Hosta Gab Fest

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I do not care if they are men women black yellow blue are from the moon if they earn something they have the right to expect it and should. That is what is wrong with american society. do the best and being the best does not matter the whole country runs on bull. I cannot look at myself in the mirror if I was given something because I happen to be white male and someone else that was better never got it because he or she was something else.

(Zone 7b)

Amen to that.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oz,
Glad to hear she won,,,those dirty dogs,,,trying to keep her from a position just cause she's a woman,,,they should be ashamed of themselves! Good for you for taking a stand!!!!

Sylvia,
Get the Hosta Finder,,,it'll save you the price of it every year.

Kelly

Dallas, TX

YOU GO OZ! you know I know what you mean... but those guys are cruel ...are any of those guys the ladies husband?Kudos to you.:)
Sylvia

No Sylvia she is divorced for a long time I think. Some of those ladies actually suported the husbands about voting her down. Well that can happen to a weak woman she will be told what to think. I never expected that of mine. If anything it is the other away around. See some of them think that the Elks is a mens organization no matter what the notional organization says. From now on they will be advised to not even mutter that stuff to me. I do not intend to be up there but very very little anymore.

Dallas, TX

OZ maybe you better stay around to keep those ladies protected somewhat. I dont understand, the Elks has been around for a long time. you would think they would have caught up with the rest of the world by now.
Sylvia

Sylvia The Elks in some lodges are very community related. In others they are more related to the cheaper booze at the bar. mine is of the latter with a little community service thrown in by the mens side. The Ladies aux is the heart and sole of that place. I am not that much into the hot juice myself. I am a rather poor excuse for a brother elk from this lodge.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Doin' the Happy Hosta Dance,,,,,got my Hosta Finder in the mail,,,,can't wait to sit and look at it page by page and at all the new ones that are listed this year,,,,,then I"ll be sitting at the puter on the Hosta Library website looking a pics,,,LOL Just Looking though,,,no purchasing!!!!!!

What the world is a hosta finder and how did you get one anyway.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Second

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hosta Finder info is above on Feb. 27th, 10:29 a.m.

Cool! Thanks -now I can look some up and be looking for them when I go to Jim's Hostas - Becki

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

In just got my check in the mail for mine yesterday. I hope there is a quick turn around.

However, I failed on my no buying anymore hostas. Don't say anything ANYBODY!!!

I got a 'special' offer from Direct Hostas for Lakeside Beach Captain which is a sport of Lakeside ShoreMaster. So to make the shipping more reasonable, LOL, I ordered 3 of them and 7 more. 10 in all.

I got (or ordered) 3 Eye Declare, 1 Old Glory, and 3 Sunshine Glory.

I'm not gonna order anymore. Sure I'm not.

I have ordered from Direct Hostas every year for the last 3 years. The plants are kind of small but they are healthy and have done very well, haven't lost one yet. (crossing my fingers)

Here is a picture of Lakeside Beach Captain, wish mine could look like this immediately.

Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom
Dallas, TX

Lovely Susan, truly lovely.
Becky ...after Jim told me half of what I orderd was not minis, he asked if I wanted him to switch things out ... I ageed ... then I emailed him with four as a replacement ... next I emailed him again ... not to send me the Medusa because I had one. Well I guess he got tired of my hysteria, so he asked me to start over ...
I am really embarrased. lol so please apologize for me.:)
Now ... I am afraid this confusion ... I created ... is going to cost me big time! I spent two hours going thru his site Sat and now I have to start over...... its frightening! lol I need my White Wall Tires too .... anyway I am beggining to babble now... and I cant spell...

Oh, Susan - Lakeside Beach Captain is fantastic - absolutely beautiful - I'm in love! Dang it - now I'll have to get one - and don't give me that Kitty smile of yours -

And Sedrick - when I see him, I'll be so apologetic for you, there's no way he will be anything but charmed (yeah, right - maybe if I was in my 20's again) - but I'm sure he understands the hosta disease we have since he has it too - Becki

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Susan, I think you made a wise purchase, that's a stunning plant, to be sure!

Sandy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

That's a stunning plant. But I suspect that it will remain to be admired from afar. Most of the Lakeside Hostas are a bit larger than I have space for and this one looks as though it could get fairly large too. Susan, how much space do you have?

Ann

Lots and lots, just started a new hosta hill and is easily expandable. Well not 'easily' but there IS room.

I need to try to get in touch with the people I found in the fall that had H. Dustin. My son's name.

I promised him I would try to get one. Also Dust Devil which is much easier to find. LOL

More leaves to do today, the wind is 90 mph, LOL, so once raked I'm sure they will be right back.

Susan
=^..^=

Dallas, TX

Susan How are you going rake all that property with your Bum shoulder? Surely you jest! I am on steroids (prednasone?) for my arthiritis. I told the doctor he had to make me walk while I am Italy, well I am better but not the best ... I think I better go back and get that shot in the hip too. Susan you might need one of those shots too.:)
have they taken your stitches out yet?
Sylvia

Sylvia, LOL, they took the stitches (staples) out six weeks ago. I have been in physical therapy for six weeks too.

And NO I am not doing the raking. DH is, I try to do a little bit with my left arm, but it is hard and gives me a PITB, literally.

I try to help a little bit just so DH will keep after it feeling so sorry for me.

Susan
=^..^=

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Susan,
oooo, that is a lovely one. 10 more???? Shame, shame,,,,tsk, tsk,,,we can't leave you alone on that puter for a minute,,I am going to call DH and walk him through how to make sites unavailable to you,,,,LOL,,I know you said not to say anything,,,,but you know me well enough that I just HAD to,,,,roflol. Oh, and use that shoulder for all the sympathy you can get for as long as possible,,,milk it for all it's worth!

Sylivia,
ROFLOL,,,,Methinks you are trying to make Jim crazy!!!!!! The next time he see's your name on an order he's gonna be curled up in the fetal position saying, "Don't make me look at her order" LOL

Sylvia, dax, Sandy & Ann and myself,
We should not be instigating her by saying how lovely it is,,,,,LOL

What is your weather out there today Susan. They have us getting rain the next six of 7 days. a lot of that is going to be warm rain. A few days up into the 70s.

There will be no stopping the Hosta after that. One of the Silleto had about 8 shoots 1 1/2 inches high. Blue Angels are coming thru also, A Many spendored Thing, Night Before Christmas, Love Pat and Smurai all have broken through. In spite of that I gave everything a shot of 12-12-12 this morning. I think with another week of warm weather it will take a lot to hurt a hosta now. If it does turn into something real cold I have large plastic covers I will have to put out. By the looks of the Blue Angels nubs they are going to be REAL giants this year. I am thinking about pulling my Sum And Substance this year. I do not really like the plant all that much. Floppy leaf stuff I dont like. Leaves get so big they lay on the ground and get filthy. I have a young Sum Of It All. I hope it looks better. Samuari's nodes are a big as last years Blue Angels. That is a nice colored hosta looks so much like Francis Williams except it has a lot more substance to the leaf and it gets about the size of a Blue Angel. I bet most people would not know the difference between the two. At the same size and side by side.

No, no, no, Not FAIR!! Here it's only 40 and raining - the poor things haven't shown the tips of their heads at all and I don't blame them! But at least I can dream so bring on the pictures of yours so I can drool over them - and what is this about stitiches and hips and pain and recovering - from what? Susan? Sylvia? Do we have walking wounded here? Hope you're all doing well ---

And I'm still going for that "CAPTAIN" - he's just too gorgeous!

Becki

Hosta! Hosta! Hosta! Ooooh, that's all I *hear* from y'all! I don't even know what they are ... and I want hostas! LOL My DH ain't gonna like y'all. Nope he ain't gonna like y'all *one bit*. I bought an Elisabeth, but I want a fragrant one. Anyone know the name of a fragrant hosta that will make it in the south?
... Elaine

Avon, NY(Zone 5b)

Well I can see that this forum is gonna be NO GOOD for my wallet..lol After seeing Susan's post and seeing LS Beach Captain, I came accross my "offer" via email and Of course I couldn't resist. Using the same logic of taking advantage of shipping costs I also ended up buying an additional 5 hostas
Deep Blue Sea
Deja Blue
Allegon Fog
Mack the Knife
Vim and Vigor.

Oz it sounds like your hostas are raring to go... I had never heard of Samuri and checked it out at the HL. That's very pretty. I don't have Francis Williams but have heard about it being slow and it's leaves tends to burn.Have always put it on my list, but always end buying something else because of that. Sounds like Samuri holds up betterand would make a good substitute?

Hi Elaine..(my name is Elaine too lol) check out Plant Delights list of warm climate and fragrant hostas
http://www.plantdelights.com/Tony/warmhosta.html
Plantaginea is fragrant, and would be a good choice for the warmer climate. http://www.plantdelights.com/Tony/fraghosta.html
Elaine

This message was edited Mar 7, 2006 6:38 PM

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oz,
You CAN"T tell all the rest of us holics that you've got hostas coming up and then not give us pictures,,,,it's simply nasty of you,,,,LOL Get out there and get some pics man!

Becki,
Susan had shoulder surgery a couple few months ago and Sylvia has Arthritis,,,she's going to Italy and needs to be able to get around well while she's there,,,Oh,,God help Italy,,,,ROFLOL

Elaine,
He's gonna Hate us by the end of the summer,,,,LOL Some Fragrant hostas are,
'Fragrant Bouquet'
'Guacamole'
'Plantagenea' I'm still working on that fragrant hosta list for you,,,LOL,,,,Maybe you want to start a thread in the Hosta Forum asking for the names of Fragrant Hosts,,,I'm sure you'll get all kinds of info.

Walnut,
Ah, another hosta holic in our midst,,,,,what a warm feeling that gives me,,,,LOL Yes, your wallet is gonna take one heck of a beating this summer if you frequent this Forum,,,LOL

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Susan,
I can't find Lakeside Beach Captain in Directs site. Help me,,,,LOL

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Checked my e-mail,,,there it is,,,,,shucky darn,,,,,I KNEW I shouldn't check it!!!!!!!!

Dax Susan had shoulder surgery awhile back and it sarill bothers her. Best place to find out about it is over on The mornig coffee forum

Avon, NY(Zone 5b)

Yep that's what happened to me. Knew I should have not looked , but had to, and the next thing I knew I had ordered lol.

Kelly I won't blame any of you for my addiction, I have been there for quite some time. But I get the feeling you guys won't be assisting me with refraining from buying any more. LOL

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Wal,
Oh, non of us *blame* each other for our addiction to hostas,,,but then again, we do,,,like in this instance,,,Susan HAD to tell us about that beauty,,,,LOL we are ALL extremely bad enablers,,,,LOL

I have to say I am Completely PROUD of myself,,,I didn't order,,,,yipeeeeeee,,,, I knew if I kept telling myself I have no room I would get through the spring fever ordering,,,LOL

Oh my goodness! Am I *ever* droolin now! This ain't no fair! My nose is twitchin now. Hmmm, he's at a steak business meeting without me tonight. I promised I'd get even. This looks like a good place to start!!! LOL LOL Thanks y'all for the info!! :)

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Kelly - Repeat after me: I have no room - send them to Sandy; I have no room - send them to Sandy (for safe keeping of course!)

Elaine Walnut - I've got Allegan Fog and Deja Blue on order for this year too! What's that saying "Great minds...." oh something like that! LOL

I've never had my Frances Williams burn, but it only gets a couple of hours of sun. I'm wondering whether it's possibly the southern climes that burn it? I noticed you were in 5b. I haven't grown Samarai, but I feel like I should defend Frances Williams. It's a beaut at 11 years old, divided once, this pic shows it's now two side by side. Plus, since it's so old (classic) it would probably be a whole lot cheaper!

Sandy
(the cheap enabler....well today anyway)

Thumbnail by sanannie

KELLY That Hosta is a new introduction from Lakeside. It is not registered if that is important to you.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2006 6:46 PM

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Could someone tell me what the 2006 Hosta of the Year is?
Thanks

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Elaine,
You know the saying,,,Paybacks are a witch,,,LOL Have to keep it clean!

Sandy,
LOL,,,,O.K.,,,,LOL There is that little garden tour we're planning on soon,,,,,mwa ha ha ha

oz,
I'm one of those holics who doesn't care if they are registered or not. I have 'Lakeside Shoremaster' and it looks a lot like that one,,,so I abstained for now,,,LOL

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

blue,
Good question,,,I don't know yet. Haven't heard. Now, I'll be on a mission,,,LOL

(Zone 7b)

Ooh, Sandy, I bought that one late last year, and your pictures remind me why!

Kelly
quoted
"Paybacks are a witch,,,"

Now ain't that the truth! hehehe LOL LOL

Dallas, TX

Susan have you noticed how Kelly just loves to tell our business? LOL, She dont even give us a chance to tell it! I am surprised she didnt post pictures of your shoulder. lol Remember when she posted that picture of my courtyard in its most disgusting state? lol

OZ you can send me that Sum & Substance. it will look good flopping out one of my pots. lol

Sandy I got Aleghany Fog on order too, from whom? I dont know. :)

Elaine (l01) what are you doing here? lol and btw the Lemon Grass didnt make it, but my chocolate mint is running wild.

Well I think I better get started on Jims order now. Yall please pray that I dont go overboard.

sylvia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.