Travelers palm

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Hello Palm experts ?

I have a couple of Huge Travelers Palms about 30 Feet or higher with lots of shoots( about 2-5 feet)around the base. is it possible to remove these safely to replant somewhere else and how would I go about it.. got My licuala mapu recently and since doing research on line for its care I now have a new appreciation for palms. I think like a lot of people in Florida we just take them for granted. unfortunately we see the same ones repeated all over so they tend not to grab the eye. Im hoping to change that in my new garden. i just got another Baby Triangle palm today.They are much more interesting when they are smaller at eye level. I think I have another plant addiction to add to my Vireyas.

Neil
key West
Zone 11b

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Traveler's Palms are related to Bananas and Birds of Paradise, not palms... I think you can separate them, but not sure. Probably should post this on the tropicals page instead. There are pretty marginal here in inland Southern California and I haven't had much success with these plants.

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Thanks Bob , Ive moved the thread to here

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/577219/

are there other variegated palms available out there.

Neil

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Variegation can happen in just about any palm. Look in the plantfiles under Howea forsteriana, Licuala grandis, Licuala obicularis, Chamaedorea seifrizii, Chamaedorea stolonifera and Caryota mitis... those all have variegated forms. However, those variegations are abnormal. Licuala 'Mapu' is 'normally' variegated. The only other 'normally' variegated palm I know of is another Licuala, L radula. And that is a great palm as it is pretty hardy compared to Mapu, and is even growing outdoors here in California in several gardens (costly palm, but probably no more so than yours).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.