Any Photos of Last Year's Wintersowing Results??

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, Everybody--

I am interested in knowing if any experienced Wintersowers could show pics of their wintersowing plants/flowers

(1) when they were mature and ready to be planted in the garden, or

(2) pics of them growing/blooming in your flower/vegetable garden???

If you have any, would you mind posting them here? I would like to see pics of the final products!!!

(I need some confidence building! )

Thanks. t.

my cleome from last year....

Thumbnail by tabasco
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

My first year doing this, but I have been very good at documenting it so far. I am hoping that we will still have a strong following next year and I will be able to share in my results.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

This is only going to get bigger!! :)

Susan

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Well I'm not super experienced but I'll show you some pics of things that worked for me. I don't member when they actually germinated (I WILL keep better records this year!) but I know i planted them out late spring.

Sunflowers

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Zinnias

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

South African foxgloves

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Assorted annuals

Corinth, NY(Zone 4b)

Oh they are all wonderful! I am really looking forward to this spring and getting everything together and growing. This is my first year, and I think I have almost 50 containers out. Seeing is believing! I will prolly drive you all nuts with photos.
Candy

PS luvsgrtdanes what program did you use for your collage? Picasso? I recently had to redo my computer, and forgot which program did that.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

love the pics - thanks for sharing. I have spring fever in the worst way. My containers are currently under 15" of snow

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Candy it is picasa.
Anitabryk2 I am just staring to ws and now my table is covered with at leat 13'' of that white stuff. Now I don't know where I am going to put them! LOL

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I think we are all going to get warmer weather in the next couple of days - perhaps by then some of it will have melted

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Luv, thanks for the pictures!! it is so inspirational!! :)

Susan

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Nice cleome, tabasco. Luvsgrtdanes, I'd love to see a list of those annuals in the 3rd pic. Gorgeous!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

These are not from last year, but examples from previous years of winter sowing:

2002:

Thumbnail by PVick
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

And from 2003:

PV

Thumbnail by PVick
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

I do most of my sowing in January and February, start planting out ( or transplanting to larger pots) in April-May, and have stuff blooming by late May-early June.

This will be my 5th year of winter sowing and I absolutely love it! There is no way I'd have all this stuff trying to start seeds inside, or worse yet, BUYING all those plants. I do tend to get carried away for my small space!
This year I'm trying to rein myself in and not sow so much.

tabasco - cleome was one of the first things I grew when I started. Beautiful flower.

luvsgrtdanes - beautiful pics!

PV

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

now I definitely have spring fever!!! I love the pics PV

Anita

OK!!!! I'm sooo glad to see some 'results' pics!! Those are gorgeous and so inspirational!

I was afraid since no one was posting pics that no one actually had good final results from Wintersowing... so interesting to see all the flowers side by side in the collages. Lot's of unusual varieties. And so beautiful.

Keep 'em coming, I'm loving all the photos, and I'm running out to buy more seeds today!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

wow, you can do zinnias and sunflowers too? hmmmmm

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

uuuuuuuuuuuu aaaahhhhhhhhh LOVE IT!! :) Thanks PVick!!

Susan

Wichita, KS

Here are some Hibiscus that I wintersowed last year.

Thumbnail by nut4spuds
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I see there is hope for my hibicus!!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I love hibiscus and I have seeds to wintersow. They are real show stoppers and I see people hit the breaks when my disco bells are in bloom down by the street.
:)

Susan

To die for! Must run out and get some hibiscus seeds now!

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi all,
I thought that since sunflowers were annual, you couldn't wintersow them. I just went and bought a flat for sowing them indoors where my kids will, no doubt, stick their curious little fingers into it. Should I cover it and put it outside?

tabasco,
I've got some hardy hibiscus seeds if you want some. I've never tried to start one for seed but they might work for you. I'd like a different type to go along with the one I have, so I might go and get some too!

Here's a photo of mine. The hibiscus and the blonde! :-) It was her 1st day of kindergarten and she wanted a flower for her teacher.

Thumbnail by LoraB

Yes, I think lots of people wintersow sunflowers and all kinds of annuals. I started all kinds, anyway, and will do more next month.

I think they start planting them around March 1 or so in Zone 6a.

If I were you, I would stick a cover on those sunflowers and set them outside. I started some sunflowers under lights a week or so ago and they have already succumbed to damping off (or something, anyway, they are goners).

Your little kindergartner is so cute! and so is the hibiscus. You have a knack for growing things! (-:

Thanks for the offer of seeds, but I won't bother you for them right now...I'll just pick some up at the garden center...

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

LoraB, I did my sunflowers last year in 4'' pots inside plastic bags around the end of Feb. and I was surprised at how well they did. I always had trouble with squirrels eating the seeds that I direct sowed or eating the little seedlings. I waited until mine were a few inches high before I planted them. I am doing several kind this year. I did the zinnia the same way.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Last year I just planted the seeds exactly where I wanted them and we had the perfect amounts of rain after I did it.. I may wintersow them this year so that I can control where they will grow.

Susan

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove

So cute! Soulgarden!

I will have to start some sunflowers for my little nieces!

I am going to plant my next batch of sunflowers in 4 inch pots too. Maybe a seed or two in each? Is that what you do, luvsgrtdanes?

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

tabasco, I did about 4-5 seeds per pot to be sure of germination then plucked out the weaker ones.

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

The coneflowers are from 2004. The Laura Bush Petunias are from 2005.

Thumbnail by JuBabe
Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

How would you recommend I cover a flat of sunflower seeds? and how to prop up the bag so it doesn't crush the sprouts once they come up? I was thinking about a large, opaque trash bag and some sort of "teepee" device. What do you think?

I don't really know how to deal with Sunflowers and I don't know about 'Opaque', either, since I wonder if enough light will go through..but I would like to use the trash bags instead, too.

I used the giant clear Zip Locs and when the time comes that the seedlings sprout and need more room, depending on the weather, I'll either make enough slits that they have room to grow, or use wire hangers to fashion a tent 'effect'...

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

They say that if you can see your hand thru the bag, it's okay to use as a cover - the seedlings will get enough light.

nut4spuds and LoraB - lovely hibiscus!

PV

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Several different years are combined into one collage.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous pictures everyone! Hurry up Spring!!

Shirley1md-- So great to see samplings of your Wintersowing! You're right-- Hurry up Spring!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Nice Shirley!! I think winter has returned for a bit. But more time to WS!!

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

LoraB, I used clothespins to lift my plastic bags. So far has worked through wind and heavy rain.

Thumbnail by KatyMac
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

very nice Katy. Shirley - love those pics!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.