fill it with potting soil enriched with compost, keep plants well watered, and feed once with compost tea.

What type of radish did you try?

Laura

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

a pring radish called cherry belle...container meets that....has drainage...but I haven't done a compost tea...I have a buttiimus lush grwoth on top but zilch for bottom growth...I'm sayin agian these suckers are going in the real dirt here...I might go get a med bag of compost and a contianer of the tea but containers aren't working and I want radishes *snifflesobwhine*

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Saint - I am also 0 for 2 on radishes. Same thing, all top growth and not much bottom growth. The first year none at all, and this winter all I got was some midget radishes. I found out they don't like to be transplanted, which I did the first year. But the midgets I got this year were not transplanted at all. ?????? Maybe we should stick to maters? Ed

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

getting kinda late for radish here--but radish seed needs to be really fresh. I can only frow them late nov-early feb. They hate warm weather for me....

Does garlic and herbs count? lol

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I planted these the end of Jan....now it's way to warm for them as it's getting up close to 80. Double drats...foiled again

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Araness, I just pulled up some of my radishes this morning. I grew them in a window box, inside my window, and they did great! I had no success last year, but this year I have tons of radishes! They sure take up a lot of water.

kanita

I just wanted to add that I did not use a compost tea or any thing like that. I just planted the seeds in the same container, and watered. I'm starting another batch this weekend as both my lettuces is ready to cut and my radishes are ready to be pulled. I don't know if it matters, but the container I used is a self watering window box I got at Walmart for like $4.00 last year. You put the water in the bottom of the container.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2006 10:51 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.