backyard birds

Plano, TX(Zone 7b)

This is an interesting and handsome sparrow, good-sized. I think a Harris sparrow.

Thumbnail by ambercoakley
Plano, TX(Zone 7b)

Mourning dove, right?

Plano, TX(Zone 7b)

Here is another of the hairy woodpecker - from the back. They are so cool.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Outstanding pictures. You really have the knack of getting some hard to find bird shots. I really enjoyed them!

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

Yes, I agree. These are great pictures. I never can get close enough to get the kind of shots you are getting.

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Amber, it might be worth your while to get involved with some birders. They go out on field trips and it's a great way to learn. I admire your pictures very much. Joan

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Great pictures!! I really love the hawk. We have a family of hawks who lives in our neighborhood too. I have never been lucky enough to get a picture. thanks for sharing :-)

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Amber, great photos. Thankyou for sharing with us. DonnaS

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Photoshop elements. I buy it at.... like Best Buy? I checked, and I have ArcSoft photobase. It downloaded as an update to my HPdirecter. I tried it using a picture of out back with an aster....I don't have a bird picture.....and I lost the original? Not sure how to just add, keeping the original?

Is that a sparrow? He's pretty neat looking! Your pictures are all so good! Do you lose the color in yours when cropping? This didn't go b&w, but it sure did fog up! I tried fixing it......lol....I need to practice! So pardon my very amateurish try.....lol...any tips from anyone is appreciated!

Terry

Thumbnail by terryr

well that didn't work!

Plano, TX(Zone 7b)

terry-
i bought and downloaded photoshop elements from adobe's website. if all you want to do is crop and print, there are many freebie programs that would do the trick. i am planning on getting "fancy" someday, so that is why i chose the photoshop elements program. the fogging up you mention is probably the result of cropping the picture and then enlarging it. the better quality of picture that is taken, the less if fogs up when you crop and/or enlarge it. some of mine are fuzzier than others, because of the distance between me and the bird. some are fuzzy because either me or the bird moved. also in general, for digital pictures, the number of pixels makes a big difference - basically, the mor pixels, the better the picture.

joan-
i have my "winter birds" thing at the arboretum tomorrow, led by a member of the local audubon society. we'll be traipsing around the arboretum which has lake frontage as well. i will of course take my binoculars and camera and tripod. i hope to get some good pictures. if i do, i'll post them.

amber

Amber, my picture was clear until I hit the crop button. Then the whole picture went cloudy. I thought when I moved the cursor over where I wanted it cropped, it would become clear. It didn't, and it stays small, like it is above :o( If all else fails, read the help section provided....lol....

Plano, TX(Zone 7b)

well i had a fun time at the arboretum birding thing. it was a classroom slideshow followed by a walk. i saw the most amazing duck, a wood duck. really bowled me over. i'm posting that picture now, mr. and mrs. wood duck.

Plano, TX(Zone 7b)

and here's a closeup of mr. wood duck

Plano, TX(Zone 7b)

i got a couple good pictures of a female red-bellied woodpecker today in my back yard. i'll post the best 2...

Plano, TX(Zone 7b)

it's hard to only pick 2! i love woodpeckers

Plano, TX(Zone 7b)

i was able to get a better picture of a cedar waxwing that visited this weekend...

Plano, TX(Zone 7b)

this is a picture of a duck at the pond in my neighborhood. i'm really not sure what kind, but i'll guess an american widgeon (?)

Plano, TX(Zone 7b)

ok, last picture to share today - flying squirrel ;-)

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. Jes LUV that last shot!! ..
Can't be denied - - a flyin' squirrel he is !!! .. LOL ..
Xcellent 'timing' or 'luck' - either way; a mitey dandy shot!!

All, are beautiful .. but the Wood Ducks, are a 'living' artists' canvas!!

- Magpye

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Gosh Amber - You have got the touch! Great picture taking instincts. I too love that flying squirrel picture lol! I bet there wasn't much left in that dish by the time he left.

Quoting:
Gosh Amber - You have got the touch!

I second that! Love all the pictures.....especially Mr. Wood Duck. I've never seen anything like him. Although I love cedar waxwings, I've never seen one in person...:o(

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Nice series of photos of different species. I'm pretty certain that the flying duck is an American Widgeon. Keep them coming !!!

Plano, TX(Zone 7b)

oh, i'm so glad you all are enjoying the pictures. i have so much fun watching the birds and always trying to get better pictures. i've really gone off the deep end now. i had an idea that i could get more and better pictures if i could get closer to the feeders/trees without the birds seeing me. so, i've decided to build myself a little enclosure off the back of my stone fireplace outside. it faces the fence with all of the feeders and bordering trees. without going into detail, it should be pretty easy to build and i should be able to "hide" from them. i'll take it down in the summer probably, but thought it would be great to get all the spring birds. i think i can do it this coming weekend, i'll keep you posted.

amber

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.