help with garden area around clematic

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Hi I have a picket fence section that is 16' long that we put up so I could grow clematis and to cut off a view of the alley behind our house. I have planted other plants around them to give their roots shade as well as add more color and texture and give me more places fpr plants.

This past Fall I took everything but the clematis and some spring bulbs out. It just didn't look good. So I am looking for help to figure out what to plant. There is a curved garden on the side facing in that runs as narrow as 12" and as wide as 3'. The back of it is about 18".

The clamitis' I have planted there are; Miss Bateman-white, Niobe-rudy red. Jackamii- purple, The President-purple blue and the Pink in front on the photo that I would love to have someone tell me what it is. I lost the stake and can't remember it.

I have so many ideas floating around in my head that I am getting confused and would be interested in hearing what you would suggest.

I am in zone 4, the fence is on the west side of our yard and gets sun most of the day.

First photo

Thumbnail by zenpotter
This thread has 53 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!