Heuchera, Heucherella and Tiarella growing conditions

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Kelly just remember it is HOT use it real close to the top. I put it in holes around the hosta drip line i bore with a little earth auger. I got 1/2 ton of top soil today will be getting the alfalfa later.
I keep the top soil covered for on hand supply.

I am getting to be a regular hauler since Xmas over I ton of turkey compost now in the past 2 weeks I have brought in 1 ton of top soil. Last fall I replaces all my wood mulch with with white driveway rock. that was 15tons. So I am tired of shoveling for awhile.
When I bring in the alfalfa I think i will bring in 4-50lb bags 2 bags pellets and 2 bags meal. I am interested in Experimenting with those crystals this year but at the price they want I do not want any.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oz,
Thanks for the tips. You Must be tired of shoveling by now,,,I'm tired just hearing what you have all shoveled,,,whew. Take a break.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I was planning to plant some Heuchera Apricot Flambé for groundcover, but my nurseryman has warned me away from them. He says they won't survive the winters here (he's tried them), even though they are listed as zone 4. Same goes for Lime Rickey and a few other new ones from Terra Nova. I noticed Kelly's post saying that her "Marmalade" died over the winter in zone 4.

Can anyone comment on Heucheras in zone 4? There are lots of Heucheras growing around town here, but which ones, I don't know.

Julie in Helena, MT

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I've not tried any of the ones you mentioned, but I planted several of Terra Nova's new ones last year. I'll let you know if they come back this spring. Although, this winter isn't a good test one, since it's not been bitter cold for long.

Three that I have had for a few years are Amethyst Mist, Midnight Claret, and Palace Purple. I've also had two others for a long time, but I don't know which cultivars they are.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Julie - This twigged me to something I read in Dan Heims book. There are two general types of Heucheras - the woodlanders (eastern North America) and the crevice dwellers. The showier species are the woodlanders, which are the ones he is working with the most. He says:

Quoting:
Someone with a dry western garden, would be advised to choose crevice dwellers which can take the aridity of summer and the cold (and possibly wet) winter conditions, including heavy snow loads. Woodland gardens with their shade and humus soil provide the situations needed by the lush, summer-growing woodlanders.

Maybe it's not just a matter of the zone, maybe it's the climate. I'm not sure of Montanas climate, but maybe this is why your nurseryman has had this experience?

Sandy

Sandy I read that and I agree with you parent stock genes might carry and cause that. I also noted some Heuchera come from here in the Ozarks along the Mo Ark Boarder. I may start getting my heuchera as early as 1 April. Not sure yet. Depends on if they are saleable by then according to the Nursury.

Kelly That Alfalfa is the hottest stuff i put in my compost drums. Put a little water with it in there and the next day it will scaled your hand in there.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Julie,

A few of mine were planted this last year so it's their first winter,,,will let you know which come back. So far I have the following ones that have come back for me, Cappuccino, Stormy Seas, Palace Purple, Monet, Amber Waves & Pewter Veil,,,I think that's all of them,,,I may be missing one or two.

Sandy,
So, where's your list of crevice dwellers and woodlanders for us???? LOL

oz,
I'll just be mixing it in with my compost/soil when I fill the beds,,,think that'll be o.k.?

Kelly

I would think that would be real good way to use it. That is what the guy in Ga done that got booted From Daves.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oz,
ROFLOL,,,you still get a kick out of that,,,,I'm glad it will work well that way.

Kelly

No never did get a kick out of it. but i thought he was nuts to be doing bussiness so openly. Then I find out he was defiant also. So I got to wonder. He will be back. I bet you on it.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,I wouldn't take that bet,,,,LOL

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Thanks, Sandy, that's a revelation. We don't have heavy snow loads, but we do have an arid climate (12" of precip annually). So that would be a negative for the woodlander heucheras. The only time it gets wet here is May-June. I guess I need to get ahold of Heims' book. What's the title?

Joan, your ND climate would be closest to mine, so let me know how your heucheras do. Wisconsin is much more humid, but Kelly still lost her Marmalade. Hmmm.

Julie

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Julie, If I forget, send me a reminder d-mail in late May and I'll give you a rundown of what survived. I may forget, and don't want you to think I forgot. LOL

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Heucheras and Heucherellas by Dan Heims and Grahame Ware. I've thrown the name of this book around so much that I feel like I should be selling it! ....but it's the only book on Heucheras until Oliver's comes out this year. If I get info from the book, I give credit where it's due.

Sandy

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Sandy,

It is a really nice book. Got it from the library and really enjoyed it. I won't buy it until I see the new one coming out,,,,,I want to compare them and see which I like best,,,,I'm betting it will be the new one as there's bound to be newer info and pics in it. But, we'll see. Newer isn't always better.

Kelly

I got the same book Sandy has Kelly. A little technical for me in a way but i learned a lot.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Hey, guess what? I e-mailed Terra Nova about woodlanders vs. crevice dwellers, and the answer came straight from the horse's mouth. Here I am quoting Dan the man:

"Most crevice dwellers have smaller foliage. Heuch's like the Canyon series from SB Botanical Garden, and the Petite series from Charles Oliver do very well. Heuchera micrantha types with very ruffled foliage also do well.
The species H. glabra is seen in Oregon on rock faces but is not used much in breeding. Most of the 'wand' type Heuchera like 'Magic Wand', 'Shamrock', and 'Hollywood' have strong H. cylindrica blood in them, which is another montane form. http://www.theprimrosepath.com/ will get you to Charles' site. Enjoy!
-Dan Heims"

When he says they do well, that's in answer to which ones do well in an arid western climate.

Julie

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

That's interesting Julie. I learned a lot from that paragraph. Thanks for emailing them.

I'm off to explore the Charles Oliver site now.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Julie,
Grat info and thanks for the link,,,awesome info there.

oz,
Didn't read the whole thing cover to cover,,,just skimmed,,,

Kelly it looks like I might have most of my Heuchera and Helleborus in about a week are so. I sent a wish list to a place in Kansas City yeasterday. It will be a couple days before he can confirm to me. I told him I wanted Helleborus in the orientalis species because i been advised they are compact growers. Also thinks he has vicking ship and Sunspot Heuchera plus Tairrella Neon Lights. Don't anyone ask me where either because I will be there the minute they hit the racks and I do not want a lot of company. Now I am looking for deals on Poly Crystals.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

ROTFLOL!!!!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oz,
Hope he has everything on your wish list. Aw,,,how come you don't want company,,,roflol???

KELLY---- I am scared to death Susan will go up there, sore rear end,arm and whatever else and she will litterly clean the place out out. No matter if it is a 5 hr drive one way.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

ROFLOL!!!!!! Don't let her hear you say that,,,,,,,she'll whopp yer backside,,,LOL

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

whopp whopp

=^..^=

Here I comeeeee.....

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

go get him,,,,LOL

I WILL and I am taking my shotgun. If I see some woman using one arm to grab everything on the shelf while limping along dragging a leg behind a shopping cart I am just going to shoot her and not even say "hi susan" first.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

OZ!

ROFLMBO,,,,Aw, don't shoot her,,,can't you just push the cart away from her,,,,we love her and don't want her hurt.

I don't know about that Kelly. She seem kind of persistant and obcessive to me. might be the only way to stop her is with the shotgun. I figure I can blame it on the Vice President.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

ROFLMBO Again,,,,oz, you are a stinker,,,,Love it!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.