Can anyone recommend a Landscape Architect?

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

I am in Central Florida zone 9a between Ocala and Orlando, in The Villages. I want a lush tropical front of home landscape and really want to hire a landscape architect to do a plan. I know that some of the garden centers (Porters, etc.) have them on salary, but I would much rather hire someone who is independent of using a particular nursery's plants. I have done a google search with no results and would rather trust someone here to recommend someone. Thanks very much!! Karen

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Hi Sweetie,

I can! You may remember that we completely remodeled our yard this summer. The company who did the work was Highland Grove out of Longwood. I don't know how far out they work, but they may be able to at least do your plan. Let me know if you're interested.

Love,

Leslie

Hi Les,

Were they architects or landscapers? I really wanted to use an architect to plan the "tropical rainforest" I am thinking of doing now. Thinking of philodendrons, pretty leaf plants and maybe gingers. Love back, K

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Karen, have you checked the yellow pages?

Hap

Port Saint Lucie, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Karen,

I own a Landscape Consulting and Design company, but am in the Port St Lucie area. I recommend doing a search under Landscape design. You can also call your local extension office, and talk with a Master Gardener, which I am one. They may have a list of designers in your area. I am happy you are looking to hire a Landscape Designer, and not a landscape company or nursery. We do a more complete job, ie.. soil testing, moisture testing, and most often recommend Florida Natives, that hold up much better in the landscape. I wish I could have been more help. Happy Gardening. John Ray, Vice President, GroundUp Landscape Consulting & Design.

Thanks John,
We actually finally found a couple to do our landscaping!! They are Liz and Richard "Gingerland" "Birds and Blooms" north of Ocala Florida. We spent something like three hours there just looking at all the great plants. They do speaking engagements all over Florida on growing Gingers. I am so excited. Will post photos in early March after it is done. Karen

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Karen,

How exciting! I can't wait to see it. My company told me about yours because I have a tropical section in my yard. Please take before and after pictures.

Love,
Leslie

I sure will!!

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Jim for the heads up on how to find a good designer. I appreciate a good design when I see one but conceptualizing it is over my head. I need someone to listen to my goals and draw up a plan. I'd rather have the fun of putting it in myself.

Maggie

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

why not call the Garden Rebel.....Robt Vincent Sims

Thanks Bob, but we actually hired Birdlady Liz and her husband to do it. They specialize in gingers and cold hardy tropicals and their nursery is amazing!! Keeping it in the Dave's Garden family :-)

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Hi Karen,

How is the project coming along?

Leslie

How are you Leslie?

Liz and Richard planted one side of my house so far and will finish in April cause this is their busy time of year with shows every weekend, etc.

It is going to look something like BWilliams but without the caladiums at the bottom. Karen

Thumbnail by tropicalkaren

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.