invasive S. Florida plants?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

I am a gardener and artist in New York City. I am hoping to get some advise on Southern Florida plants.

My husband and fellow artist, Bob Braine, and I are collaborating with choreographer Jennifer Monson on a dance performance entitled Flight of Mind. Jennifer has been exploring ideas about birds and migrations for several years through the Bird Brain Project. In Flight of Mind, she is interested in how migrating birds are interacting with an ever-changing landscape – At each stop along their migratory path birds participate in sometimes very significant ways in the local systems and then leave. The dance is centered on this idea of “locations.”

Flight of Mind debuted at Dance Theater Workshop in New York City and will travel to Miami, FL in March and then to Helena, MT and Portland, OR. Bob’s and my part in all of this has been deeply collaborative as our work is primarily about landscape. For all of the performances we want the visuals to resonate with the audience – to bring to their minds questions and images about where nature’s place is in the (post)industrial landscape. The stage set and ‘props’ are a series of plantings (or gardens…) that will change in each city to reflect the local landscape. We are particularly interested in liminal spaces. What exists in these places that aren’t quite nature yet also are not part of the city proper? The specific plants we chose for the NYC performance were all common “vacant lot plants.” They were also all species whose populations in NYC owe their present extent and or existence to human activity. We partnered with the National Park Service at the Gateway National Recreation Area to remove the common reed (Phragmites australis) and mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) from Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge and also worked upstate to remove purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria) and cattails (Typha latifolia) that were invading a privately owned pond. These partnerships worked great as not only were we helping the land(owners) by removing invasive plants, but we were also able to get the plants we were looking for – which in the case of purple loosestrife would have been difficult due to its noxious weed status.

Of course it was easy for us to portray our home landscape. Unfortunately neither of us has been to Southern Florida and the landscape certainly seems alien. (I’m really excited to finally go as visiting the everglades has been a dream of mine for so long!) We are at a bit of a loss as to what species of plants will resonate with the average gardener or the average Miami resident. Does anyone have any suggestions for potential plant canidates for our plantings? What plants represent human interaction with the natural South Florida landscape? Are there any areas in FL that we should visit for inspiration? If anyone is really interested please d-mail me and I can tell you more about the project. Thank you, thank you!

Thumbnail by lolly_braine
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

One invader throughout Florida that was brought in by human intervention is the Water Hyacinth (Eichornia sp.) http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/661/index.html It is now prohibited to possess the plant in Florida.

The Water Hyacinth has been mostly eradicated from our waterways by diligent spraying by state officials, but still makes an appearance now and then. Being a water plant, it may be difficult to portray as part of your stage setting.

And also in south Florida are the Melaleuca trees which have also been noxious invaders. http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=Mellaleuca&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search&searcher[common]=Melaleuca I'm not sure which species is the one that devastated much of the natural forestation in S. Florida.

As a fellow artist (oil painter) and former NYC actor/gardener (I restored an old turn of the century garden behind my apartment at & Morton St in the West Village), I wish you success with your project. It sounds very interesting!

Below is an image of my recent painting of the water hyacinth.

I'm sure our South Florida friends will have more plants to add to your list.

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

Your project sounds very interesting and I wish you lots of luck with it. The most pervasive invasives here in South Florida are Melaleuca (as Jeremy noted), Australian Pines and Brazilian Pepper. Here is a link of the University of Florida that shows some of the worst offenders. http://www.fl-dof.com/forest_management/fh_invasives_index.html
You can also contact the Cooperative Extensions in Miami-Dade county and Broward County. They will be happy to provide you with a list of invasives. They can also help you find the places where those plants can be found. Ask them to give you a copy of the South Florida Water Management District "Waterwise" booklet. There you will find the list of all invasives according to categories.

As a gardener here in South Fl. I have to fight a number of invasives. The worst are Mexican Petunia (after 6 years I'm still pulling it out), Carrotwood tree seedlings, Sword fern, Earlef Acacia seedlings and Bischofia tree seedlings.

jnana

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for all of the ideas. What a beautiful painting. Bob and I did some botanical watercolours for our last project, Bronx Lot Florilegium, and I really enjoyed it - I hope that I'll get the chance to do more...

jnana, I will try to get a copy of that booklet right away. I really appreciate hearing about your own experiences with invasives. I think that plants that people have direct experience with will mean more to the audience than plants that they may or may not have heard of. Also there will be more opportunities for us to remove plants that are just begining to be problems in natural areas (from what I understand mexican petunias fall into this catagory) or plants that the government has 'given up on' (like phragmites) because these plants are less regulated. Of course we will not be putting any of these plants back into the environment after the dance is over.

One of the plants that worked particularly well in the NYC performance was mugwort- it is very strong smelling and as the dancers worked with it, the entire theater was filled with the smell. Can you think of any smelly FL plants?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Here is one of my watercolors from the Bronx Lot Florilegium.

Thumbnail by lolly_braine

Very gorgeous watercolor, Lollyb. Watercolor is a medium I'm too timid to tackle. I admire your control and great results! I'm familiar with the plant in your painting from a rooftop garden I tended for artist, Lowell Nesbitt, in the West Village.

I'm not sure if it is listed on the invasive list or not (but it probably soon will be!), but if you want a smelly plant that spreads profusely, try Clerodendrum bungei (Glory Bower).
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1253/index.html

It has the pungent aroma of Geritol or Flintstones vitamins when slightly crushed. I admired the flower and brought one home from a friend's garden in Tallahassee. I now have dozens of them coming up yards away from the parent plants and there seems to be no stopping them!

Jeremy

This message was edited Jan 30, 2006 6:47 PM

This message was edited Jan 31, 2006 8:58 AM

One very fragrant invasive is Clerodenrum chinense or philippinum. It spreads and spreads. I love the smell, but in no time it would take over anyone's yard. Many Clerodendrum are quite agressive although they are not listed as invasives. Another one is Lonicera japonica (Honeysuckle) which is listed as invasive. It has a great smell, but it's very agressive.

Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Brazilian pepper leaves have the scent of turperntine when they are crushed.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Some of the passiflora vines are very fragrant also.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

brazilian pepper, mother in law tongue, creeping charlie, Shefflera, melaluca make the top of the list for me. the worst smelling is the voodoo lily of course.

I'm not sure you could keep an audience with a voodoo lily present -- everyone would run gagging for the exits! I have two Dracunculus vulgaris (similar to voodoo lily) that I made the mistake of planting near my front entrance. Springtime now smells like rotting rats! I found one of the bulbs and moved it last year. The leaves on the other one just came up, so I'll be able to dig it up and move it before it flowers (thank goodness!)

Jeremy

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for all of the replies. So far my list of plants are:
Pennisetum purpureum (elephant grass)
Neyraudia reynaudiana (burma reed)
Lygodium microphyllum, Lygodium japonicum (old-world and Japanese climbing fern)
Clerodendrum bungei (strong-scented glory-bower)
Ruellia brittoniana (mexican petunia)

All of these plants can be found at http://www.fleppc.org/. I have a source for the first two listed, but am still looking for someone who wants to get rid of the others. Also this list is not set in stone, so suggestions are still welcomed!

Lolly

ps - it's so strange for me to think of the passifloras as bing invasive (although I know they are down S) because I really have to pamper mine to keep it alive!

I just pulled up about twenty C. bungei and put them out for the yard trash collection. I'll go get them out of the pile and save them for you in some pots. There will always be more if you need them at some later date.

Jeremy

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks Jeremy! -- but I don't know how I would get them from you. I am flying to Miami on March 19th and I won't have a car or anything... I imagine I am replying too late anyway. I've been in a little cocoon the past couple of weeks working on my webpage. It's finally finished! (there are just some little things to do left) I don't know if I'm suppossed to do this but here is the address: http://mysite.verizon.net/reedbraine/

lolly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.