Photo by Melody

Dahlias: Placed my 2006 dahlia orders today......, 1 by NoH2O

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright NoH2O

In reply to: Placed my 2006 dahlia orders today......

Forum: Dahlias

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Placed my 2006 dahlia orders today......
NoH2O wrote:
I don't have a raised bed. In fact, the bed where I grow my dahlias is in a low spot. That is why I lost all my tubers during the wet years of 2003 and 2004. (We know why I lost all my tubers in 2005 but lets not go there....LOL) Almost all my beds are crammed with perennials so there is no room to put in dahlias that have to be dug up each fall. The low bed is also where I grow veggies and other annuals. My neighbors put in a raised bed some years ago and only used it once. I told them if they would let me use it they could have all the flowers they can pick. I will just have to convince the husband to NOT fertilize it. He likes to use things like MG which would be way too much nitrogen. He piled up all the fallen branches from last year's ice storm on it so I have to get out there and start clearing it off.

These neighbors raise Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Aunt Candy here gets to babysit the dogs when they are out of town. Right now they have a litter of 4 adorable furballs who have just opened their eyes and are trying to stand on wobbly legs. So cute!

Kingston and Alfred Grille have been at the top of my 'favorite dahlias' list for years.

Marsha, you would love to have my neighbor's yard (so would I) It is close to an acre of original farmland. Their soil is wonderful. My soil is potter's clay - all the good topsoil was removed when this subdivision was built in the 60's.

Here is a picture of Kingston in a bouquet. It's the little one in the lower center.