questions about English Precision Seeder from a newbie

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask these questions but couldn't find anywhere else that seemed logical. I am a very novice gardner and am trying to start my flowers from seed this year. Some of the seeds are so small it's really difficult to handle them. I've seen a device on Gardner's Supply for $24.95 and it's called the English Precision Seeder. Is anyone familiar with this device and is it worth the price? I'd be willing to invest in it if you think it's worth it. If not, how the dickens do you manage to plant lobelia seeds for example? Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Betty

Eleva, WI(Zone 4a)

I'd love to hear a response on this also. I have a cheap seeder from walmart that does not work well.

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

for small seeds I use a toothpick, (or popsicle stick, or my finger.....) dampen the end (dip into water) then touch the damp end on to the seed. it'll pick up those tiny seeds, then rub off onto the soil. yes, it's tedious, but it does work..... be careful not to drop the seed off, if there's enough 'damp' the seed will hold..

have fun!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Forgive me if I point out the obvious, but what is wrong with a small envelope or piece of paper folded with a crease to hold the seed and VERY gently tapping out the seed over the starting medium?
I've used this method for the smallest seed successfully.
Andy P

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I have an English precision seeder. It is actually pretty handy. I think it is easier to use than a toothpick, because you don't need to have a little dish of water around (I always end up knocking over things like that). It is better than an envelope, because you can actually pick up just one or two very small seeds with it. When I use an envelope, I think I am putting only a few seeds on each spot, but then they come up and it's like 100. With the seeder, it actually is only a couple.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.