Plant a Row for the Hungry

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi All,

Have any of you heard of this program or participated? I saw a commercial about it and was wondering just what it was and how it works. I noticed that our local botanical garden participates in the program. From what I understand, the County Master Gardeners work with local food banks to provide fresh produce for the hungry but I don't know if individuals can contribute from their own personal gardens.

I think it is a wonderful idea!

Laura

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

You will need to check with your local food bank. Some of them don't like to fool with small amounts. Others encourage back yard gardeners. Other possibilties include rescue missions and safe houses. Sometimes they are more appreciative of small amounts.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Farmerdill,

I wondered how they would deal with small portions. I will check it out. I do know we have a few homes here for runaways, pregnant teenagers and other groups in need and so there are only 10 or so residents in the home. Something to definetly look into. Not that I have been so successful in my veggie gardening that I would have anything to share but if I ever do it would be nice!

Laura

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've never noticed my local food bank having problems with any amount I bring them--they love to see me coming.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.