Roadtrip....

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

There are other cemetery trees too. I'm studying them in my "spare" time. Here are a couple from my collection - - -

Guy S.

Thumbnail by StarhillForest
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Excellent Joulz!

Now EQ, you'll never get a tree peom better than that.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yes, Joulz, really cool. I'm going to print a copy for my wife to read. I'll bet you ten bucks she's sniffling by the end.

Scott

You are correct, I won't ever get a tree poem as cool as that so don't look at me to ever be able to write anything in that league. I had problems with Haiku.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Aplombium,

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
We all like trees,
And so do you.

Scott

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Wow to be able to see that as you create on paper! If I had that gift I would never get into the garden.

Aw shucks, all this raw talent really brings me to my knees. I had no idea there were more than two poets amongst us.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Equi you missed the word "if".

Metuchen, NJ

Thanks for all the kind words. But I didn't write that poem. It wrote me. Seriously, after I took that picture, I couldn't eat, sleep or care for my children for THREE DAYS. Three days I was holed up in my room penning that poem. You should have seen me when I came out. My hair needed to be washed, my face was seriously tear-stained. There were several boxes worth of tissues all over the floor. I was mentally, physically and emotionally EXHAUSTED. My husband thought I was going crazy. One more day and he would have put me in a mental institution. I think Jacob or Sally, or maybe both together, wanted to be remembered.

Now probably ALL OF YOU think I belong in a mental institution! I have to admit: I go visit them sometimes. Sally and Jacob. (My kids come too, and they talk to Jacob and tell him about their lives. So we're ALL crazy.)

Thanks for reading the poem. Your comments made my day. (I promise I won't print them out and take them up to the cemetary. Really, I won't do that. Well, not now. Maybe in June.)

Now that really adds to the significance, trueness and emotion of the poetry. However you were inspired, the end is quite masterful, and you should feel very satisfied and joyous.

I ask my friend on the Minnesota forum of GW if I could hijack some of her haiku she had posted. Julie is an avid winter sower and she said "they took about 15 minutes in all to whip up."

Snow flies- breathes softly
As the sun reaches higher
awaiting Sping's sigh

Collected treasures
Rumble, Tumble and Burst forth
promising- green desires

Life begins anew
under artificial light.
So Strong It's desire.

Wintersown plantings
Still- Calm- Passive- Pensive- lie
In this frosty grip

Computer gardens
flourish, blossom- OverLoad!
Continuing faith.

Common dreams bond us
life cycles expanding growth
across cyberspace.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Equil, sorry that I missed your mention of me.
Spring-time is almost here!
Most of my plant collection has buds on them!

Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

Roadtrip to Forest of Friendship where there are trees representing each state as well as 35 countries.This is at Warnock Lake,one of several water-shed dams and lakes in my area.The forest was established as a bicentennial project by the Ninety-Nines Inc.,an international organization of women pilots.Amelia Earhart(born in Atchison)started the Ninety-Nines and was its first president in 1929.We were here yesterday watching for funnel-clouds during the storm-watch.Here are some pics of the bare trees,taken before the storms came.For Dave and Terry, a Pecan tree from Texas and a Tulip tree from Tennessee...Dave

Thumbnail by Davers
Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

next...

Thumbnail by Davers
Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

another from Lousiana,Bald Cypress...

Thumbnail by Davers
Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

From California,Redwood......

Thumbnail by Davers
Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

Amur Cork Tree from Korea......

Thumbnail by Davers
Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

One more,from Great Britain,English Oak.....(poor light)...Dave

Thumbnail by Davers
Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

Amelia in her forest.....

Thumbnail by Davers

Davers, which state does the Amur Cork represent ;)

Rick, stop rubbing in my shortcomings. Didjahave to add that all of those took her all of 15 minutes?

This message was edited Mar 13, 2006 1:48 PM

Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

Hi...the cork is from Korea..

Sorry, I was teasing you.

Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

"People ya can't tease ya can't love",said Grandpa Greenup.....lol!!

Eee! Your power went out? I hope everything is okay there.
I'm sorry I forgot to sign the above post. I know what you mean about losing emails.
That one that I recently wrote you I had (almost) lost when I tried to attach some photos, not only did Yahoo not attach them, it erased the whole email! I always try to "copy" an email or post onto the "clip-board" that I'm writing so I can just "paste" it back if I need to, which I had to.
The power going out is a nasty way to lose them though. What I do when the computer has a chance of shutting off is create a new text file, of what I'm writing, on the computer and regularly saving it. I've got forum posts and emails from years ago on my hard drive!

Equil, perhaps you and yours could come to a DG Roundup. Maybe we could swap Tuliptrees and Blackgums! I'd also bring many other plants to swap too.

I like a good road-trip, and meeting fellow forum members would be good.

Will

Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

Here is a few of the pines in the Forest of Friendship.....Red Pine?

Thumbnail by Davers
Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

another....Loblolly Pine?

Thumbnail by Davers
Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

Pinon Pine?

Thumbnail by Davers
Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

and a Shingle Oak from Georgia....Dave

Thumbnail by Davers

Hey Will, Eeek, power went out again. But I got the new mail out to you before it flickered and went hasta la bye bye. Looks as if we are going to be up and down.

I can't do the Ioaw RU. It is falling on a bad weekend. I am going to do the Upper Midwest RU on June 10th. It's somewhere around Madison but I forgot exactly where.

Davers, love that Shingle Oak!

Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

Hiya,Nyquilibrium! That Shinglebark loves us right back,don't ya think? lol! Please,please to all you good folks that love the trees and shrubs and everything that goes with them,feel free to jump right in here and show your roadtrip adventures,whatever they may be!....Dave

I got some road-trip photos from last May when I went to Starhill Forest.
I had some car trouble, but I just had to leave my car running while I was there.
Not only did the starter go out but about 50 miles from home I noticed a pin-hole leak in a radiator hose. Everything turned out good though. I met the Sternbergs and saw Starhill Forest. That was a nice visit, despite the car trouble, I got a tour of their Arboretum. I also had contributed a little dough to help preserve an old White Oak (the Gudgel Oak) tree very near there and also participated in a big gathering with many others. Guy was the speaker for the event, it went well. Contributors came from all over the country. Many contributors couldn't be there. I am proud to say that I had travelled the furthest out of all who were there. If you look at the pics, that is me, the chubby one in there.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v243/w4i0a/Starhill%20Forest%20Arboretum%20Gudgel%20Oak%20dedication/

Will

Well actually, Lauren, I left out a couple of Julie's haiku's that were GW oriented. (Not to make you feel worse, but well, yes.) And I envy her quick poetic mind too.

Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

Hi to Will!What a fantastic trip you went on to Starhill Forest!The Gudgel Oak and the Indian Trail-marker were mind-boggling to say the least!You did a great photo shoot,Will,thanks for sharing.(Hope your car is doing better!)....Dave.... Hello to Leftwood and thanks for showing Julie's work!She is pure genius.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I used to play in a cemetery when in elem. school. I would lead "tours" for the neighborhood children! Consequently (I guess!) I do tend to haunt them wherever I go!

Hey Davers, sorry that I'm a bit late, but thanks for the compliment. I must've had computer trouble and couldn't get back to the thread. I was searching for something I contributed to and found this. I hope I haven't left more no-responses" out there. I wouldn't do it on purpose. Well, just wanted to say hey if your still out there.
Hey, better late than never!
Will

Millstone Township, NJ(Zone 6b)

A bit late but found this thread on cemetary trees and had to add these from the cemetary within view of my house in Camden, NJ

Great fastigiate Gingko

Thumbnail by syringa12

There are about 6-7 of these ancient sassafrass. Didn't realize they got so big!

Thumbnail by syringa12

here's another

Thumbnail by syringa12
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

syringa12,
Thanks for posting the pics!

Is the ginkgo male or female? That's a great tree; someone should propagate it. Very nice form.
Thanks again,
Mike

It's a male

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.