What role should art play in the garden?

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Once we have placed a piece of art in our garden whether it is a garden gnome or more valuable piece acquired from a gallery what is it that we are hoping to achieve? Does this simple act change the garden from being the primary point of interest to becoming instead a backdrop for highlighting the sculpture? How does a garden cross the line and become an outdoor gallery is it a question of quantity, prominent placement, or simply the designers definition? It has been pointed out to me that at nearly every focal point in one of my gardens I have placed piece of yard art (actually more like yard junk) as if I am afraid to let the garden stand-alone and speak for itself. Can the two work together without detracting from one another? What role do you think art should play in the garden? Katy

Thumbnail by runktrun
This thread has 32 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!