Propagating with paper towels...

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi all,

I'm new and nervous about some seed directions I got to put the seeds in wet paper towels. I never really heard of this until I joined DG. Why can't you just put them in peat pots? Does the paper towel dry out in 24 hours? I'm just baffled why some seeds are started this way and I'm sure I'll mess it up somehow... any advice for a newbie on this?

Thanks.

Megan

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Idon't like the paper towel method . I think it is like soaking , but you don't know what the towel was treated with .
They are all processed . Most of the time , they are talking about brown paper towels . I use 3 different towels in my house - bounty in kitchen- Viva for colds , runny noses and blue ones in garage - none for plants . If you are going to use , I would suggest the brown paper napkins in Taco Bell .
I think either Jiffy 7 pellets or rockwool works better . I am trying both this year .
Before finding this site , I was useing either peat or Supersoil [ brand name here ] potting soil .
I soak the seeds in 1/2 cup of H202 in a gallon of Distilled water for about 24 hrs . The H202 is 3% I buy at the $1 store .
I was going to toss some seeds I started because nothing happened after a week , but read here sometimes it can take months so I just moved to the side and after 3 weeks they started sprouting .
Good luck and try posting in a different forum if no one else has answered by monday or after reading this .

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I tried the paper towels and baggies at the beginning of the month for morning glories- using the H202 and superthrive - soaked the paper towels in it..it worked pretty good- am trying the peat pots now...I think the baggies work well for some sorts of seeds that sprout quickly..while the peat is better for slower sprouts..thats my assesment so far..It/s fun trying it though
Rj

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Thanks tony and Rj,

I just went to Classic Threads looking for something else and lo and behold, there is a thread on this topic in there. Thanks for your help.

Megan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.