Tallest tree for zone 5?

Franksville, WI

Need help in planning a special garden. Which tree would you suspect grows the tallest that would survive in zone 5?

Are there any giant sequoia hybrids hardy to zone 5? I've only found zone 6 so far.

Thanks.

Redwoods are the tallest followed by Eucalyptus I think. Neither of which will survive by you.

I think you are going to need to take a close look at Cottonwoods, Poplars, and Eastern Pine followed closely by Oaks. Those are the tallest I can think of that would be able to survive in your area.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Illinois' tallest tree is a Northern Red Oak at 165'. Many others could grow tall in the right circumstances--Ash, Baldcypress, Black Walnut, Sycamore, Tuliptree, Cottonwood, Hickories of many sorts, various Oaks, there is even a 145' tall Honeylocust. What exactly is this special garden being designed for? Maybe that would help narrow it down.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have three trees that I bought locally labeled Sequoiadendron. Now at 8 years they are about 20 ft, and are supposed to get quite large. As Kevin said know why or what the special garden is for would be a help.

DonnaS

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Kid, You must be planning to live almost forever. I have an engelmann spruce that I planted 7 years ago that has grown a 4' leader each year. Pretty impressive conifer. Ken

Franksville, WI

More background on the garden: This spring I am putting in a large garden in front of my house in memory of my husband that passed away recently. One of his memorable traits was that he was quite tall (6'9"). I thought it would be appropriate if I planted a single 'tallest' tree to represent him. I will fill the remaining area with smaller trees, shrubs, blue flowering perennials, pond, deck, etc. The tree will be planted far away from any buildings and fast growth rate is not a necessity as it will be a symbol of him.

Does this help narrow it down? I sincerely appreciate your responses as my research ability is a little limited right now.

DonnaS, I see you are in zone 5a, has your Sequoiadendron suffered any winter dieback?

Thanks,
Kids

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Tulip poplar is the fastest growing tall tree I know of. They grow over 100ft tall.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I think the biggest most beautiful tree that no body would cut down in the next 200 years is a Ginko Biloba. (of course a male variety) PS I have talked to God and he says the only time I get to return to earth as a spirit is to visit my garden.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2006 11:22 PM

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

a second vote for tulip poplar, fast growing, tallest tree east of the
mississippi (?), close to 200 feet.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

There is no comparison to the Giant Sequoia. It makes everything around it small, it's growth is impressive, it stands tall in any landscape. I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your husband. The Giant Sequoia would best reflect your husbands tall stature. Planting a larger B&B tree would be more successful if you can find one. There is a cultivar that Dirr lists in his book, Dirrs Trees & Shrubs for Warm Climates, as 'Hazel Smith' which is bluish and supposedly greater hardiness to 7b.

Thumbnail by growin
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

kidshavfeathers:

Quoting:
I thought it would be appropriate if I planted a single 'tallest' tree to represent him. I will fill the remaining area with smaller trees, shrubs, blue flowering perennials, pond, deck, etc. The tree will be planted far away from any buildings and fast growth rate is not a necessity as it will be a symbol of him.

All the ideas presented above are excellent tall trees. With the parameters you gave (representational by height and no need for rapidity of growth), however, selecting a plant proven to grow a very long time and to great heights in Wisconsin, in your conditions, is prudent. The last thing you want is a tree that could be lost due to climatic extremes normal to your area.

Your first decision point might be to decide if you want an evergreen (conifer, needled-type like a pine or spruce) tree or a deciduous tree (oak, cottonwood, etc.). Whichever path you choose here, then maybe you'd also like to consider characteristics to represent (in addition to height).

•Stalwart (huge broad spreading branches, burly trunk, etc.)
•Slender (much taller than wide; slimmer graceful branches)
•Stark/architectural (fewer branches, more open, but dramatic)
•Sweet (as in fragrant flowers, or colorful fruit and fall color)

or other traits you might think of.

Overall, though, I think you want a plant that is going to last, without you having to go to excessive effort to keep it thriving. Some of the plants you could choose are massive specimens elsewhere, but may not (probably not) live very long or in a thrifty manner in Wisconsin.

The oaks (genus Quercus) are probably considered the durable long-lived tree for your area. Cottonwoods (Populus deltoides), some maples (Acer), and willows (Salix) are large trees that may or may not have the longest life span. Finally, eastern white pine (Pinus strobus) was a staple tree of some Wisconsin forests.

It is admirable to plant a tree for posterity and for commemoration. I manage trees in large landscapes in my community, and I often collaborate with individuals wishing to do precisely what you are doing except their trees will be growing in the public realm.

I wish you success in your choice and your endeavor.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Just something I found that was interesting-
http://hotcakencyclopedia.com/ho.TreeSpirits.html

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Quite an interesting story.

My Sequoiadendron trees have never shown any indication of damage from weather.

Knowing that you want to plant a tree for your deceased ( sorry you lost him) husband who you said was very tall, I will send a photo of my two watchdog tall trees. They are almost 6 years old now. Chamaecyparis nootkatensis pendula, Alaska Cedar.

DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Forgot to say that the trees are probably 25 feet tall now at 6 years. I have another one that I planted before the house was in place, about 11 years ago and it is by now a little taller and fuller, predicted to 35 to 45 feet at maturity.

DonnaS

Franksville, WI

I believe the Tulip Tree - Liriodendron tulipifera will be perfect for this situation and I would not have considered it on my own. In the few thousand trees that we have planted over the last five years, I do not have one, so it will be tall and unique in the landscape; it is native to the state that he was born in; and it is the state tree of Kentucky where he went to college.

DonnaS, I also really like your watchdog trees, I will look at them for a spot in my backyard.

Thank you all for your replies, although I have been a lurker for exactly a year, this was my first post. I’ll post pictures later this year in an appropriate forum as the garden progresses, right now the area is planted in winter wheat and will need to be graded before the spring rains start.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Tallest trees hardy in zone 5 are Eastern White Pine, Norway Spruce, European and Caucasian Silver Firs (to 60m), followed by Tulip-tree (55m).

Resin

This message was edited Feb 25, 2006 4:38 PM

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Kidshavfeathers, my only advice for the tulip tree is make sure that you get one from a northern seed source. Trees from Kentucky for example might not be able to take Wisconsin winters.

Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

Kidshavfeathers, Tulip trees are absolutely beautiful, tall and graceful. Longwood Gardens has a forest of these giants and you can look up endlessly as you walk the paths. They just go on and on and on. You will not be disappointed if it is successful in your region!
Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.