Conifers from Seed - Have you started any?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Hi all,
My favorite gardening pastime is propagation. I start plants from seed and cuttings; I have not yet learned to graft (hopefully, soon!).

I try and grow a few conifers from seed every year, whether the species is hardy here or not. I can always give the seedlings to someone who can actually grow the plant in the ground, if the plants are not hardy here in zone 4a.

I purchased an ounce of Cedrus libani var. stenocoma seed this spring and I have the seeds sown and in the fridge. I always soak all of my seed in water prior to sowing the seed, so the seed can imbibe as much moisture as it wants prior to being sown.

When I put the Cedrus seed in the cup of water only two seeds sunk to the bottom of the cup. I was so bummed since the float test is one way to determine if the seed is viable or not (this does not work on ALL seeds, however). On the advice from our "local" conifer expert, Resin, I let the seed soak in the water for a couple of days, in the fridge, and then sowed all of the seed that sank to the bottom of the cup. I was surprised that almost half of the seed sunk to the bottom of the cup.

Yesterday, I couldn't stand it any longer, so I cut one of the seeds in half and to my surprise, there was a nice green "shoot" in the center of the seed, surrounded by a white material (cotyledon or food reserves - I don't know what to call it?). If I hadn't cut the seed in half, I think the seed would have germinated. I am not going to cut any more seeds in half!!! (:o)

So far, I have sown the following seeds:

Metasequoia glyptostroboides
Cedrus libani var. stenocoma
Pinus koraiensis
Sciadopitys verticillata
Pinus bungeana
Abies bornmulleriana
Abies lasiocarpa var arizonica
Pinus contorta var contorta
Abies procera glauca
Pinus sylvestris var mongolica
Syringa pekinensis (I know, it's not a conifer, but I bet I have 100% seed germination already).

The Pinus contorta var contorta is already starting to germinate as well. I didn't get the seed put into the fridge fast enough and I guess cold-stratification isn't necessary with this seed because it is germinating.

So, does anyone else have any conifers that they have started from seed? If so, what conifers have you started from seed? And is there anything special that you do to help ensure that you get good germination?
Thanks,
Mike

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I don't start many conifers from seed, but the ones I have tried all seemed to germinate very readily, epigeally, and without stratification. Trays full of them look like colonies of hydra in an aquarium, with their star-shaped cotyledons -- so different from broadleaf trees.

BTW, I'll be happy to serve as a repository for some of your zone 5 seedlings!
;-)

Guy S.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Hi Mike:

Volunteering from the Valley, accepting zones V and VI.

Never have tried conifer seed, though I seem to get copious crops from Abies nordmanniana, Picea omorika, and Picea orientalis annually. Have even had a couple of seedlings of Pinus strobus come up under a parent tree, and I would never have believed that possible here in central KY.

Maybe I'll send the next bunch to you...

Oops, forgot italics.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2006 12:02 AM

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Ok, there will be seedlings coming your way this spring, depending on what comes up.
Mike

Quoting:
Yesterday, I couldn't stand it any longer, so I cut one of the seeds in half and to my surprise, there was a nice green "shoot" in the center of the seed, surrounded by a white material
I have let my curiosity get the best of me before and I have done the same thing. Sort of a nice feeling to know that at least some of your seed is going to germinate when you take a peek at one. I always feel guilty when I trash one by giving in to my impatience though. Trying to exercise restraint can be difficult. I wish you lots of luck and many seedlings.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

What has me worried is that the seed that I cut in half may have been the only viable seed and now it won't germinate due to being cut in half!!! Ahhhhh...... (:o)
Mike

I know that feeling all too well. So far, all of my worries have been for nought. Everytime I have gone exploring and wasted one, other from the same batch germinated. Don't worry, you'll get nice new babies.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

And, I've gotten so much conflicting info on the C. libani var. stenocoma seed germination.

I've read that stenocoma is a frost-germinator and the seed needs cold conditions to germinate. Dirr says that libani has no pretreatment needs, but that two weeks of chill will help germination, but isn't necessary.

I have 3 pots of seeds so I think that I will take one out of the fridge after another couple of weeks and see if any of the seeds germinate.
Mike

Syracuse, NY

Do you know of C. libani var. stenocoma being grown successfully in your area?
I'd like to try it myself but I have been reluctant to devote the time and space to a plant of questionable hardiness here.
Are all of these on your list recently sown or are they plants grown in previous years?
I'd be interested in your progress with Sciadopitys verticillata. Its another that I haven't tried yet but hope to try sometime soon. I think that I have read that its challenging to grow from seed.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Not sure about TL3, but I also live in the same area, have known a few people who tried stenocoma but haven't been successful for more then about 5 years outside. Treelover3 might know someone though. Also, since stenocoma is a variety. There could be genetic variation, but I don't know what all is available in horticulture.

I have germinated Sciadopitys. Sprouted mid to late August. Not to promising a time frame here in 4a, and they didn't make it through the winter. Late season germination seems to be the norm with this species.

Rick

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

passarb,
All of the trees on the list were just sown this year. The only two that have germinated so far are the Pinus contorta var. contorta and the Syringa pekinensis (lots of them, I'll try and post a pic.)

There are a couple of Cedrus growing in the area but they are fairly recent additions.

No, C. l. var. stenocoma is not a long-lived tree in our area, but it sure is fun to experiment. I have a couple of grafted Cedrus libani 'Nana' in pots and since they will stay small, I am hoping to find a spot where they will have a chance to survive long-term (read: lots of snow cover).

Do you know what zone you're in, in Syracuse? Are you 4 or 5? If you're zone 5, you should be able to grow both the Cedrus and the Sciadopitys with very few problems. If I get a number of the Cedrus seed to germinate, I'll be more than happy to send you a couple to try. Let me know if you're interested?

Rick,
Thanks for the info on the Sciadopitys germination. Did you have the seed outside over the winter or did you have it in the fridge and then take the seed outside for germination? If I get any of the seeds to germinate, I think I will keep them in my cold basement for the first couple of winters to get some size to them.
Mike

The Sciadopitys seeds were stratified in the fridge first, then planted in a pot outside.

Syracuse gets a LOT more snow than we do too, don't they?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Here is the picture of the Syringa pekinensis seedlings (and my table-'gator (:o).

Mike

This message was edited Mar 4, 2006 2:25 PM

Thumbnail by treelover3
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

And here is a picture of the Pinus contorta var. contorta seedlings.

Mike

Thumbnail by treelover3
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

I have a feeling that the Pinus contorta var. contorta are not going to be hardy here in zone 4a? Can anyone confirm or deny that? I think that Pinus contorta var latifolia is the P. contorta that is hardy here? Correct?

Guy and VV, I will be sending you a few of the P. contorta, if you want them? Any interest in the S. pekinensis? Let me know... These are the only two seeds that have germinated so far. I will have others later this spring, if you're interested? LMK...
Thanks,
Mike

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Well, I did a Google search and found that P. c. var contorta is hardy to only zone 7.

Bummer.

Hmm... now what do I do with these seedlings???
Mike

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yeah, it's subsp. latifolia you want, for it to be hardy

Resin

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Mike I'd love a few (3) of your Syringa pekinensis... Great flaky bark on those! Take a look below and name your price!

I have seedlings of:
Platycladus orientalis - that one from my parents home. @ least a hundred.
Pinus resinosa - lots have germinated
Picea abies ' lots have germinated
Abies nordmanniana 'Ambrollauri' - Not many as the seed has germinated successfully but having dampening off problems.
Larix decidua a good 20 have popped.
So far (9) Metasequoia glyp have popped and just finished stratifying an additional (4) packets I bought so expecting a pretty big harvest.

Conifers I'm waiting on:
Pinus strobus - just sowed yesterday
Cedrus libani var stenocoma - like yours, mine haven't germinated but have been sown for some time already.
Abies numidica - no germ yet - but were sown 2 months or so ago.
*Ginkgo biloba - 51 in pots - just sown yesterday
Abies koreana 'Aurea' no germ. been waiting for several months
(3) Pinus parviflora cultivars still in the fridge:
'Bergman' (25 seeds) collected at Bickelhaupt Arboretum
'Hagoromo' (4 seeds) Bickelhaupt
'Glauca' (18 seeds) Bickelhaupt

Deciduous material:
Carpinus caroliniana - sown yesterday
Quercus robur Fastigiata - sown yesterday (19)
Nyssa sylvatica - sown months ago. No germ yet.
Fagus sylvatica - only (2) seedlings emerged thus far out of (15 or so)
(2) seedlings from Acer palmatum 'Seiryu' have popped - hopefully more to come.
Acer pseudosieboldianum - sown some time ago. No germ yet.
Acer palmatum - just checked on them (good timing!) the bag in fridge is loaded with seeds that have germed.
Liquidambar styraciflua - cold stratifying still

I suppose Lavender is considered a shrub as well..
I have (64) Lavendula angustifolia 'Czech' pinched/potted and branching well.
I have quite a few Lavendula angustifolia 'Hidcote' that have germinated that I'll be potting up in a week or two.

Plus all the cuttings - I'm getting the greenhouse and basement going fairly strongly at this point.

Cuttings of Hibiscus syriacus 'Helene' now pushing growth (I must have 50 of them)
I stuck 21 Hibiscus syriacus 'Bluebird' today.
Thuja's 'Rosenthalii', 'Emerald Variegated', 'Yellow Ribbon'
Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Vintage Gold' (2 look good out of 20)
Metasequoia's (species and 'Ogon' / 'Gold Rush')
Platycladus 'Collen's Gold'
Cuttings from that Golden Platycladus at my parents home (doing so so)

Dax

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

ViburnumValley and Starhill,

You're both welcome to the lot as well!

Dax

Didn't we already discuss somewhere how INCREDIBLY EASY syringa is to germinate? You must have missed that, Mike!

Nice ch-ch-ch-chia though.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Same for others seeking as well..

Dax

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks very much for the offers, Mike and Dax, but upon further consideration, I'm about to burst at the seams here already. And I probably couldn't keep P. contorta going here in zone 5, with resultant guilt trip for killing your babies! Maybe Viburnum would have better luck with them down there in the banana belt. We do have P. c. latifolia here, doing well except for needle fungi that hit it hard in wet years. (Hey -- what's a wet year? I forget!)

I saw some magnificent Cedrus libani v. stenocoma in Turkey a few years ago, and would love to be able to grow that here. Thus far I've tried one and killed it after a few years. I think maybe it didn't like our humidity.

Guy S.

You are kidding right? If you have extras, I'd love to buy one of each one of these-
Metasequoia glyptostroboides
Metasequoia's (species and 'Ogon' / 'Gold Rush')
Ginkgo biloba

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Equilibrium,

Email - Dmail me at the onset of Fall. They'll be fully rooted and safe to send then. No charge...

I need to set some of my trade list settings a bit differently I think.

See ya,

Dax

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Hi Dax,
No problem, but you can have more than 3! I don't know what I'm going to do with all of the Syringa seedlings? I'll stick them in the box with the Metasequoia.
Thanks,
Mike

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Fantastic, thank you. Want any seedlings I have/cuttings? I transplanted (100) from that Platycladus at my folks house today. I'll throw anything else you might want in when I send you off something for that Metasequoia.

Here's some pics from what I have going on at the moment:

Dax

The Grafts have been callousing for a long time (two months) bumped the temps up to 60+ this past week or better and the cuttings are coming alive as are some of the grafts. I had some extremely poor understock being rootbound in 4" "Rose Pots" to start with unfortunately. So if my grafts don't make it, I'll bet the understock dies first from either drowning or from having been so rootbound. Anyway, here goes some photos from this morning.

Some of the Conifer Grafts

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Photo:

Metasequoia's 'Ogon' / 'Gold Rush'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Species Metasequoia and Cuttings from My Parents 50-60 year-old "Golden" Platycladus orientalis.

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I transplanted that (100) seedlings of Platycladus I talked about and here's what I still have left (at least another 75).

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers

Very nice starts.

What do all of you people think of this book-
The Grafter’s Handbook by R. J. Garner

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

The Acer Palmatum Seedlings are officially ready to be grafted and I'm going to do that in a few moments. At least 1/3 have broken bud so they're all (all 25) ready to go.

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Wow, very nice!

I took three cuttings from my very small (less than 24 inches) 'Ogon' and all three cuttings died. I don't know why? I took more cuttings from my species Metasequoia and some have rooted already.

I have a small grafted 'Ogon', but I would be interested in getting an 'Ogon' on its own roots, if you have one to spare?
Thanks,
Mike

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

You bet Mike, I'll write that on my note taped here to the computer.

Equilibrium, get Fincham's Grafting Video and watch it over and over and read my notes on that other thread I started a few days ago. You won't need anything else except references as for which understocks/rootstocks will do best in your climate and which are compatible with your scions. That kind of information you'll need to seed from Resin.

Moving on...

Another Photo: This one of the brave survivors of Thuja occidentalis 'Emerald Variegated' cuttings stuck as you'll see on the tag, in December. Actually on my birthday I believe.

Thuja occidentalis 'Emerald Variegated'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

(My stock plant of 'Emerald Variegated' was pretty shabby!)

A photo of the very well doing Thuja occidentalis 'Rosenthalii' and what you can see of those 'declining' Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Vintage Gold'. You'll notice in the very back a couple 'Vintage Gold' are very healthy.

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I always grow Lavender for some reason. These in the basement are Lavandula angustifolia 'Czech' seedlings. 'Czech' is a very hardy strain for cold climates and becomes a very large 3x3 or 4x4 foot plant all the way around.

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers

Where are you buying your little black pots from? I still need about 600 of those.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

('Czech' also flowers it's first year from seed)

I think that's enough photos, I took several more but it's beginning to feel a little monotonous on my end so better stop.

Thanks Mike!

Dax

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Equil,

People give them to me. My Mom asks her friends to save their pots, etc. For most everything anymore I use clear plastic cups being 9oz. and I've ordered a lot of "Anderson Tree Bands" from OBC Northwest. 2 7/8" x 5.5" deep. Those I'll use for potting up bareroot understock seedlings in Spring and also for sowing large seeds such as Ginkgo, Quercus, Fagus, etc.

Dax

I used a plastic cups yesterday for example because I ran out of Anderson Tree Bands to plant my seeds of Ginkgo and for cuttings I took of Hibiscus syriacus 'Bluebird'

I also have tall nursery flats with holes in the bottom that are pretty ridid and they perfectly hold 20 of these clear cups. (I line them with newpaper then add my pots)

Here's a photo just for the fun/sake of showing:

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's a partial view of these rectangular in shape Anderson Tree Bands:

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Equil,

Here's what these Anderson Pots look like. The Anderson is the Tall one second from the left (3) photos.

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.