Paper towel for seed starting

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

As a newbie I am in the process of reading through a lot of older posts,but I get a headache with all that zapping back and forth!! I ran across a post where someone mentioned a method used by notmartha for seed sprouting where you used paper towels. It had a hyperlink attatched to it, but when I tried it I got nothing. Can someone please tell me what the ole paper towel method is? Thanks for any suggestions.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I don't remember the thread but today I started some tomato seeds in paper towels today. I just wet the towels, added the seeds, folded over and put in a zip lock bag, unzipped so they have some air.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

this had something to do with using hydrogen peroxide, I think ! They were talking about using jars, then someone said to 'check this out' about the paper towels, but I couldn't get the link to connect. Just wondered what they did with them and for how long. Did they soak them in Hydrogen peroxide ,add seed, seal in baggies?????

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I am not sure if someone used both methods or if two methods got run together. :)

Very often a mix of 1 part peroxide and 9 parts water is mixed and used to soak hard to sprout seeds and often daylilies. This can be done with the seeds simply in a container with the mix or in a zip lock baggie or whatever.

Another method is like Darius described above. You simply fold over a piece of papertowel with seeds inside and dampen it, put them in a plastic bag and leave them until they sprout. You do have to check from time to time and get the seeds out once you can see the nub on the seed or a small root.

I am sure you can use the peroxide mix IN the baggie method. Either way, you want to get the seeds out once they sprout. The peroxide can burn the roots and small plants.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Thanks ! I think I have a migraine from reading so many threads. I have not been a computer person in the past, but this forum thing has caused sores on my backside from sitting here so long reading up on everyone's great ideas. Now if only I could remember what I had read !!!!!!!!

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

This message was edited May 28, 2010 4:53 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.