My daylily seedlings

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

don't know if ya'll are interested, or if I need to keep this just on the daylily forum, but these are some of my daylily seedlings. By the way, my DH says he is gonna sray them with Roundup cause we need the room !

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

here is a pink one - wish I had marked it so I knew where it was in my garden !

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

here is a spider varient

Thumbnail by corgimom
Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Wow! They are fantastic! I love the pinkest one.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

me,too, and for the life of me I can't remember where it even is in my beds !!! the deer have tromped through and knocked over almost all of my tags :( . I had crosses written on them, and what colors they were. Guess that shows what a great hybridizer I would make !!! I have never been a good organizer. Sure hope I can find that pink one before Roundup hits all those beds !!!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Noooooooo! No Roundup for those beauties!!

I got some crossed daylily seeds from poppysue last year and had such fun growing them out... I am hoping all make it through the winter and that some may bloom this year! At first I was going to keep track of their parentage, but I didn't think there was any way I'd end up keeping the labels straight from seed to bloom, so I just mixed them up from the beginning and didn't worry about it! I have a few named ones in that bed, and they do have labels... the rest are poppysue's babies!

I wish I lived closer... I would drive right over with my shovel before your DH started in with the spraying... please, tell us he decided to spare them! :-)

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Great looking seedlings
WOW

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Critter, is he going to do all 2000 of them or just a small area?

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

sorry, Roundup man belongs to 'corgi', not to 'critter' ! No - just my seedlings(although he has accidentally sprayed it on and killed two different ones that I paid $100 for - gotta love that man to let him keep breathing !)

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I'm sorry I got the two of you mixed up. Well, I hope you can find homes for your DLs before the dreaded event.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

It is just that the weeds are taking over and he feels we have so many to tackle as it is that they,being unnamed ones, aren't worth the trouble. (that is cause HE didn't work for hours in the hot sun day after day making crosses, checking seed pods, keeping notes in little notebooks, collecting seed, etc.) HA

Now that he has to do so much of the weeding for me I can't complain too much. He really is a nice guy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wow ~ I looooove that 3rd one!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ok, well, i realyze that most hybridizers need to cull the herd once in a while, but the point of culling is to only take out those that you consider substandard. Keep the ones that you like and think are worthy of introduction. Then show your husband how much a new introduction can bring and I'll bet (if he's like my hubby) he'll tear up the rest of the yard and help you hybridize all the more. :)

Diann

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Moby, me too ! It just didn't have a high bud count, but you could see it shining across the yard. I am a sucker for big green throats!(on daylilies that is)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL I'm also becoming quite fond of glowing orange throats.

Here's a nice green-throated Respighi for you ~

Thumbnail by Moby
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Your two seedlings are certainly lovely. Perhaps another year will bring a better bud count?

Round up is dangerous in some hands, that's for sure. That must be the reason DH stays out of the garden!

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

my hubby is a biological engineer but with our weed invasion he has no choice but to take drastic measures at times. neither of us like it, but we could never do all that hoeing ( and yes, we do have our beds and pathways mulched, but it doesn't seem to matter). I don't know if it has come to us via the mulch or some of the compost we buy, or both, but it has gotten out of hand. :(

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I went to a "Pollen Dauber's " meeting last year and a Floriday hybridizer talked. He gets a generation a year and only saves 6-12 out of a field of 2000. He digs those out to watch & spryas Round Up as well as covers with black plastic to kill his rejects. He's looking for certain characteritcs & destroys the rest. the thought made my heart weep. All those beautiful babies....

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I know - and THEIR babies are MUCH more exciting than mine !! Wouldn't we love to get their "rejects" ?????

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

You can ride through jack carpenters seedling in golf cart and pick out what you want and buy By clump ,
Only lots of times he chaged his mind and gave it another year LOL

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Taz--sounds like the voice of experience?

I can see why he would give them a second year. It's the second and sometimes even third year before some of my daylilies kick into their potential. Especially the evergreens--some take longer to "settle in" .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.