Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Tallest tree for zone 5?, 1 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: Tallest tree for zone 5?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Tallest tree for zone 5?
ViburnumValley wrote:
kidshavfeathers:
Quoting:I thought it would be appropriate if I planted a single 'tallest' tree to represent him. I will fill the remaining area with smaller trees, shrubs, blue flowering perennials, pond, deck, etc. The tree will be planted far away from any buildings and fast growth rate is not a necessity as it will be a symbol of him.

All the ideas presented above are excellent tall trees. With the parameters you gave (representational by height and no need for rapidity of growth), however, selecting a plant proven to grow a very long time and to great heights in Wisconsin, in your conditions, is prudent. The last thing you want is a tree that could be lost due to climatic extremes normal to your area.

Your first decision point might be to decide if you want an evergreen (conifer, needled-type like a pine or spruce) tree or a deciduous tree (oak, cottonwood, etc.). Whichever path you choose here, then maybe you'd also like to consider characteristics to represent (in addition to height).

•Stalwart (huge broad spreading branches, burly trunk, etc.)
•Slender (much taller than wide; slimmer graceful branches)
•Stark/architectural (fewer branches, more open, but dramatic)
•Sweet (as in fragrant flowers, or colorful fruit and fall color)

or other traits you might think of.

Overall, though, I think you want a plant that is going to last, without you having to go to excessive effort to keep it thriving. Some of the plants you could choose are massive specimens elsewhere, but may not (probably not) live very long or in a thrifty manner in Wisconsin.

The oaks (genus Quercus) are probably considered the durable long-lived tree for your area. Cottonwoods (Populus deltoides), some maples (Acer), and willows (Salix) are large trees that may or may not have the longest life span. Finally, eastern white pine (Pinus strobus) was a staple tree of some Wisconsin forests.

It is admirable to plant a tree for posterity and for commemoration. I manage trees in large landscapes in my community, and I often collaborate with individuals wishing to do precisely what you are doing except their trees will be growing in the public realm.

I wish you success in your choice and your endeavor.