Seed starting Questions

Palmyra, PA(Zone 6a)

I'm starting seeds today and had a couple of questions - I have a shelf on which to put my trays - but it's at a window. Would they sprout better someplace without light - or does it depend on the seed? I'm starting petunias, snaps, impatiens, and coleus, among a few other experimental kinds :) Also, any suggestions on if I am too late/too early to start these varieties?

I purchased 2 of the seedstarters from Gardener's Supply Co. Any comments on how they have worked for any of you?

Thanks for your help!

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

This message was edited May 28, 2010 4:38 PM

Palmyra, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much! I'll check out the website.

Byron, GA

Impatiens and coleus need light to germinate. For germination, coleus requires 70-75 degree constant temps and impatiens like it between 60 and 70 degrees. Grow at 60 degrees 'til transplant size for both. Impatiens are a little more forgiving on temp fluctuation. Coleus grow pretty fast and I'm not planting mine until mid February, that's about a month before our last frost. I started some impatiens the second week in January. Have already transplanted 50 or so. Still planting a few seeds every week or so.
Digs

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm pretty new at this myself, but [in these cold days] have started (and had success) putting my seedling trays (most seeds need heat, not light, to germinate) next to my coffee pot. My pot shuts off after 5 hours, so I set a pot full of water in it, and turn it on once or twice a day and it creates a nice greenhouse effect in each seed tray. Plus, I know it will turn off by itself. If your pot doesn't do this, you can purchase one of those electric timers, and attach your coffee pot to it and do it that way.

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Petunias and snaps also need light to germinate and should not be covered with soil....

Palmyra, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you, edder, for the insight. What a clever idea, Ladyborg, with the coffeepot. I'll have to rig something up like that. I have one seedling heating mat - but just one. So there should be a way to come up with a clever idea like that for me, too. Mine are in the laundry room - maybe I'll stick them on top of my freezer or my dryer! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.