Round Up/ Plant Swap - bad news....

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Wah!!!

Well, we got bumped on our reservation for Indian School Park. I'm so bummed I could cry, but would rather look for options. We could still do it there, but we would basically have to arrive at 6am and get one of the open spots that they don't keep reservations for- and it's not as nice as the one we had last fall. I also called about Lorene's suggestion, Granada Park, but they don't do any reservations and I was warned about companies trying to do their yearly picnic before it gets too hot kinda clogging everything up right now. Indian School has *no* openings until summer, can you believe it? So we couldn't even change the date to get in there (but if we want to do another fall one there, we better figure it out soon!).

So, back to the drawing board. The only other option *I* can think of (and this does not preclude any other ideas) is my home. I live at 23rd Ave and Northern, one block east of I-17, which makes me almost central, probably a bit west. My gardens are not fantastic, like previous homes we have visited and I have no ponds, but.... I do live on a half acre, I have 2 small and one large shade structures, a number of tables and a motley collection of lawn chairs (although we might need more). I love having company but have never hosted a larger get-together like this one, so you'd have to be easy on me!

I think it would be good if we had other suggestions, too - I'm not into making command decisions (unless it looks like we can't make one at all, and then I will!). In order to show what looks good for the most people, please (PLEASE) respond even if it is only to agree with someone else - so often the decisions are made by a small group guessing what's best for all.

My apologies; I feel really bad about this and hope we can find a good option together.

Sheryl

Phoenix, AZ

Oh! Bummer :( What is parking like @ Your place?

Much like yours, one long stretch of road!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sheryl Your place sounds good. I would offer my place but it is not convenient for anyone. I am out by PIR. I am used to large gatherings as my kids birthday parties and holidays usually involve anywhere from 30-50 people. I am more than willing to help in anyway I can. Just let me know. Is Encanto Park an option?

There's still the North Mountain Visitor's Center. Nice ramadas. Backdrop of desert mountain. 7th Street, south of Thunderbird.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

PC's place is great with me. Of course everyone would help out!

Phoenix, AZ

What about seeing if we could get a room at Desert Botanical Garden? PC's place is great but having it at somewhere other than a person's home would make it a carefree event for all. sam

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

How about McCormick Railroad Park???

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I vote for mccormick railroad park too!!
usha

Crossville, TN

How about having it on a Saturday? *ducking and running* Jo

Phoenix, AZ

Tell us about McCormick railroad park? What's it like - does it have shade - do we need a reservation etc.

Scottsdale, AZ

I can host, if needed. Covered patio with lots of seats - or sit in the sun. BBQs if we want to grill any food. The pool might even be warm enough for a diving contest :) My garden isn't anywhere great as some of the one's cultivated by regulars, but that's fine... it was beyond blah when I bought the place and is coming along slowly. We'll call it... transitional.

I'm happy to go anywhere, but honestly have no problem with having people over. It's 2 minutes from the Desert Botanical Gardens for anyone wanting to kill two birds with one stone. Bakers is about 10 minutes away, so you could even kill three birds. If you want to kill 4 birds, that's even possible as the Arizona Beer Festival is that day and just 4 miles away at Tempe Town lake. For that pace of hunting you'd need to invite the Vice President. I kid.

Just offering an option should we not want to deal with park regulations, etc. My only rule is to have fun.

Mesa, AZ

hhmmmm so many ideas! I am tempted by Jon's offer, but then Sheryl's is also generous..... The biggest reason I lean towards Jon's is how close he is to Baker Nursery.... LOL! Well, it is true, if people come up from Tucson or the outer reaches of this metropolis, a visit to Baker is a must....AND that weekend is the Desert Botanical Plant Sale, so we would also be close to another place that will suck money from ... eerrrrr offer wonderful opportunities to purchase lovely plants!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Susie, you make very good points there.

Jonny- you sure you have the room? That would be the people, tables, plants, food...

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok I vote for Jon's. I want to kill 3 birds at one time!!!!

Phoenix, AZ

Hmmmm...Jons house located near retail plant therapy...hmmmmmmm

This message was edited Feb 22, 2006 9:47 AM

It sounds good to me - why don't we wait until at least one or two days to make a decision - there's a number of folks who probably haven't checked in yet. I'll also call on McCormick park, just so we have the information.

Jonny, just to let you know what you could be in for before you decide to do this - last time we filled approx. 7 picnic-sized tables with plants, had at least 4 children and 30 -40 adults. I have no idea what kind of turn out we're looking at this time, but it's being put out over both DG & GW, so.... we do have a good number of lurkers who grace us with their presence, too! And that's not to say that you can't do some ground rules, but I don't want to overrun your place or your generosity.

Shall we say a decision should be made by Friday night? Does that give everyone enough time? I'll throw out an e-mail to a few folks who might not be here daily so we can get as much input as possible. If there's someone you're in touch with, please do the same.

Sheryl
>who only has a Big Lots with those 3 dollar metal clippers and 79 dollar pergolas near her.... waaaah!!!! <

This message was edited Feb 22, 2006 9:47 AM

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sounds great to me-

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

What about Papago park? If there are too many people for Jon's house it is still in a great location and close enough so we can all get our plant fixes!

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I would so love to join you all but on the weekends when my passion for gardening doesn't have me around the throat, my passion for golf does. I think its extremely generous of Sheryl and Jon to offer their homes for the swap and frankly this time of year it might be your only option. By deciding between the two, your decision is made and there are no last minute surprises. I know by experience that reserving a ramada is next to impossible in March and even that doesn't necessarly mean you'll get it.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

I will travel for plants, well within reason. I'll go with the majority.

Blessings,
Awanda

Scottsdale, AZ

I can handle plenty of people - though folks might want to bring some extra chairs. I would be table deficient, but if we could find some folks who can bring some - we'd be fine. I have a covered patio + big tent if needed. Here's a pool party pic from last summer...

Thumbnail by sirjonny
Tucson, AZ

did someone say baker nursery! LOL is the event still sunday morning? i'll be in the valley that weekend so either day will work for me. now, where too meet. sheryl, i really dig your place and big lots is nice, but jonny raised the stakes when he mentioned baker nursery. haha! 1st vote - jonny. 2nd vote - sheryl. kimaz makes a good point about not risking getting bumped again.

detrick

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Dang! Best laid plans gone south. Oh well, we can adjust. I'm game for where ever, if' it's Jon's place I have one folding banquet table to contribute. And some of those new fangled portable camping/concert/soccer-game chairs. Just tell me where to go, I'll be there.

Cheers~
Mary

Crossville, TN

For those of us that plan to come from Way Down Here....we are early to bed and early to rise...so I think in order for us to get home at a decent time we should start a little early...say 11 AM...What say you? Jo

Phoenix, AZ

Hi Fun Lovers, Party Animals!
Par-ty, Par-ty, Par-ty!!!!!
Thanks, Sheryl, for the Heads-up!
I'd love to be there, pretty sure I can make it. I'll be in Sacramento that entire week (training for work), my house is on the market (Phx). Factoring out upsets, count me in for the SWAP! My Standard Poodle just today decided to re design one of the sedum plants I had in a pot. Found them laying around the patio. Will try to establish some to bring. Since my life is "still'" in transition I may not have much time to contribute anything other than FOOD from AJ's.
Party-on
-Susie

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Okay, everybody- PARTY AT SIRJONNY'S!!!!!
Jon & Sheryl- you guys are the best. I should be able to bring a table, DH says I have more than I need. And some chairs too.

Mesa, AZ

I also have table and chairs to bring.

Now- we need to organize who is bringing what to eat, so we don't have 4 pots of beans and 5 potato salads, etc.

Perhaps a new thread for that and someone to manage it?

Susie

LOL - you know what happens when you bring up an idea, Susie.....

>snarky grin <

Fabulous, sounds like we have a plan, thanks loads Jonny!

I'm off to TN for a few days, see ya'll when I get back..

This message was edited Feb 23, 2006 11:19 AM

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

thanks jonny for offering your place! i was not able to attend the last plant swap and it looked like i missed a lot of fun. it will be good to put a face to all these names. i'm looking forward to it.

Phoenix, AZ

It all sounds good to me! I would love to see both places, but it sounds like the majority swings towards Jonny's this time. Thanks so much to both for offering so generously.
I have a table and a few chairs I can bring as well if need Just let me know!

Trudi

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I didn't see anyone disagree with the 11:00 suggestion (and how could they, with such a good arguement :-)

So 11:00 at Jonny's then! Was it Susie that volunteered to start a supplies and food thread? :-)

Phoenix, AZ

I wasn't able to post this as a new topic so am adding it here. For newcomers or those worrying that they don't have anything to trade, here are some suggestions from the Fall Swap. Actually it isn't necessary to bring anything at all except a smile.

Potted plants, cuttings, rooted cuttings,bulbs,rhizomes, seeds, garden books, crafts, gourds, garden art, rocks or driftwood for the garden, hand milled soaps, herbal items, etc.

Anything to grow or that can be used in the garden, or is related to items you grow. I have a friend who is bringing broken pottery from their pottery business to trade for plants.

You can sow seeds now and bring your seedlings, start cuttings to root now, or right before the swap dig up divisions of plants to bring. I collect plastic pots year round and plant divisions in them early spring so they can get rooted. I also have been known to bring cuttings, just stuck in a mason jar full of water.

You will want to bring items such as papertowels to wrap cuttings in, a marker to mark your items, some name tape or something to mark what you're giving away (or have name tags stuck in each pot).

Bring boxes to put your plants in to take home, paper bags, baggies, anything you can think of to make the transporting of your new babies easier on you and them.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi everyone,

It is so true tha gardeners make for the most generous people.
You, guys prooved it again.
I love both offers but like so many before me Baker's weights to much and
mabe the beer festival too.(Ha....)
I just want to make sure I got it right. The swap will be March the 19th
at 11.00Am at sir Jon.
I do not have table or chairs to bring but I can bring food and drinks.
Please let me know when we need to decide the "MENU".
I can hardly wait.
See you all.....

Good Gardening

Rodica

Phoenix, AZ

I haven't been able to start a new thread with the sign up for food etc. for the swap. If someone could start a thread titled Spring Swap - what are you bringing? or something similar I would appreciate it.

This is the message I wanted to post:

"As Susie suggested, this thread will be limited only to items that are needed and that will be brought. It is our sign up sheet. Other info re time, date, directions etc. will be posted elsewhere.

Please give us an idea what you will be bringing including tables, chairs, plants, seedlings, brownies, salsa, coffee, whatever.... (especially if you are bringing whatevers) It will be helpful to have an idea what is coming so we will know if we are short of space, chairs or food and it will inspire other people.

I will maintain a checklist so we can see if we are critcially short of anything (such as not enough brownies or not enough Margaritas). Thanks, sam"

Crossville, TN

Sam...why can't you start a post? BTW....I like the way you think FOOD....browines and Margarits...yummy....

Thanks for changing to 11:00 AM....I'm not sure who the 4th person will be but will probably find someone to fill the car.

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Jo

Phoenix, AZ

It will let me post a followup but I can't seem to start a new thread. Could someone please start it for me? thanks, sam

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I tried Sam but mine did not go through either.

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks Marie, that makes me feel better. I must have tried 25 times since last night. I did email Dave's Garden so they know we have a problem.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.