Looking for a pole bean for HOT climates, Have any ideas?

Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

I'm trying to find a good pole bean, either snap or dry, that would produce a tasty bean and provide a nice barrier from the hot sun. I live on the Eastside of Washington State, just moved from the Westside where the weather is very different. Westside-cool and moist, Eastside-hot and dry. Like 100+ degrees often times for a month or longer. We get an average rainfall of 6 inches py. Bush beans seem to do better over here, last year I planted pole snap beans and they got very woody very fast. I think that was because of the heat, but even in the fall when it cooled down they still became woody before they even got longer then 3 inches. I planted blue lakes. So I'm looking for a pole variety that might do well in this dry heat. Wondering if any you would have some suggestions. I want to plant them in front of our back porch to help keep the eastside of our home a bit cooler. It would be nice to get a crop of bean this year. I would prefere snap beans but would be open to trying pole dry ones as well if no snap ones would fit the bill.

Thanks for any help you could give me.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Actually those of us in the considered your climate a "cool" one. A s far as pole beans go, many of the cultivars get "Shucky" very fast. You might try a different cultivar. Kentucky Wonder holds on to the bean stage pretty well, as do a few others. Some become like cardboard at the beginning of bean formation. The secret to all pole beans used for snaps is to pick them early and often.

Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

Farmerdill,
I believe it when you say... "consider your climate a "cool" one". When I went to visit my sister in N.C. I thought it was unbearable. We have no such humidity. The Westside of the state has allot more humitity but then it very rarely get's that hot. Guess that's one reason we Washintonians don't mind all the teasing about the rain on the westside. It is considered one of the worlds best places for growing flowers.

Kentucky Wonder ah!! Any particular one, looks like there are several pole Kentucky Wonders.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Brown seeded http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/39606/index.html http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/39380/index.html Basicly the same plant.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Fortex is my favorite pole and Festina is my favorite bush; and it gets pretty warm down here!
:)
Debbie

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

sagewoodfarm... down in OK where it GETS HOT & STAYS hot for extended periods, some folks I know grow Rattlesnake beans.
Farmerdill has a LOT more experience with beans so maybe he'll comment on the Rattlesnake variety. I never grew it m'self...
LD

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Those of us who have seen snow, ON TV, ;) figure that what survives hot weather here might freeze way up in 6b land. But if you are looking for hot and dry survival, then visit www.nativeseeds.org
They have a huge range of southwestern beans that might do for you. All my dealings with them have been fabulous. While you are at it, go ahead and try planting the three sisters (corn, beans, squash) in the same hole. For me, it works wonderfully. It's OK for you to complain about the heat, we complain about the cold here, especially when it gets down to 20 degrees, like it does three or four times a year.

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

sagewoodfarm, I can't say for sure if these are for HOT climates, but I have extra seeds of the following:
Pole Beans - Earth Gems
Pole Beans - Kentucky Blue
LMK if you'd like to try them. I'd be glad to send you some....Kathy

Rattlesnake does good for me here too...I just like the flavor of Fortex better.

but ya know how "subjective" taste is....lol
Deb

Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

Thanks kathyvm, I normally would say yes, but I've gotten carried away buying beans and have more then I can probably use now. I guess we will just have to plow up more lawn.

I really do appreciate the offer though, thanks.

Lora from Sagewood Farm

hey--I'm all for plowing up more "turf grass"! I think the planet's got far too much turf grass and far too few vegetables and flowers myself!

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I'm told that the Asian "yard long" beans adapt very well to hot dry climates, specifically here in Tucson where it's really hot & dry. i READ IT IN A BOOK BY A RETIRED PROFESSOR oops- caps lock, stupid laptop, sorry- at the University of Arizona ag school here. Another hot-summer veggie substitute is malabar spinach- although I didn't care much for it personally it did grow well in the middle of the summer. The guy's name is George Brookbank, he's written a couple of books on gardening in the desert. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.