Need ideas for replacing some plants...

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I got sick last fall and all my perennials dried out :-( I had a beautiful climbing rose in a large pot on a trellis in the west-facing corner of my balcony. It gets a lot of wind and afternoon sun. The rose was great to provide a windbreak. This year I'd like to try an annual vine that can take the wind. I might plant another climber to take the place of the old one, but I'd like an annual vine to provide coverage while the new rose grows. Any ideas??

Here's what it looked like last June.

Thumbnail by revclaus
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

What a pretty picture! I love climbing roses and collections of happy container plants. You did a really good job with yours. I'm so sad they dried out. :-( I wish I had some advice, but all I can think of is to try posting this in the annuals forum or the vines and climbers one. Good luck!

xxxxx, Carrie

Seattle, WA

How about trying a Moon Vine?

They are fragrant and very, very pretty.

That's what I had before the rose, but there's a bright light mounted on the corner of the building that keep's the moonflower from blooming much...boo-hoo! Plus, it was full of holes. I don't know what caused that. I'd be willing to give it another try though, but maybe morning glories would be better.

Thumbnail by revclaus
Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

How about Black-Eyed Susan Vine (Thunbergia alata) or a clematis vine like 'Jackmanii' or 'Nelly Moser'? The clematis may be a little tall for you though. I am going to try the Black-Eyed Susan Vine this year so I don't know much about it yet.

Here it is in the plant files database:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/248/index.html

Sue

I was thinking of BES vine. Select Seeds has plants I could order (when I save up enough money). They're gorgeous! "Spanish Eyes"

http://www.selectseeds.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/09112.1.2289197084878097686

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

If you try morning glories, grow a few different types together. Our pink ones ( I'm not sure of the variety) have fairly plain flowers but they grow really fast and tall. Some of the showy types like 'Grampa Ott' have beautiful flowers but they can be picky or slow growing. By mixing them you can get lots of coverage and some really pretty flowers.

Plymouth, MI(Zone 5b)

I second the comment about the morning glories. I honestly have never had much luck with the pink varieties, but the blue ones have always performed well. Last year we tried Heavenly (I think that's what it's called) and Flying Saucer. I personally love morning glories for areas near my baby trumpet vines because they quickly cover an area and make it look nice while allowing my perennials a chance to catch up :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I had a large pot on the patio a couple of years ago that worked pretty well. I just planted seed--black eyed susan vine and some bushy nasturtiums. They both grew well from seed and the nasturtium covered the bottom legs of the BES vine. There are 4 or 5 different colors of BES available now and several great nasturtiums that would make some good color combos. I think I'll try it again this year:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.