Seedling Problem-Question

Jamaica Plain, MA

Hey all,
I've sown and am germinating asclepias currasavica(spelling?) along with many other seed. I'm growing them under flourescents and on top of a capillary mat on top of a heating mat. The lights are about 2" above the seedlings. The problem I'm having is this...the seeds are germinating and growing well. The cotyledons are coloring to a light yellow and red, as though there is an iron deficiency. Some are falling off while the seedlings continue to produce leaves and grow. I have put a little seaweed exctract into the 3 gallon tub of water where the mat soaks. The seedlings are not wet, just barely moist so I don't believe overwatering is the issue. I'm wondering if the potash from the seaweed extract is causing the yellowing and reddening of the leaves...I also have Hydrogen peroxide in the water, just about two tablespoons but i don't believe that is the issue. Has anyone ever had this problem and what is the cause of this? My concern is that it will get worse...
I greatly appreciate any help you can provide!!!!
Michael

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

asclepias currasavica - what is common name ?
I had the problem once on tomatoe plants at work but it was in a room with lights that kill algae in ink - was working for newspaper . I put on roof and about 6 lived out of 12 .
Good luck

Jamaica Plain, MA

Hey Tony,
It's tropical butterfly weed...the lights are grow light flourescents...if I were seeing this on full grown plants under lights or outdoors I'd conclude too much light....but it's odd to have it occur in this manner, from the cotyledons first.....
THanks.
Michael

East Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

Are the true leaves healthy looking with green pigment? If the overall plants are green and seem to be actively growing, I'd say that the plants are doing fine. If on the other hand if the first leaves are discolored or lacking in clorophyll then you got problems.

Jamaica Plain, MA

the true leaves are fine and sending up more, but the yellowing and reddening is slowly increasing....I did some research and there is a suggestion that these symptoms can be due to a lack of nitrogen, magnesium or too much fertilizer. I'm going to check out the ingredients of the seed mix to see if there is a type of fertilizer included in the mix. Otherwise I may try adding just a dab of fish emulsion and see if that alters the color.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

You could also try some epson salt , Do a Search first , I just started adding to everything in yard .

Jamaica Plain, MA

I forgot about epsom salts...thanks...i may take them off the capillary matting and see is less water will affect it. I have the same set up as last year and never had this problem.

Eastlake, OH(Zone 5a)

I would not use fertilixer or kelp until the frist true leaves come. Then use the fertilizer at 1/4 strength, and the seawweed solution or kelp at 1/4 strength. Sounds like too much fertilizer, and not enough air circulation.

Jamaica Plain, MA

there's a fan on the seedlings and I haven't used fertilizer until the true leaves are present...that's why I'm surprised...however, the research suggested a lack of nitrogen or magnesium....so i've used some fish emulsion and epsom salts and actually it looks like the problem is subsiding...

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

I've been using fulvic acid on all my seedlings for about a year now, I used to have problems with too much or too little fertilizer. now all my seedlings healthy. hostaim1

Jamaica Plain, MA

what is fulvic acid? WHere have you purchased it?

Eastlake, OH(Zone 5a)

I use the fish emulsion also. Works very well. Just finished transplanting 42 geraniums tonight. Have 8 more to do in a few days. I spray them twice a week.

Jamaica Plain, MA

Thanks Ironsides...I'll give the fish emulsion spray a try and see how that does.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.