Sowing grass seed over snow

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question but there are no lawn forums.

My cousin lives in York, Maine. She emailed me tonight they are expecting a blizzard. She is going to throw out a bunch of grass seed tonight and then throw more out on top of the snow tomorrow. She hopes that this grass seed will germinate in the spring with no effort. I have my doubts but said I'd ask on Dave's Garden for opinions. I'd hate to see her waste her grass seed doing this as I know it's not cheap.

What do you think? Will grass seed sown in this fashion germinate and grown into a thicker, lusher lawn come spring?

Thanks for all replies.

Brenda

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I've heard that before Brenda..I wished I had thought to do that. I did try throwing down some poppy seeds for direct sowing.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

If anyone knows that this will work please post!!! I'd love to be able to boost my lawn this way. I have 3 dogs...nuff said.

Personally, I don't think it would work. Each spring I have to replant my lawn because of the dogs. I know if I don't rake it deep enough it's pointless no matter how much seed I spread. Also if the birds find the seed or if we get too much rain too fast the seed is gone...it needs to be covered here.

Maybe it could work tho...if the ground is soggy/muddy enough to accept the seed? Wow, wouldn't that be nice!! I'd be buying up all of Wal-Mart's grass seed in fall every year from now on!

Westerville, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, it works. The winter freezing/thawing cycles "work" the seed into the soil. In fact, there are lawn experts who say that winter sowing is the second best time to reseed a lawn - fall is first.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

That's strange. The lawn care company I worked for always said that spring was the best time to plant grass seed because of the cool temps and lots of rain. Maybe it depends on the seed and the area of the country you're in? .........or maybe it was because I worked there in spring, LOL.

Westerville, OH(Zone 6a)

Or maybe if the lawn care company says spring is the best time to sew the seeds, they will drum up some business with some of their customers asking them to sow the seeds for them. Any advice given by a lawn care service needs to be taken with a big grain of salt.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.