Anyone try this one?

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

There's been alot of discussion on MGs in our area but has anyone tried Black-Eyed Susan Vine? I planted three seeds two years ago as an experiment and it's still going strong. Because I didn't really expect much from it it had nothing to climb. It did find a nearby staked tomato plant, swallowed it up and has formed a 4x4 clump. It just continues to grow on top of its old vines and just keeps getting taller. I bought the seeds online but I've noticed they're now being sold locally.

Thumbnail by kimaz
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I just started one last fall and love it so far. What kind of exposure and reflected heat is yours exposed to Kim?

Phoenix, AZ

That is gorgeous! Where did you see the seeds?

Phoenix, AZ

I just went and bid on some ;)

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

That vine believe it or not is about 8 inches away from a south facing wall. It recieved direct sun all summer long until about 3 PM. It has never stopped blooming. I need to take a more recent picture. I took shears to it a few weeks ago to try to shape it. For awhile after it looked pretty sad because obviously I cut into alot of viable tendrels but now its filling in and actually looks like a bush. FN, I've seen the seeds at Lowes and A&P on Baseline and Price.

Pueblo West, CO

I have the Spanish eyes variety. Started it from seed.It is just starting to climb.

Phoenix, AZ

I just got 60 seeds on e-bay for 1.27. let me know if you would like some seeds?

Lake Havasu City, AZ(Zone 10a)

I planted one last year for the first time. It grew fast and flowered freely until it got really hot. Then it really slowed down and a lot of it fried. It is in a spot where it gets the afternoon sun in the hottest part of the day though. It is coming back now and is flowering nicely again. I'm going to try some in a different spot. It is easy to start in water from cuttings.

Crossville, TN

ME! ME! ME....Fish-knees...what would you like in trade...can you save me some for the Swap next month?? Jo

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/248/index.html
This is supposed to be invasive. I've looked and hunted for seeds and have never found any. I bought the "white" black-eyed susan seeds online and could never get any of them to germinate. I see it as a fun vine but not invasive here.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh..I saw those white ones, almost bought them (might still :-) Thanks, Kim for the info where yours is growing, afternoon shade is a common theme, huh?

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Judy B has had good luck with these .... they have another name, like clock vine or something because they only twist around their trellises clock-wise.

I love the color of the Spanish eyes ones - I've been very tempted to purchase the seeds for them, very pretty. They have them in the Thompson & Morgan catalog, I believe.....

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Pagancat, I'd love to learn more about clockvine and what exactly it is. Of all the annual vines (perrennial here) that I grow, they all want to go counterclockwise. You don't have a prayer of training a MG clockwise.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I've not grown the Blackeyed Susan vine but have grown Thunbergia greggii, which is bright orange and grows like crazy. PC is right, it's called clock vine. Here's a pic.

Thumbnail by judyb
Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh wait, if were talking about Black-Eyed Susan vine, I have no clue if it grows clockwise or counterclock wise. It just gets to the point where its no longer a vine and grows on top of its self and resembles a bush.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Clockwise, I didn't know that, neat!

PC If you wanted spanish eyes, the seeds are at a lot of local nurseries, otherwise you can scoop up a seedling or two I should have at the swap (assuming they do well between now and then)

Lynn

Phoenix, AZ

Roadrunner, I'll set some seeds aside for ya!

Crossville, TN

FK...that is so nice of you! Jo

Phoenix, AZ

Sheplers iris farm in west central phoenix had them growing in the ground against their home with eastern exposure. I admire them greatly whenever I'm in southern california.

My question is just how easy is it to get the vine started? Should it be in a container pot or can it go right into the ground that has decent soil?

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

In the ground.............Thats my only experince with it.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh Judy, I'm such a ditz. Ooops! Thanks for the, uh, clarification! They're great flowers, whatever you call them!!!!

>pagancat, madly blushing for the third time in her life......>

Pueblo West, CO

My Spanish Eyes had it's first bloom today.

Thumbnail by SUNNYAZ
Phoenix, AZ

My seedlings are about 4 inches tall with their 1st set of true leaves, have a few seeds left if anyone would like some :)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Fishie , will you germinate those seeds for me??? I had Zero, count 'em, ZERO germination of my Black Eyed Susan vine. I have another packet of seeds but I'm waiting to see if I can figure what I did wrong in getting mine to germinate. Lots of other stuff popped up very nicely (Ots MG, Cypress Vine, Pres Tyler MG and those great Love Lies Bleeding, which are TINY) I'll have a few of all the above to swap.

Phoenix, AZ

Sure! I'll start some :)

Lake Havasu City, AZ(Zone 10a)

I have rooted cuttings of Black-Eyed Susan vine very easily simply by placing them in a glass of water. They seem to root very easily.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.