Spring Bulbs Pictures and discussion, Part III

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Tam you have such a beautiful outlook! The flowers will come and just add to the beauty you already have, just look at the distance you can see there, you are so lucky!

somewhere, PA

Can you believe that's from my bedroom window? I'm the luckiest gal in the world and I appreciate
it every day too.

Tam

Denver, CO

Watch out folks, here is a mess of pictures that have been stagnating on the digital camera card for a few days. The following are five pictures of bulbs coming up in my friend's garden.

Her crocus-laced lawn is beginning to have gold after a few weeks of Galanthus and Crocus seiberi (not to mention a few violas).

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

The first vernus (Dutch large-flowered) Crocus to bloom: the electric "Vangaurd."

Denver, CO

Here is a picture that better demonstrates the unique whiteish edge to the inner petals.

Denver, CO

She has a raised bed that makes sniffing-access to the fragrant Iris reticulata 'Harmony' and I. danfordie. 'Harmony' readily multiplies in short time.

Denver, CO

The last picture in her garden: Again, in the raised bed, here is a nice stand of Crocus tomassinius and Galanthus elwesii preceding miniature Narcisus. These have naturalized well after only a year.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I love snowdrops and have quite a few named varieties but as you say they are very expensive. Here's Magnet

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

A wonderful yellow form of nivalis

Denver, CO

In my front garden, here is a miniature microclimate that is warmed by bricks, pavers, and deeply-sunk stone. Everything is very early in this spot, naturally, and the Galanthus are long done. Hyacinth, Dracunculus, Tulipa and such.
The white stripes in the Dracunculus excite me. I expect a very nice flower on this established plant in May.

I also have iris Edward and crocus in bloom and hellebores and daphne. But we have had snow overnight so they will struggle a bit today :(

Denver, CO

Good to see you about, Galanthophile! (and good morning.) Nice yellow.
Say, do you know about G. alpina?

Hi and good morning to you! According to my book it's called alpinus and is quite a diminutive and rare form in cultivation. Have you seen it?

Denver, CO

Arum italicum coming up.

That dranunculus looks very dramatic - how hardy are they?

I posted this somwehere else but this is my favourite narcissus - cyclamineus.

Denver, CO

I have not seen the species (just cvrs) sold in the US. Awesome, just superb!

Thanks for the correction. G. alpinus; I have not seen it, but I know someone who is arranging a little excursion into the mountains to find it. (Western Armenia) The sublty of the genus never ceases to amaze me. They are extremely underused in my part of the country. More people have read Coleridge's poem about them than have seen the darn things. -And that's not very many!

Dracunculus: Given drainage, pretty hardy. Mine have decent drainage and brushed off -18C. I think they can do even better.

First year Eranthis hyemalis:

Denver, CO

Here has to be the most diminuative Narcissus hybrid: 'Midget.' It is said to bloom with the Galanthus when established. This is its first year here and it is tiny, just opening next to a Viola tricolor strain.

Denver, CO

Not a bulb, but a harbinger of spring nonetheless. (But a grand overstory for bulbs.)
Red Hybrid Witchhazel. A popular cross between a Chinese and Japanese species.
In full bloom February 27.
Hamamelis x intermedia 'Diane'

Denver, CO

Finally, not a bulb again, but some fun anyway. An un-fancy Helleborus. The hybrids and new strains certainly do not take long to establish. Planted last mid summer.

K. James

You have some very nice plants. I think the Diane hamamellis is the best strain. I love the hellebore too - another one of my passions! Narcissus Midget is a delight. I find these smaller narcissi have a charm all of their own, one of the best is Little Witch with her swept back petals. Oh for it to be spring proper with erythroniums, trilliums, anemones etc etc..

somewhere, PA

Thanks for all the lovely pictures & words Kenton! I love those little narcissus also.
I'm so glad we've got a few of you in warmer zones to share the excitement of spring!
I also have a "diane" (two actually) and they've bloomed and are done. One is in
my new shrub border and the other is in a big pot, waiting for me to figure out where it
should be placed for its permanent home.

Tam

Hi Tammy - you're lucky to have room for a witch hazel - they like to spread their branches wide and don't look right if you prune them. I hope you find a suitable spot. We're having an unseasonably cold snap just now which is frustrating as I can't get into the garden!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, I just MUST go outside today in the sunshine and take stock of what has emerged since we left for Florida on the 21st. I did notice some tulips and daffodils peeking through, but I've been too busy to really take a good look at things. Kenton, thanks for bringing spring here and Galanthophile, I just LOVE that first picture you posted of Magnet.

Having just returned from Florida, where I was drooling in the Walmart garden department (OUR Walmarts never look like that, even in the busy spring planting season), COME ON, SPRING!!!

Kylee

Thanks Kylee - here's an unnamed form but it has a lovely long drooping habit.

This is the "ordinary" nivalis

This one is Sam Arnott - one of the best and scented

And finally viridapice

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Galanthophile! So wonderful to see your beautiful snowdrop photos and read all of your thoughtful comments. I am learning a lot!

k.-- interesting to see the crocus lawn. I'll put that idea on my 'to do' list for next year---although wonder if it would work here because of the critters. Interesting to know about the Red Witchhazel, too.

voss-- I have never thought of you as an obnoxious poster, but I may have to reconsider! Did you have vodka in that ICEE? LOL

Sunny today so I am thinking we may have a little something coming along in the bulb garden to post this week. I do have a few N. February Golds blooming in the front which are sweet.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I have some 'Summer Snowflake' that I planted two falls ago. Got them from Breck's, I believe. I don't know what the proper name for them is, but they're coming up right now. EDIT: Just found it - Leucojum aestivum.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2006 10:57 AM

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Another...

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm loving all these snowdrops; thanks Galanthophile(great user name!).

tabasco, it seems the critters prefer some crocus over others. In the clump of crocus I posted above, Zwanenburg, 2 were nibbled and the rest were ignored. I also wonder if they would find as many if they're scattered through the lawn? Hmmm...

Tammy, I can't wait to see this year's pics of your new shrub border. That surrounds the garden room you were working on does'nt it?

The sun is shining and I soooo want to be outside digging, but the flu or some other crud has slammed me (whine, wimper, cough, hack, and chill). I think I may be on the other side of it now since my fever broke last night (woke up saturated!). At least sun is shining in the windows, and I can play with my seedlings and brugs in the house.
Neal

somewhere, PA

Oh Neal!!! Tea & soup for you today. Glad the sun is out - that always helps.
And you have a terrific memory! Yes - that's the one I used to complete a garden
room in my pasture. Here's a pic from last fall.

Tam

Thumbnail by Tammy
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Vossner, I can answer your question re ranunculus & coastal CA winters -- yes, we can leave them in the ground because even though we get occasional frosts, the ground itself never freezes here. Such bulbs/corms as dahlias, cannas, callas, etc., can all overwinter here with no problem.

I tried to get a good photo of the new ranunculus I bought but the color, which is what prompted me to buy it, doesn't quite come out right. It looks more pink here in the photo, whereas it is a really a deep, soft coral color. Really lovely! I will enjoy it in the pot and then when it finishes blooming, plant it somewhere in the garden (with a plant marker so I don't forget it's there, LOL).

Thumbnail by jkom51

Very pretty jkom, your ranunculus looks like a botanical print!

JamesCo I love the striping on your Drac., I think mine was more of a mottling, has it been that strong before or do you think it's because it's more mature? A bit ahead of mine, this cold weather has stopped everything.

Tam you have a lovely house, it must be very peaceful. Plenty of scope there for expanding the garden!

Neal I hope you are better soon, sun was shining here the last 3 days but too cold!

Galanthophile I have been looking and looking at your snowdrops, then mine, I can't work out what I've got! I know I have some of the G. nivalis, the one with the horse shoe shape i keep changing my mind. I'm also sure I have 2 types of double, one that looks like G. nivalis plena, but then not so sure as there are no green marks on the tepals, the other has the green marks on some of the smaller tepals,

Thumbnail by wallaby1

I don't think this one has green on the tepals

Thumbnail by wallaby1

A single, please help me ID!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Corte Madera, CA

gorgeous photos!

my hellebores didn't bloom for me this year =(.

fresh from the garden today:

Thumbnail by Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

so glad i potted some up. i'll take these to work =). i have a little terrace there.

Thumbnail by Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

my first tulip this season.

Thumbnail by Moonglow

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.