Too COLD??

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi all,
I'm in z6 and it's so bitter cold these last few days.
Will seeds survive with single digit temps over several nights? or should I just give them up for lost?
Thanks,
LoraB.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes Lora, your seeds will be fine.

Susan

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

They will be absolutely FINE, Lora! Take that "leap of faith" and put your sown containers outdoors!! Mother Nature will take excellent care of them!!!

Please also check out this link www.wintersown.org It will give you lots of information & will provide you with the courage to put your seeds outdoors with single digit temps!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, Lora, that Wintersown.ord site that Shirley recommends definitely is worth reading to understand the Wintersowing philosophy and how to take advantage of the weather and mother nature to start seeds in our changeable climate.

And what the other DG wintersowers say, I think is true for wintersowing: if you take the leap of faith and trust mother nature, seed starting will pretty much work out for you.

I have done wintersowing for three years now...the first two years I confess I experienced some difficulties because I didn't set up the planters with enough good drainage, and one year I went on an extended vacation and my plants dried out... other than those two 'mistakes' I would have had zillions of plants.

But even with my mistakes, I had many, many plant for the garden. Even though they sat out in the cold many nights and days!

This year I am really trying to follow the advice on Wintersown's site-- using their Plant lists for temperate zones and heeding generally recommended timing for Perennials and Tender Annuals, and I have been careful about choosing and preparing the containers for ease of maintenance...

It's fun and you will see lots of flowers from your wintersowing this spring if you take the 'leap of faith'!

Good luck. t.

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Lora,
Everyone's advice is great! Another way to look at it as well is think of all the wonderful plants that reseed every year effortlessly. Those survive thru all different kinds of winter weather. They only thing we are doing different is providing a little extra shelter until Spring. The seeds definitely know when to wake up and if a few sprout before the rest then it becomes a battle of wills and the strongest will survive.

Michelle

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

It just feels unnatural to leave them out there to freeze so hard. I'll try to tone down my mothering. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.