Conifers from Seed - Have you started any?

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

photo 2 - (Don't need to show all three)

Here's viewing the bottom of the Pot.

All roots are forced to grow down and out the large holes to be air pruned. Bob Fincham swears by these pots so if he says so, I say so too! Then, they're of perfect size to transplant to a 1-gallon the following year.

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers

I could use about 200 of the Anderson brand so thanks for mentioning where you picked those up.

I made a mistake though when I was looking at your photos. The size and style I need 600 of is just to the right of the Anderson pot. I suppose I should just order 1000 but I want to buy them for a good price. I took the liberty of marking up your photo and circled the one I need to find in bulk-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Yes, I agree. Those Anderson pots are perfect for air pruning and I do re-use the few I have.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

You're good to go Equil. The Anderson Pots come in quantities of 100 per carton. The other pot, I'm not sure what that is, I know it's not a 4 inch but it holds the same amount of soil I'd say.

Also, I realized that the Anderson Pot I photographed is the medium size of the three they offer so you might enquire about size when ordering.

I forget what I paid but I think I ordered 4 cases of (100) and they were like 34.99 per case. The total without shipping anyway for the four cases was an odd number like 142 bucks.

Later,

Dax

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Equil, before you invest in new ones, you might contact Forrest Keeling Nursery to see if they still sell their used ones. I've bought thousands there for pennies on the dollar compared to buying new ones. Haven't done so lately because, like you, I keep recycling them.

Dax, I forgot to ask -- how's the black lab?

Guy S.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi GuyStarHill,

"Healthy" and still active for a 10-year old.

Thanks for asking,

Dax

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Can still retrieve beers or pop from the fridge on call as well!:) He started that at 6 months.

A great pal! Perfect Conifer Collector Dog!!

Dax

The pots I am looking for are 2.5" square by 3.5" high. These are what I need 600 of-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

I have used the plug trays on the far left from these people for some plants. I forot what I paid but they were cheap enough and re-usable-
http://www.hoscoindia.com/plugtrays.htm

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I have seen new and used containers of all shapes and sizes for sale on e-bay.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hey Conifer I just found this. I start 3 of my planters that had annuals in the summer with a scattering of good seeds from my Ponderosa pines. I have many yearlings starting naturally in the meadows and garden beds I have built. These I dig up and start in the long conifer starting pots. After most of the summer I transfer them to 1 gal pots and grow them over 3 yrs in the 1 gallon. Once established in those I have continued to plant them in my open meadow areas around my garden. I like lots of roots so the dry summer doesn't kill them. Last year I have used the 3 planters with peat moss only and scattered the seeds over the peat and left them out on the porch to germinate this year. If all goes well I will have a whole bunch of Ponderosa P. to trade. Of course I have millions of seeds from my winter collection of closed cones. I dry them in my basement and shake out the seeds float them to see what ones actually have seeds stock and plant. I can't wait for my Bristle cone pine to produce cones.

Metairie, LA

Yes, we started a few conifers from seed and I am so glad we did as we lost the "mother" during Hurricane Katrina. It was about 30 feet tall and we used it as a huge Christmas tree with the big colored lights every year. It will be a while before the "babies" get that size.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hey Soferdig,

I think I've been told by the man, Resin, that for my part of the country to grow ponderosa, I should use a Utah Seed Source.

Pinus ponderosa is another Pinus that needs to be planted in masses here regardless of seed source and eventually eliminating the ones showing stress.

I'll see if he chimes in to confirm my distant thought.

Thanks.

(I'm sure this thread or another around April/May will come back up or to life)

Dax

Also, another fellow in Missouri I know of with humid and hot combination Summer conditions has been unsuccessful as well with his "lots" of Pinus ponderosa. He runs a small hobbyist research testing area for conifers:)

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

If he doesn't, I'll at least offer that Utah or any other Rocky Mt. source will do -- just not the Pacific Coast form (variety), which is more robust but less hardy and not suited for you and me here in Illinois.

Guy S.

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Gang
Has anyone done business with Angelgrove here?
They have Himelayan White Pine, Japanese Zelkovas,
and many other fine conifers. Also rare ones and
J.Maples, I love the "moon" leaf one.

These are seeds by the way.
I am also looking for Eucalyptus globulus( not compactus.)
I think they might have that too, I need to go back to their
web site and check.

I would love to trade or pay for postage, shipping and handling forsome pines and some trees.
I used to have a pseudocupressocyparis I think that was its
name, it was a weeping flat fan spray array of cupresses
scales. It was very pretty. I managed to kill it. I had to transplant
it from upstate NY to Long Island, and I did something to it.
The tips started going brown, and no matter if I watered or
fed, it just bit the bullet, I think. I moved to Michigan before it
looked worse. Maybe its still alive. I don't know, but I think
about it all the time.

I have my DH go to the local nurseries and ask the nursery
workers for all their old cells and flats and no.2's. We bring
em home and soak them in bleach soln. before we use them.

We are trying this year to build (LOL i wrote plant a greenhouse)
a greenhouse.
Well if anyone would like some SASBE or "larger", please
let me know. I love trees, and need them like crazy. I love
Green Giant thujas also. I adore Leyland cypresses, all types
and they grow nicely here too. My secret pals are Norway
Spruces, and I have some Metasequoias glyptostroboides that
call me "mom". I also adore my Douglas Firs. I am thinking
about putting in an allee' of 400 feet of Siberian Spruces.
I have about a few weeks before I make up my mind.

Can anyone recommend a fantastic tree book for me? I have
my succulents series and also some mighty giant Exoticas for
plants, but no real great one for trees. I love to look at pictures
of real big trees in natural settings.

Well, thanks for all your help with any of the above!
Hurry up Spring!
Sheri

Thumbnail by WigglyPaw
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Guy. I kind of figured that.

Hi Sheri,

The offer is still there. I'll see how things turn out. An exotic tree you ask for in so many words? I don't know. Pinus contorta 'Taylor's Sunburst' outta keep you real happy. Photos of Mature Trees (Book)... I'd search the internet or look for a book containing 'State Champion' Trees.

Dax

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Mike, Hi Soferdig,

Mike, I forgot to say that for the 'Ogon' I'll send you a better-rooted one come Fall.

Hi Soferdig and all else asking about trading and so forth...

I'm going to care for anything too young to send in Spring and get some good roots along with them before I ever send.

Thanks,

Dax

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

For growing Pinus ponderosa in Illinois, why is a Utah genotype better? Why wouldn't a Nebraska or South Dakota seed source trump?

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Leftwood,

I'm going to guess they are comperable to the Utah "Rocky Mountain" source(s).

Still, however I'm not a climate expert as it goes from state to state but it's even been said to me that "any" Pinus ponderosa when grown here could be subject to fungus. I have seen a rather large withches' broom cultivar at Bickelhaupt Arboretum (for what that's worth...I haven't photographed it yet so don't know it's name) but just again, generally speaking that is, these (Pinus ponderosa) aren't usually a healthy tree around here.

~Dax (Or so I've engrained that thought in my mind). Lake Michigan Gardens, well they'd have a much better chance of survival there, basically. Also, I do see even only blocks away a ponderosa reaching a nice mature height and looking well so I can say they are around just few and far and inbetween.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Sheri, you might visit our web site ( www.StarhillForest.com ) and click on the Monumental Trees link. Once you're there, click on "more" and it will take you to an external photo album of big trees. If you have a fast connection, start at the first one and just run through it like a slide show. There are captions on each one. If you're on dial-up, select the ones you want to see be clicking on the thumbnail pics on the index pages, and select "large" or "small" for viewing size.

Guy S.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.