Placed my 2006 dahlia orders today......

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Well, I did it. I ordered a bunch of dahlias. I hope they are as good as they look in the catalogs and that they will prosper and multiply so I will have lots to share next fall.

I have put in parentheses the source for the picture.

Ordered from Accent Dahlias, clockwise from upper left

Robin Hood (Aztec Dahlias)
Hillcrest Kismet (Aztec)
Sugartown Sunrise (Connell's)
Hamilton Lillian (Aztec)

Not Shown - Ruthie G

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Ordered from Aztec Dahlias, clockwise from upper left

El Triunfo (Aztec)
Peaches N Cream (Aztec)
Taratahi Sunrise (American Dahlia Society)
Rosemary Webb (Connell's)

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Also from Aztec

Kasuga (Swan Island Dahlias)

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

From Connell's Dahlias, clockwise from upper left:

Aslan (Connell's)
Pinelands Pal (Connell's)
Citron du Cap (Connell's)
Wildwood Marie (Connell's)

Connell's site wasn't working so I had to phone in my order. Hopefully they weren't sold out of any of them.

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I had to mail my order to Helen's Dahlias. I hope they have both of these still available. They are two of my all time favorites.

Alfred Grille (photo ?)

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

And Kingston. The only other place I found it was Connell's and they were sold out. The picture is from Connell's.

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Last order went to Mohawks's. It also had to be mailed in so I hope they have all of these in stock.

Clockwise from upper left:

Apple Blossom (Swan Island)
CG Coral (Cowlitz)
Parakeet (Swan Island)
Kenora Lisa (Connell)

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

One more, also from Mohawk:

Fire Magic (Swan Island)

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Well, what do y'all think?

I went out and measured my neighbor's raised bed today. How many dahlia's can I fit into a 19' x 19' bed?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Your neighbor's raised bed???
What do you mean???
What about your raised bed???
I don't get it???

All those look good, Candy. You chosed some good ones. Tho I could have maybe given you the 'Fire Magic' since I may be digging it up for Annie this spring.
You picked out some good ones so guess who I will be contacting next spring, LOL LOL!
Carol

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

drool drool......looking good

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Lovely ! Each and every one of them, tho I especially like 'Kingston'. So many tones on one blosssom.
I understand completely about your neighbor's raised flower bed. Can I be your neighbor? The lease would be minimal...... Marsha

Aptos, CA

SO beautiful!! ALL of them...I must order Alfred Grille...it looks amazing...

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I don't have a raised bed. In fact, the bed where I grow my dahlias is in a low spot. That is why I lost all my tubers during the wet years of 2003 and 2004. (We know why I lost all my tubers in 2005 but lets not go there....LOL) Almost all my beds are crammed with perennials so there is no room to put in dahlias that have to be dug up each fall. The low bed is also where I grow veggies and other annuals. My neighbors put in a raised bed some years ago and only used it once. I told them if they would let me use it they could have all the flowers they can pick. I will just have to convince the husband to NOT fertilize it. He likes to use things like MG which would be way too much nitrogen. He piled up all the fallen branches from last year's ice storm on it so I have to get out there and start clearing it off.

These neighbors raise Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Aunt Candy here gets to babysit the dogs when they are out of town. Right now they have a litter of 4 adorable furballs who have just opened their eyes and are trying to stand on wobbly legs. So cute!

Kingston and Alfred Grille have been at the top of my 'favorite dahlias' list for years.

Marsha, you would love to have my neighbor's yard (so would I) It is close to an acre of original farmland. Their soil is wonderful. My soil is potter's clay - all the good topsoil was removed when this subdivision was built in the 60's.

Here is a picture of Kingston in a bouquet. It's the little one in the lower center.

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Whaaah Kingston! Can I get on the list for 07 for that one? Maybe I can still find one for this year... Connells are at the NW Flower show and with luck they packed a couple Kingston tubers to go with them.

Those are beautiful blooms Candy! I hope your neighbor pups are good gardeners. I bet they're beyond cute. Looking forward to seeing these blooms in your yard.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Yeah, Kingston is a must have. I sure hope it is available through Helen's. If not, I will look for it at the local dahlia society sale. You are at the top of the list for a Kingston tuber since the one you asked for this year rotted. I promise not to take any chances with my tubers this fall. LOL

The dogs have their own fenced yard far away from the raised bed so no problems there. Hopefully there won't be any rabbit problems either. :^(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.