Desert Nectarine needs a pal

Scottsdale, AZ

I have a 2 1/2 yr old DN tree that started slow, but really took off in the last year. Since it likes the location (west facing), I was thinking of planting another as there's room next to him/her.

Any suggestions? Stick with nectarines or jazz things up with another food producing tree? I already have orange, lime & a lemon tree. I'd probably want something similar in size, look.

Thanks, Jon

Gilbert, AZ(Zone 9a)

I know you mentioned that your desert nectarine is on the west side of your yard, but does this area get any shade in the late afternoon from a neighbor's tree or something? I like diversity, so I vote for something different from what you already have - how about an apple? I have an Einshimer and an Anna apple. Mine are on the east side of my yard, but the Anna apple is in summer sun from morning until about 2pm or so. During it's first summer in 2004, it's leaves did burn a bit from the sun, but did remarkably better at handling it last year. I like the way it grows as well (when compared to my Einshimer). I am looking forward to more apples this year. I only let them set a couple apples each last year because I was anxious to try them - they were small, but good.

You could always stick with the citrus group and plant a tangerine or grapefruit. I also have june gold peach, methley plum and shinseiki asian pear. I did not let these set any fruit yet because they were young. This will be their third year, so I will let some fruit develop this summer. I added a few more fruit trees this year already, but I can't comment on how they will do just yet.

Good luck - I hope others will chime in and give you more ideas.

-June

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

If you planted a peach tree next to it, I bet you'd be the envy of the neighborhood. Or an apricot.

Phoenix, AZ

I have a Blood Orange that's pretty prolific, tasty, and provoke's alot of interest when I introduce it into a salad. I had a peach tree once but the birds and squirrels in my 'hood loved it way too much. I even put bird netting over it and they still figured it out.

Mesa, AZ

Apricot! I love the smell of the flowers and the fruit is just so yummy when you pick it fully ripe and warm from the sun! Yep- gotta fight with the birds for it, but netting by branch seems to keep the majority of the crop safe and I don't mind sharing the rest. Mine is just looking like it might be stirring... can't wait- this will be our 3rd year and I am going to let more fruit set.

Susie
drooling already! :)

Gilbert, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yikes, I can't believe I forgot apricots! I have a Blenheim Royal apricot that really produced last year. The fruit was delicious and it's a beautiful tree too. There's also pomegranete that can be trained to tree form. Jujube is a really pretty tree. I planted one last year and it seemed to laugh at the heat. The fall leaves were a nice bright yellow too. I know there's others I'm forgetting. Jon, let us know what you decide on!
-June

Scottsdale, AZ

Thanks all. I went with a florida peach (because I eat those more than apricots). I also decided to get another tree for the opposite side - so there will be three in a row. This was an unexpected choice - a dwarf almond tree. They had them at Bakers alongside the other citrus and they appear to be similar in structure.

Nuts & Fruits. I'll have to start a cereal brand :)

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

... or a social club.....

Scottsdale, AZ

Or a new state out west... I'll call it: California!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.