Metal livestock waterer

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Hub's brought home a BIG metal livestock waterer someone pitched out because it had a hole in it. I'm thinking herbs since I have 4 boston terriers and anything not up high or enclosed some way gets "watered" by them. Since most herbs need lots of sun that maybe it'd get to hot in the summer and roast the roots but then it's a big ole honker thang and soil volume might help keep things from cooking. Whadda ya think. Pass or go for it?

P

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

bigred,
I was thinking the same thing, I got one of those (with holes in the bottom) a couple of years ago and just trying to fill it up with dirt lol Have been layering mulched leaves with it and have a pretty good bed of worms lol This year I should have it full and am wondering if the roots will get too hot in it so am interested to see what the verdict is….
I’m sure it will be ok, people plant in a lot of containers out in the sun, and these have plenty of dirt for them to survive in ;-) We may just have to water a little more.
Just the thing to keep your puppies out of ;-)
Lea

Harmony, PA(Zone 5b)

Or...plant a few things around this metal monster. Sorta like putting plants around your basement for protection from wind and cold and all that stuff?

Drumheller, Alberta, Canada(Zone 3a)

I too would love to hear what the "experts" say. I have 2 large metal bins that are currently waiting for soil - may take a couple of pick-up truck loads. But before I put out the expense of dirt I would like to know if it is viable!
Could painting the exterior a light color, be an answer? That way it shouldn't absorb too much heat?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Jury's still out on this one I guess. I may try locating it where it's in the shade the hottest part of the day and paint or line the edge so any plants touching the edge doesn't burn....maybe a band of thick pinestraw extending a bit over the edge?

P

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

When a craft place in town closed up, I bought a dozen of those galvenized French flower pots for .25 each. I drilled holes, planted plants, and hung them on the side of my garage. 2006 will be their third summer. I haven't had any problems with the plants and these are those tall skinny pots. They haven't rusted either, so I'm real happy with them. I would not hesitate to use any type of galenized container. I think the real problem would be if the metal rusted. I found some cute little paint buckets at Sherwin Williams one year and planted petunias. I hung them here and there and they all rusted.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I've used rusty 3 lb. coffee cans as planters hung on the weathered board fence at the entrance of our driveway. Only problem I have is in the summer because they dry out quick and have to be watered daily.

P

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Well, I don't know if rust is a valid reason or not, especially with annuals, But I don't think I'd want to plant in anything that rusts if I plan to overwinter the container or, for more southern zones, plant anything I'd want to keep going year to year. Just seems it would be toxic.

I do know that they make something called Rust-o-lium (or something like that) that can be painted on metal to prevent rusting. Whether it would be toxic to plants, I have no idea.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

The rusty cans are just for seasonal color and changes year to year.I don't think rust hurts plants. I've even heard old wives tale to stick a nail in the soil beside plants for the iron off the rusting nail and I have stuck nails along sides of stems of new veggies transplants to keep cutworms from doing what they love to do so well with no harm to the plants.

P

I use the water troughs for my vegetable garden. I took them to a motorcycle shop and had a big hole cut in the bottom of each one and had them all powder coated a bronze color. I set them on crushed rock and set up a drip irrigation system on a timer. I spent a small fortune on the entire set up ($700?), but the veg garden is now really easy to care for and they look nice too.

Thumbnail by
Drumheller, Alberta, Canada(Zone 3a)

WOW Toad lily those are great! Love the look!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

WOW! I may have to start hunting for more metal troughs but I'm too cheap to have them powder coated. Was that for the look or some other purpose?

P

Bigred: It was for the look. I wanted to use the metal containers but I felt they needed a more refined look to fit in with the rest of my garden. I chose powder coating because I think it will last longer than paint would. One could get a similar look with spray paint.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

my yard is country chic...LOL...so water trough will work as is but your's are beautiful.

P

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

bigred, you did cap the trough didn't you? If your terriers can get to it its probably a 30 or 40-gl one which is nice. LOL

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Great job Toad Lily! They look really good....maybe I need to go get some!
Debbie

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

I fyou are in an area where it gets really hot for weeks on end, you might think of painting your metal tubs with white paint. That would sure help keep down the heat. Dotti

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

So far our 'Farm' containers have been great,
They have EE`s,Cannas,Coleus(the main reason I done them)
no problems with heat or watering.One was a feeder we took the top off of
and the other a waterer we cut in half

This message was edited May 8, 2006 10:15 AM

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3
(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

georgiagarden3 I love your flower containers. I am going to ask some of our local farmers if any of them have a old feeder that they no longer use or doesn't work for them. I don't image I will get any where, but it never hurts to ask. If I should find one would you mine if I use your ideal?

Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.