Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in???

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

Here it is for anyone who wants to get the planning on the way!!!

Glen Rock, PA

Is this going to be a hen party? Just kidding.

If youall decide to go up to Middletown Road, there is another decent nursery just a little up the road. Go left at the stop at the ramp off of 83, less than 2 miles. It is right across from the little white church on the right. I pass it every day I work at the office but danged if I can remember the name. I've even bought stuff there. Mostly shrubs and trees, but different stuff than many nurseries. Worth a stop, the sign out front has the hours on it. If youall are interested, I will get the name and see if they have a website (I would doubt it.)

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

When is spring? HAHA - should we wait or just go soon?

Always room for the rooster Pete!

-Kim

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Pennpete..would you be talking about Blooming Hills Nursery? I think we should include several as Happy Hollow will not take that long. It is more an experience than a nursery. LOL Also We could maybe go to Md. Flower and Foliage...off Ebenezer Road...(all wholesale) and it is very cheap and sometimes you find unusual things and sometimes not. Oh and by the way...not just HENS! We would like the guys.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm definitely interested, but when is the best time to go??? Everyone has different work schedules & I definitely would need to know several weeks in advance.

I'm interested, maybe someone should call and see when they'll have a lot in. Really, when is spring this year? Have they said when they think the last frost will be? What about farmer's almanac, anyone know? Whenever I'll be there.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

magoobu, thank you so much for posting the link to Tim's site! I saw the article on his work in Horticulture and I craved more information, pictures and prices!! Expensive, but so beautiful - incredible attention to detail - I want all of them :)

Debbie

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

You are welcome! My Mom Levilyla thought some maybe interested in his work so I posted the link.

Looks like we may have a big group for the Happy Hollow trip maybe we should throw out some good dates to try and lock down one that works for most.
Mom why don't you start by letting us know when Sue may have some good things there.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Nikki,

Generally, the frost-free date is May 10th around here. Of course, you are a bit more West, so it may be a week later for you.

I generally wait until the very end of April, and then start (cautiously!) to put a few plants out in beds. NO SOONER--even if it is tempting. Every year, all the big stores have all these anuals and stuff already in stock by end of March--beg. of April. PLEASE! Don't be tempted to buy and plant. Let the stores take the loss if a late frost hits--not you.

I think last year we had a very late cold snap and I am glad I waited till the appropriate time! Am I right?

I have never been to the Md Flower and Foliage place, but I know where it is. Now you are talking MY neck of the woods--somewhat....

This is starting to sound VERY interesting! YES! I hope all you men out there feel free to join us! Variety is the spice of life!

Would anyone want to visit Watsons on York Rd also? NOT to buy much, just to gawk at all their beautiful plants. They are very pricey!

Gita

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita MD flower and foliage is very close to you! and we should go tehre as well it has lots of great stuff!!!!

Gita,
Thank you for the info. I would die if I lost any of my roses to sheer stupidity, and eagerness. I guess I'll be potting a lot of them. I'm getting a lot of clematis also, but they can stay in their pots for a good while. All those places sound good. I lived in cockeysville, lutherville area, so I know them.

Don't forget that we've had a very mild Winter this year. We usually are frost free by May 1st and this year it could be earlier!

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

How nice it is to have a site that cater to MD, DC, PA, VA and DE. When I first got on this site I felt like the whole middle of the east coast was missing. Now I feel better.
Is anyone going to the flower show in Timonium next week end? I went to the show couple years ago and it was a lot better than the one in D.C. I am looking forward to go to it and see what they have that I cant go without...
I have to get started on my seeds I have been so busy with everything else that they have gone on the wayside. When I was in Cambridge last week end my roses are so advanced it is not funny. I was real upset, one of my favorite rose was broken in half due of the winds that we get there. I tied it back to the main plant hoping for the best.
I am behind in the garden also but the back of my yard where I have my vegetable garden has been a swamp and it is still very soft so I cannot do much there.
I hope that I willmhave things ready by the time the last frost rolls around... lets hope.....

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey...I think sometime the very end of April or the very beginning of May would be good. Towson Market Day is the 27th of April and they always have alot of good things and vendors from different places. And don't forget to make a trip (and this would have to be separate) to Season's Past www.seasonspastfarm.com She is very knowledgeable and has alot of very unusual things. And dare I mention Patapsco Valley for wholesale pots etc. ??

Hey, I'm ready for both. Seasons past looks cool. Does anyone know where to get some cheap rocks for the garden....landscaping, big, and med? I can't believe we have to buy them when they're everywhere. Fieldstones, boulders, and creek rocks. Thanks, Nikki

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

ALSO Mountainside Gardens in Boonsboro Maryland has great things...great containers of unusual things. And..Alloway Creek Gardens in Littlestown Pa. and Windy HillPlant Farm in Aldie Va. www.windyhill.net.

Tell me more about Patapsco Valley for wholesale pots!!! I've gotta know!!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Patapsco Valley Sales and Service...2700 Hollins Ferry Road...410-525-2325...They are not real picky about the wholesale thing. They have a HUGE warehouse full of every different kind of pot and basket you could possibly imagine.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And if you have a pond...Maryland Aquatic Nursery in Jarrestsville in great...

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

FYI, Windy Hill Plant Farm closed last fall :( Karen Rexrode (the owner) had some great plants but is now concentrating on her photography.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh I am sorry to hear that...it WAS a great nursery.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Yes, we heard about it last fall from alot of very disappointed gardeners. Spoke with Karen in January - she's thrilled with her new endeavor but said she will definitely miss all the wonderful customers :)

levilyla: Thanks so much on the great info about Patapsco Valley for pots & baskets! Definitely worth a trip over there to check them out!

Also, don't forget about Lilypons Water Gardens in Buckeystown, MD (outside of Frederick).

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Levilyla,

The Md, Aquatic Nursery in Jarretsville is on North Furnace Branch Rd. Right? If it is, I have a girlfriend who lives right nextdoor to them. Been to her house many times!

I think we need to decide on a day soon and where exactly we will be going. All the suggested places sound great, but you can only do so much in a day. We can always do a second trip.

I am deffinitley IN on this trip! Still need a date at least 3-4 weeks in advance. Since I work at HD, and it will be the beginning of busy season, I have to put in my request as soon as I can.

Thanks, Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thursday, April 27 is (tentatively) on my calendar. That is also the ONE day a year that they have that "Hidden Garden Tour".

Somewhere, totally out of sight and hidden behind some tall stone walls, is this wonderful garden they open once a year for visitors. It is right outside the Courthouse Square walls ---someweher.

I have never seen it, but they had flyers for it at the Md. Home and Flower Show at the Sylburn Arboritum booth.

I'll keep checking back! Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Gita...I think going to the Towson Market Day AND these other nurseries in one day will be a bit much..considering we will all be meeting somewhere and following each other? How are we going to do this? I suggest we maybe meet at either Happy Hollow or Blooming Hill and then go on individualy to the Towson Market Day. some may want to stay longer at one or more of the places .... actually the two small nurseries will not take that long. Maybe I will call Sue and see what she will have by then...Blooming Hill's daughter does fabulous hanging baskets and pots...expensive but you can get ideas of how to do it. The 27th will be good for me. So maybe start another thread with this date on the top? I don't know how to. Nancy

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

you start threads all the time Mom just start one with that date in mid/atlantic gardening just start a new topic

like starting any thread

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

But I wanted to put the hyperlink here!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Nancy,

We don't know yet how many people will be coming on the Nursery Romp, do we? I agree that carpooling does not always work. I, personally, do not like being rushed or held back by other people's preferences. I like the social aspect of going somewhere as a group, but I am not a "groupie".

Is Happy Hollow and Blooming Hill easy or hard to find? If they are hard to find, we could meet at some place either off of #83 or off of York Rd. Like in a well known shopping center. Ot at he Timmonium Fairgrounds. Then we can follow one another to the Nurseries.

I have never been to Towson Market day. What is it? Is it the big Farmer's Market? I'd rather spend time in nurseries crawling through greenhouses and gawking at plants. But I'll do anything--just to do something different with a bunch of DG'ers.

Nancy, do you think this thread is too long? it is only 27 posts so far. Why do you want to do a new thread? Just asking...............

Gita

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

I think she wanted the date to be the title
let me know what you want Mom and I will start it and hyperlink if you want...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well maybe Gita is right...we don't know yet about the others. Towson Market Day is lots of plant vendors and also crafty stuff. (yuk)...But usually there are GOOD plant vendors there. If we (or you) have time after the nurseries it may be worth a trip over there and it is not far. I think it closes at 3.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Can someone share where these places are for those of us that would have to go visit on a weekend, please?
thanks much!
Chantell

Point Of Rocks, MD(Zone 6b)

Hello All ~I'm new to this site - just a quick note for now - yes it would be helpful to know all these places you all are speaking of - and their locales. Thanksgiving Farms is on Rt. 85 south of Frederick and Buckeystown - it is a neat nursery also - fyi.

Any good sites, or suggs for this site on landscape design? I haven't totally viewed this site yet but I am revamping my backyard - have lots of plants but ALWAYS want more! and really would like a nice design...?
Thanks all~

Millsboro, DE(Zone 9a)

I've left southern Maryland for Sussex County Delaware and am envious of the Baltimore area nurseries you guys are mentioning....can anyone give me ideas for southern Delaware??? I'm outside of Rehoboth Beach so anything between Salisbury MD and Dover DE is within reason. thanks guys...it's wonderful to find this forum.

Tentative April 27th on my Calendar.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Mine too Nikki

Pongie - I would start a thread with your question so more people in the forum can see/answer.

-Kim

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey! Levilyla or Magoobu,

Is this trip still on the agenda??? There have been no posts since April 6th! Are we doing ANYTHING--ANYWHERE????

Where are all those people that posted "I'm in"? Don't any of you want to know if this is even going to even happen? I see NO questions and NO posts. I have requested off from work for this day as it sounded so interesting and had so much potential and energy at the beginning of this topic. What happened?

WHO STILL WANTS TO GO???????

If our numbers have dwindled to a few, should we just go to the Towson Garden/Flower event and then grab a bite to eat afterwards?
We could still do Watsons or Valley View Farms if people are not interested to venture further.

Please! Someone here make a decision on this! April 27th is only 2 weeks away! Please don't look to me to organize this. I am hauling at work and cannot even get to any of my own garden chores as I am working so much overtime. It really frustrates me!

Thanks, Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I can go and can meet you either at my house or at Happy Hollow...and then if time go to Towson Garden day..I think my daughter may be able to go in the morning but her son gets out of school at 12 so unless she can find a babysitter or (take him) not! So is it just you and me???? My phone number is 410-377-4344. Nancy Cole

Well, I'm on board. I can meet at Happy Hollow or where ever. I used to live in Lutherville, now in Ellicott City. There are many places........possibilties. We need to see when we want to start and how long we want to stay out. That'll help up decide where to go. I have the day free so what time should we meet?
Nikki
410-750-2370

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a meeting at my son's school that morning and will have to ask neighbor to get him off the bus. lots of maybes but could possibly meet up somewhere..

Will let Mom know..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.