pruning a Washingtonia

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

My neighbors have a really tall tree out front of their house that they get pruned about every 3-4 months... I finally got a chance to see it happen this morning... thought for sure they hired a crane... but this one guy with spike shoes, and with a rope around the tree, climbed all the way up there, and then pulled up a chain saw with a rope, and trimmed off the branches... what sort of hazard pay covers that!?

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

This is a far away shot of this tree... not sure how tall it is, but well over 60'... could be closer to 80'. But I am not good at judging heights.

Thumbnail by palmbob
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

i'm pretty sure i'd have to change my underware when i got back down.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

seriously crazy!! You couldn't pay me enough $ to do that.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The fronds are lined with sharkteeth thorns. I always get nailed when I prune mine. I can't imagine one of those things coming at your face when your hanging 80 feet in the air.

Glen Rock, PA

Hey Bob, you may already know this, but to find the height of any tree, all you need is a stick. Measure the distance from the lower knuckle (closest to the wrist) of the thumb to your eye when your arm is 90° from your body. This gets you the length of the stick for you to use. To measure height, stand at the spot where the bottom of the stick appears to be the ground where the tree grows, and the top of the stick is the top of the tree. (This is done while your arm is 90° from your body.) The height of the tree is the distance from your feet to the trunk. I keep a bamboo stick around for just this reason, a carpenter friend uses a 1"X1" Oak with fancy scroll work on it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.