What color and texture combinations do you want this year?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I notice as time goes by my tastes change a bit, and plants, colors, and textures I'd never been interested in, catch my eye and my gardener's heart. I'm now finding myself being much more "daring" with color combinations, and wanting to experiment with unusual contrasts. So being an avid plant collector as well having a great love of design, I'm contstantly obsessed with my color combinations and how to get them "right"(well, the version of right in my mind, lol).

This year I'm most excited about a large island bed I'm devoting to bright, 55mph colors. This is where most of my tropicals (mostly cannas and caladiums) go. I became somewhat obsessed with orange, hot pink, and purple together last year, and am going bezurk with those in that garden. I've also been envisioning Bells of Ireland emerging from behind 'Red Flash' caladiums. I've never grown Bells of Ireland before, so it will be purely experimental, but the curious contrast of green skyward facing flowers and red, down facing leaves really tickles my fancy!

I'm also planning another area with lots of large white callas and green colocosia behind them. The plan is to fill in around the callas ankles with caladiums in reds and whites.

So what about all of you? What colors and shapes are dancing in your imaginations during these cold winter months while scanning all the catalogs?

Neal.

This thread has 77 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!