Can you WS any Veggies?

York, PE(Zone 5a)

I would like to try out this winter sowing thing. ....but my thing is veggies. Are there any that can be winter sown.
Thanks.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Look two threads down!

Auburn, MA(Zone 5b)

I've done lettuce with great success. Works great....plus you get early germination (cool weather, you know), which gets you that instant gratification thing. :) I ended up with more lettuce than I could possibly use. Although....I left my gate open once and the rabbit took care of the excess. :/

Seems like most veggies do fine when they're sown direct, so I can't see the benefit of WS them. But....I've done tomatoes and peppers this way. My tomatoes did really well. They start out small, but take off once they're in the ground and catch up with the indoor seedlings by summer. The trick is to have a nice warm Spring, I think. Last Spring was so wet and cold, it was late May before I could get them planted. By the time they were producing, it was too close to frost. They did last longer than the ones I bought though. Same thing with my peppers. I think I need to find a warm dry place place for them. I didn't have them in a good place last year. I'm trying them both again anyway.....and crossing my fingers for good weather this Spring.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I have a few on my list as well..

Cucurbita Pepo Kojac
Peppers, Sweet Antohi Romanian
Tomato : Gartenperle
Tomato : Heirloom Box Car Willie
Tomato : Heirloom Brandywine Pink

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Lettuce and other veggies that like cold weather are fine to ws now. Tomatoes & peppers are warm weather lovers and you could start to ws them next month. Plus, you won't have to "harden" them off! A real bonus!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I'm going for it. I've got probably thirty tomato cultivars alone, and more than that of combined veggies. Here we go!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Zeppy: Best of luck wsing your thirty tomato cultivars! They will definitely keep you busy for quite a while! :~) I have lots of tomato seeds too. I probably will only sow 2 seeds from each variety. Even then, I will have a tomato jungle by August! Nothing tastes as good as home grown tomatoes freshly picked from the garden! YUM!!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I agree - I haven't grown them in awhile - so I am looking forward to them!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

zeppy-- is this the thread you are referring to?

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/578658/

I think their list of veggies that like 'cold' is a good place to start for wintersowing...

I'm going to try using the rowcovers on them next year, just like the researcher described... t.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.