Help me pick a tree....

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Ask for a volume discount. I'm not sure if it's the best "hedge". Euonymus jap. 'Greenspire' is another one that isn't as narrow but close. It might even be cheaper.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Terry, thank-you, I had seen it available on DG, but I hesitate to buy shrubs or trees online, I like to pick them in person for form...may have to buckle down and buy them locally then for the price they want.

I expect they wouldn't make a great hedge, Growin, since they are pricey. But I think about 4 should do it.

Does anyone know of a tall (non pine tree) but looks similar, fast growing that is suggested in catalogs for use as a "screen." It was in the latest Wayside catalog but alas, I don't know where it is anymore. TIA.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2006 4:32 PM

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Could you be talking about Arborvitae or Leyland cypress? If you want a good evergreen screen that would do well in San Antonio heat I would suggest getting some Wax Myrtle. I planted 5 of them in a row last year for some privacy. They are very drought tolerant also.

Escam...no I am thinking the name started with an "H" but could be wrong. Definately wasn't a Leyland. Arborvitea doesn't sound right....and someone on DG mentioned the other day too. If I ever find it again I'll have to write that down.

Think I found it online again: Thuja Green Giant!

Does anyone know what the average lifespan and width is on the thuja green giant????

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/80097/

Denham Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

Another source for trees and information is www.arborday.org

Carol

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

How about a magnolia grandiflora......not wide, but tall about 60-80 ft full grown.........

Does anyone know what the average lifespan and width is on the thuja green giant????

Thuja Growing Zones : 5-9
Mature Height: 20 ft. in row
40 ft + alone
Mature Width: 5 ft. in row
10-15 ft. alone
Sunlight: Full or Partial
Soil Conditions: Adaptable
Drought Tolerance: Good
The neighbor up the road has a stand of these beauties he uses as a windbreaks. Deep, deep emerald green color, very striking trees. They appear to have a lifespan of 30 years +. They make the regular pines and conifers next to them look sick.
We're thinking seriously about planting some as a living fence on one side of our property. We live on a corner and I'd like to see if we can not only increase our privacy, but set up a noise and dust barrier. I love the color, I think their over grown shamrocks myself.

thank-you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You is welcome, if they start singing sad Irish ballads, just give em a beer..........grin

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Magnolia grandiflora is definitely not your tree if you don't like litter! Red maple will get into your sewer pipe if it is anywhere near; I would avoid it! Cherries will have disease problems and require spraying if they are fruiting. Crepe myrtle are beautiful trees that don't require a lot of attention, at least in my area. I love the fall color on this cultivar:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/38145/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.