Favorite ways to get rid of stuff

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

I thought it would be fun for people to list how they get rid of things (i.e. what organizations you call, places you go to get rid of things, methods, etc. --- legal of course!)

I'll start this thread of with my number one way of getting rid of things that can't be donated. I live on kind of a busy street. Fortunately my house is back from the street and has a long driveway so I don't have to hear or deal with the traffic. On sunny days with no rain predicted, I often put the items down by the curb with a 'free' sign on it. I've done this with so many things and it works! People don't feel shy stopping -- probably because you can't see the house from the road. Sometimes my husband thinks I am crazy and thinks we'll end up having to cart the item back but it never fails!! In our town we have to put a $5 sticker on an item if it can't fit in trash bag. So I figure if it doesn't go by trash day I'll just get a bulk sticker and toss it out.

Key to this working:
1) Good amount of traffic by your driveway
2) No rain (once an item is rained on no one will pick it up)
3) Put 'Free' on it or people less likely to take it
4) Don't put too many items out at once or the neighbors may get mad!

So what are your ideas?

This thread has 23 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!