Colorful Heucheras

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Heucheras have such colourful foliage! Just to kick things off in our new forum, how about we post some pics showing just how colourful they can be?

Here's Plum Pudding's spring foliage:

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Marmalade at the end of May:

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Lime Rickey:

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Obsidian:

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Hearts on Fire:

Thumbnail by sanannie
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Great looking plants! I love the color of your marmalade. It looks great with the circle of friends statue on the terra cotta pot.

I don't think I have any photos from last year. Most of mine were just planted last year and didn't make picture worthy. They spent the remainder of the summer settling in and hopefully growing lots of roots.

I can't wait for spring to come and they all start waking up. I'll definitely get pictures then.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I don't think I have any pics from last year either,,,but I sure will have some this year,,,planted quite a few new lovelies last year,,,,come on spring!!!!!!!

Sandy,
Gorgeous pics!

I lost my Marmalade last year ;``o{

Kelly

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

beautimous!!!!

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

NOW LADIES your going ot give the eskimo a head so big it is going to fall off her shoulders and break her key board.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,,oz, just wait til you get your's and post some pics,,,you'll be falling over with her,,,

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Thanks, you guys, I hope some others will post their pics too!

Oz, no fear of that chum! I'll take all the complements I can get....but I'll be sure to hand them out, too.

Sandy

Even the plain green one, Splendens, is colourful and the flowers last a long time.

Thumbnail by sanannie
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Whew,,,,we can all get a piece of that one,,,it's nice and big,,,,,lol

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Kelly - that's actually a group of about 5 of them and I've got *lots* to share because I divided a couple of them in the fall!

Albrightsville, PA(Zone 4a)

Heuchera Montrose Ruby

Thumbnail by woodthrush

H. Midnight Burgundy

Thumbnail by woodthrush

H. Strawberry Swirl

Thumbnail by woodthrush
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous! If you haven't already, will you submit them to plantfiles? They are really great photos, all of them.

I'm adding Midnight Burgundy to my shopping list. I have Midnight Claret, and I think Midnight Burgundy is a more vigerous form of Midnight Claret. My Midnight Claret is doing well, and it's beautiful! So, Midnight Burdundy should be even better. :)

H. Mardi Gras

Thumbnail by woodthrush

H. Hearts on Fire
I'll add them to the plant files tomorrow.
Pam

Thumbnail by woodthrush

H. Snow Angel

Thumbnail by woodthrush

H. City Lights

Thumbnail by woodthrush

H. Monet

Thumbnail by woodthrush

H. Stormy Seas

Thumbnail by woodthrush

Heucherella Heart of Darkness - young plant

Thumbnail by woodthrush
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I only have tried a few of these beauties...however they all seem to die out after a year or so. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? i plant in shaded situation and try to give them well drained area.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Great photos! I especially like 'Midnight Burgundy'. We have quite an assortment finally planted and I'll have to remind myself to grab some pics this spring to share.

I'll post some different tiarella's later.
Pam

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Wow, you have some gorgeous pics there, Pam. City Lights is one I haven't seen around. Thanks for posting!

Sandy

Tiarella Heronwoods Mist. Note the tiny piggyback leaf. I don't know if that's normal or not for this variety.
Pam

Thumbnail by woodthrush

Tiarella Kamono. When I took these photos last summer, I was trying to collect photos more of the foliage differences than the whole plant.

Thumbnail by woodthrush

Tiarella Neon Lights

Thumbnail by woodthrush
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

wood,
Gorgeous!!!!!!

My Stormy Seas is darker than yours,,,do you have yours in a lot of sun? I have mine in a.m. sun.

Kelly

Actually, I don't think it gets a lot of sun at all.
It's pretty close to the back of that bed and the trees and house keep any direct sun blocked. Does the silver veining show up with a lot of sun?
Pam

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

woodthrush, is it possible some of your tags might have got mixed up? The photo you posted of 'Heronswood Mist' actually looks like Tolmiea menziesii, common name 'Piggyback Plant' http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1664/index.html. 'Heronswood Mist' has green and white variegated foliage with a hint of pink in spring http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/77435/.

Also, I believe your photo of 'Neon Lights' looks more like x Heucherella 'Sunspot' http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/58063/index.html. 'Neon Lights' has a leaf with a dark center and deep green almost glossy foliage http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/82866/index.html

Some beautiful photos!

I got my list. looks like it is going to be close to mid april before I can work get them. I think friday are monday am going to go pick up a 1/2 ton of top soil to mix in with the chicken compost and other stuff in the new bed. There is a sheet of dolmite stone about a ft below the orginal surface over there. I guess with all my compost and top soil it is going to be about 2 ft deep in places. also heavy mostly shade. Heuchera should work over there. I am also going to get some Brunnera this year. This bed will be against the house. on a stone path we built last year. don't tell me to remove the stone. that rock is about 50 ft wide and that long. god only knows how deep. My house's foundation rest on it.

The heronswoods came from Primrose Path. It won't survive outside if it's a piggyback plant, so I'll know for sure in the spring. There are several tiarella's that have the red like Sunspot and Spotlight. They aren't planted close together at all, so if tagged wrong, they came from the different nurseries. Maybe sun exposure has to do with it? My yard is very shaded.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Pam,
I don't know if it shows up more or not with sun,,,I'll definitely get a pic of mine this spring and post it.

Kelly

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Pam, it's possible the shade has something to do with it. Although, we have our 'Neon Lights' in a shady location also and even in the early spring, I've never seen it with even a hint of red. That's one of the things I've always liked about this Tiarella is the almost black centers. What time of year was your photo taken?

I can verify that Tiarellas have an eversion to sun around here. I am itchiong to go get that dirt but it really is to cold to work out there. Suppose to be about 12-14 hundred puond a scoop. Good load for my little pickup even with overload springs on it.

Well, I have been thinking about it and now I am wondering if the ones I have that all look so similiar are the ones from that awful coop last summer. I wonder after all the problems, if I received mislabeled plants too. Once spring comes, I'll have to verify the markings on each of them.
Pam

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.