Devil's Claw from seed

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Any thing special? I thought wildflower - should be easy. Then I read in the plant files they can be hard from seed. I know the seed is fresh thanks to roadrunner just is there anything special I need to do or just plant them out?

Thanks Mitch

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

The seeds may be planted in well-spaced basins or in rows 2-4 feet (1.2 m) apart, just as you would plant cucumbers or squash. You should plant the seeds in late spring when the soil is warm and there is no danger of frost. Soaking the seeds of Proboscidea parviflora ssp. parviflora in warm tap water appears to stimulate germination and increase the percentage of young seedlings.

Seeds should be covered with a half inch (1.3 cm) of soil (preferably with a top layer of planter mix/mulch) and kept moist until germination. Annual devil's claw plants grow in a variety of soils, but thrive in rich loam soil with regular weekly soaking. They are very heat tolerant and their blossoms and foliage make an attractive mid-summer flower garden.

Proboscidea louisianica ssp. louisianica readily reseeds itself and becomes naturalized, but poses no serious threat to your garden unless you step on one of the hooked claws barefooted.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I grew them for a few years and found them very easy. Germination was fast (sowed in peat pots) and they grew fast. Just gave them plenty of sun and the same fertilizing as other annuals. Give em some room because they really spread out. And be careful when cleaning up in fall; those seed pods are sharp and really grab onto your clothes and dig in when you pull away. The blooms are pretty, but the entire plant is sticky and leaves your skin sticky when touched, so definitely best kept away from pathways. Good luck, Neal.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks - good to hear it is nothing really hard! Mitch

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Mitch, I'm surprised they aren't already part of the ditch plants there.
Sidney

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

These were a favorite plant of mine a few years ago. I got some last year too and learned a valuable thing-they are great for catching bugs in the greenhouse. LOL I've always enjoyed the plants kind of forgot. Now to go nag Jo. :)

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Nope not this far South in Texas yet . . . Sidney we are wanting them for herbal use here at the house and have looked in fields everywhere. It is a native to this area but being there are no wild places left in Dallas Co in all reality so that mught be why they are not here.

Okay Mitch, what are the herbal uses. They were a favorite of my childhood in the panhandle. I have some to plant and may have to look for some secret dirt to plant them on. Having an herbal use will help my search.
Sidney

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

The claws are used to help arthritis. My wifes is getting really bad so we are working on anything and everything herbal that might help.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Mitch, there's an old mountain herbalist here (who has a little herb shop) who recommends Joe Pye weed (Eupatorium purpurea) for arthritis. He used to work as a barber and had to retire several years ago because of arthritis. He then got into herbs and now swears that a tea made from the root of Joe Pye has stopped his symptoms. Have you ever seen any references to this?

I use DMSO, but will read up on the Devils Claws. Do you make tea or apply topically.
Sidney

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Sidney we have been told a tea.

Gemini JPW - we have heard of this we hope to mix some of the best together into one great tea. We are also trying Yucca, Pineapple, Marshmallow... and a few other things just ot see what works best for her. Dr gave her no hope told her to live with the pain or stop walking - not going to heppen so we are looking into everything we can find to see what can really work.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Mitch, I have tons of it, so if you need some fresh roots, give a holler :)
Neal

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks - will let you know how things go here. I am trying to grow it in our TX heat this year and see how things go (been told it will not grow here but I have heard that before and shade is all they needed... )

Moody, TX(Zone 8a)

MitchF We have Devils Claw growing in our pasture. If you like I will look for you some should some come up this spring. We usually pull them up as soon as we see them as they really can do harm to the animals if the seedpod attaches to one of their legs. What part of the plant do you use for the tea? If it is the leaves I would think it would really taste nasty as when you crush the leaves they give off a bad odor (to me). Whoever told you it will not grow in the Texas heat is wrong as it grows in full sun with no care at all.
Patsy

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks Patsy - The seed pods are what we have been told to use by an elder of my fathers tribe.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

They re-seed like weeds here..I have to pull and spray a lot of them.

Larkie

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I cut a little strip in the side of the seed cover with a manicure scissors or something with a very fine thin blade. I then peel the coat off and plant it that way. That seed coat is like leather, so I do this to speed up the germination. I heard they like it hot and dry. I grew mine at the bottom of the driveway next to the concrete one year and it flourished.

Moody, TX(Zone 8a)

I have read about taking the very young seed pod and making pickles out of them. Never tried them. Wonder if they would be good. Mitch-I will check in a couple of weeks to see if there are any coming up where I know there were plants last year. If so I will see if I can get you some seedlings.
Patsy

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks Patsy!

Onancock, VA(Zone 7b)

To KayJones,Independence,Mo.
Your thread on proboscidea louisianica is very good.I grew some years ago in Salisbury,Md. At the present time I connot find any place to buy seeds. Can you supply?I would be happy to give you my e-mail address and home address.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.