Hosta Gab Fest

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi All,

We used to have a gab thread so we could just talk about whatever we wanted to and not get the other threads off topic. I think we need to do the same again,,,,so here is the new gab fest thread

Kelly

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Good idea! Glad for now just to be able to connect to DG. Ann

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Ann,

Remember when we used to do these and how much fun they were?

Glad you're back on

Kelly

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

Kelly,

Boo!

You're it!

mg

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,You are a hoot,,,I just love it

Um, just thought maybe I should ask what It is that I am????

This message was edited Feb 24, 2006 1:39 PM

My feet don't fit on a tree branch.

mg

Thumbnail by mornin_gayle
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

ROFLMBO

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Well not much gabbing here for a bunch of women.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oz,
LOL you're right,,,it usually takes a few days for everyone to find the new thread and start yapping,,,,,it'll start though,,,and then,,,,watch out,,,,LOL

Avon, NY(Zone 5b)

So what do you all gab about?

Elaine

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hostas!!!!

GEEEE two women gabbing and only 8 EIGHT words. New worlds record.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Oz........I can guarantee you that things are going to change. I received my Hosta Finder in the mail a few days ago and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It is getting soooo hard to not be able to get out in the garden. If we can't be doin' it, at least we can talk about it.

Marie

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

We are predicted to hit 60 today. Maybe everyone is outside!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Marie,

You got your Hosta Finder already????? OOOOOO, how is it,,,have you looked at every page already???? I SO CAN'T wait to get mine,,,,I hope it comes soon. I thought they weren't mailed out before March 1st? Glad they are,,,I'll be watching my mail really closely.

Is it spring yet,,,I want to get outside. I'm going to get my list printed out and be out there every day to see what is happening. As soon as I see each one popping up I'm going to put the date by each one. Can't wait,,,although I guess I have to,,,LOL Mother Nature has to do her thing.

Kelly

*Ahem*

Hosta Finder??

mg

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Kelly what is a hosta finder? Is it like www.daylilysearch.com ? Please explain? Or more like an eureka book?

Lula, GA

Ha, Kelly, I have hostas, really up!

My montana Aureomarginata is up about 5" and has many more eyes this year- I counted 9! I'm keeping a paper record, continues from last, and also a pictorial one. I posted this photo on another thread already. Also, my astilbes and dicentras are up several inches. Can I say it?? Spring is here!!

Well, as usual, Ozark is outgabbing us all!! LOL!

So, just to let ya know. Last year I was (and still am) on most of the hostas forums and the fact the folks would post photos as their hostas emerging as Spring came, was great cause I got to enjoy it for 4 months- again and again and again, startin' here in the South in March, and just moving further and further north, finally into Canada in June. It's was great/is great!!

So enjoy! It's going to be a l-o-o-o-ng Spring!! LOL!

Thumbnail by wholyhosta
Avon, NY(Zone 5b)

Oh I forgot to order mine..better go do it. Got a reminder awhile back, but forgot all about it.
Bluegrass... The hosta finder is a catalog listing all the names of the hostas for sale and gives you the name of vendors selling them and what price they are offering them at.

here is the link hope it works
http://hosta.net/finderform.htm

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Walnut,
Your link worked fine. ooo, get that finder ordered.

mg and blue,
Yes, it is a book that has listing of the cultivars, the nurseries that wish to participate in the book have their prices listed for each cultivar. It is a Great price reference book. I don't know how I ever got along without mine. I ordered my first one last year and within 2 months it looked like it was a year old,,,LOL I keep it right on my puter desk so when I'm bidding on something or wanting to order something I have it right there. I still do a Google search to see some other prices but use the HF All the time. I'm going to get out to the mailbox and see if mine came. It really did pay for itself over and over.

Brenda,
oooo, I am so envious,,,what a wonderful sight!!!! Keep those pics coming.

Kelly

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Wish they had something like that for CANADIAN nurseries!

Ann

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Ann,
I wish they would for you all up there also,,,,,;o{

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Kelly, Ann and I near knocked ourselves out researching, typing and sharing the hostas on our wish list, matched up with where available locally and the price. Phew! Hmmm, Ann maybe we could start a business on the side? waddya t'ink? ;-)

Sandy

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Sandy,

You and Ann prolly could. Gosh, I say go for it.

That's what this guy does. I don't know if he asks the nursery's to participate or if they contact him,,,but it is a very organized book and it helps tremendously.

He lists the cultivar name, who introduced it, what year it was introduced and then he lists the nursery's underneath and their prices. He charges $15.00 per book. It's a very simple book that could be done basically in Excel.

Kelly

I was just down in the yard and i got a Night Before christmas that had buds sticking up about 1 inch I just covered them with 3 inches of cotton burr compost. Not ready for that here yet. Today I am soaked otthe skin playing with the dock pump. looks like anoth new one this year. We run that pump at least 30 hours a week and sometimes 50 hrs a week They last me about 3 yrs and then they go out. Can you imagine what your water bill would be a month in the summer if you did that. Last 2 years have been the worst. I cannot use it at low presure I have to raise the water over 25 ft by the time it reaches the top of my lot. New pump is going to be $220 bucks. That still is a lot cheaper than 3 years of water bills for garden watering.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Kelly,
Seeing as how Ann just retired, I don't think she'll bite! LOL Just kiddin' anyway...don't want to give up my play time.

Oz,
Gabbity-gab-gab-gab...(running away very fast)

Sandy

Well if its not the daffy taffy herself. I am going to take a warm nap. It is a advantage of being retired. I got soaked good by the dock water pump today. suppose I am going to have to replace it. About $225 bucks but thank god i do not have a water bill for my watering around here. so I bet I am getting off cheaper having to buy one every 3 yrs are so.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oz,
I agree a new pump every 3 years is Nothing compared to what you water bills would have been. One month last summer mine was $130.00,,,grrrrr, but it was either that or lose the new babies,,,it's a no brainer,,,LOL

Sandy,
Sticking my tongue out at both of you,,,retired and having play time,,,,sheesh! LOL

Well, better get some things done and get my hiney out of this chair.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I dunno. You think we could make it pay? Probably too late for this year.

Ann

See Kelly I know that Sandy originaly came from Wales. I called her a Limey onetime and she very quickly corrected h]me that those were british and she comes from Wales and is therefore a Taffy. That is therefore a daffy taffy. I have to go to a meeting in about a hour that is going to enrage me. We have a small group of men at the lodge that do not like the idea of women getting into leadership offices. This lady has been nothing but a great help as long as she has been in the lodge and she has moved thru 3 leadership positions. now the one she is running for wil place her in position to be the next presidant. she has earned it. These jerks do little other than saddle up to the bar and drink and do political stuff. I just am not going bot buy it. I told someone the other day she brought new qualifications with her and he said what exactly and I told him she is not a lush. I hate that kind of stuff

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

You tell 'em OZ!!!

LOL

Susan
=^..^=

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi - FYI everyone - just got notice of the big spring sale at Bridgewood Gardens - they're my favorite online hosta company - big, beautiful, and healthy plants - Dax

Dallas, TX

I got my notice too Dax, but I am not nearly impressed as I am with the Dirty Plant sale. lol
Oz I am really impressed that you are one of those guys that let us women do the "Bacon" thing! lol
Kelly if I need to know something out of the Hosta Finder, I am hoping you will tell me. 15.00 will buy me another hosta or two! ;)
sylvia

Sylvia all that needs to happen is I see discri mination and you might as well have waved a very red cloth in front of a bull. I ahve lived it and i know what it does to people.

We have a womens Aux. Let me list vro you here what they have done for the community in the past year. since the year starts in april. I will list

April- had a raffel money went to STAFF $400(This is a aminal protection outfit to help them in building a new building $250 went to the school district for some needs they had. $100 went to the local girl scouts.

May- they had a rumage sale and took in $4200. Gave another $500 to STAFF for the building they were building. $100 went to Rally for care.

June- Gave $500 to morgan country kids care.

July-Raffeled a quilt to help one of the lodge families and gave them $628

August- gave $500 to help the school district. Gave $500 to help out the Seniors Center

September-Took in $2300 at a fair raffel. Gave a free dinner steak to all the local Law enforcement in the area.

October- sent $600 to Katrina releaf.

November- bought $200 worth of school supplies for a local school. Gave the lodge emplyees $250 christmas gift.

December- bought groceries and presents for 68 families that included 172 children.

January- pais $3000 for a new organ for the lodge.

February- Gave the lodge $10000 as a annual gift

March- They will be awarding 5 scholarships to local high schoolers.

Now you want to know what the mens side did ????

nothing except support what they were doing. Sit at the bar drink thier selves senless and try a little discrimination.

I said to the ladies aux president you all have done so much this year what have the other sons of - done.

I was in not mood for tit for tat tonight. This man they were trying to run against the ladie came up and ask me for my vote. He said he felt we were with him. I said yeah you going to stop those women and he said yeah. I could have knocked his butt through a wall and been so happy. I told him NO not going to vote for discriminating B------. I have had it with the undercurrent. It is best nobody talks to me period.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Well, what was the outcome of the vote???

Did she win?

Susan
=^..^=

She won.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Woohoo!

Sandy it was very good she won. My whole adult life I have fought discrimination real hard. I will not accept it in any way shape or form. I have lived it I know what it does to people. The name of the Lodge if you are interested in that is Elks. They got other things that are discrimatory that bug me as well. But they are the social center of the community. If she would have lost that vote I would not have cared to even be part of a community with those values.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Oz, Good for you. Glad she won.

Ann

(Zone 7b)

I love this thread - especially your list, ozarkian!

Found myself grinning with delight to hear she won!! Yahoo for men who LIKE women!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.