Toughest challenge for gardeners in the NE?

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

here are some pictures of rocks and boldeers in my yard

Thumbnail by Maria
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

this one is just the top

Thumbnail by Maria
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

and so is this one

Thumbnail by Maria
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

these were moved to make another wall, and this is it, could do at least 20 more, had enough of rocks?

edited to correct typo errors. , do not know how to type, sorry

This message was edited Feb 6, 2006 5:19 PM

Thumbnail by Maria
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

yikes..

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Just one more photo of the rock I posted before with snow. This is my departed husband with great Granddaughter and her mother on top of it

Thumbnail by Maria
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Now that's a ROCK!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL Dave - "rock thumb" :) I remember experiencing the same thing every year in my vegetable garden. Just when we thought we got rid of them, every winter the soil would heave them up from even deeper in the soil and there would be more to contend with! Then every hole I'd dig to make room for new perennials, I'd end up with another stockpile of rocks. Finally got smart and started building raised beds with them. This is a picture of one area that I used to call my "Pneumonia Garden". I worked so hard that year getting these rocks out of the ground with a crow bar and shovel, then having to "roll" them into place - I wore myself out and ended up with pneumonia!

This picture is a little fuzzy because it was scanned.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

ren, did you live up north then when you took that picture?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Maria, born and raised in Maine :) Moved to Virginia six years ago and I don't miss your winters!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I love the pic - I definitely don't have that problem, rcn. I bought a flat of rocks like that. I should just come to your house instead.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I love the state of VA have been there many times very beautiful but did not think any one living there would consider VA is part of the NE but the SE
However, it is nice you still think your are a down-easterner even if you do nor care for the snow of which we are having tons of at the moment.

this is my backyard some time ago and snow is still at it

Thumbnail by Maria
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Maria, I follow the NE forum just because at heart I'll always be a "Mainuh" :) Since I spent almost a half century there, I'll always consider myself a Yankee! When I first started following your forum we didn't have a Mid-Atlantic forum for the SE, although that has finally changed this past week!!

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

rcn, know just how you feel, have lived here since 1946 but was born and raised and educated in Vienna, Austria, and in my heart I will always be a Viennese

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

rcn, Very pretty garden. That is the good aspect of rocks: pretty. Hope you keep visiting us in the NE for lobstah and an ole fashioned Nor'eastah like the one outside.
Dave

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

brrrrr

West Warwick, RI(Zone 6b)

Just came in from outside....
can't feel my toes....

Hey Dave(not Dave), don't eat the yellow snow!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

LOL!!!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Dena, Glad you're back (I guess)

You guess?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Hey Dave - don't forget to take pictures of your snow drawings.....

Dena - with a comment like that from Dave - I would watch where I make my snow angels..just a thought

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

You know; the yellow snow thing.
My 6 yr old just came in and told me the snow would be over even my boots. He's one happy little guy right now.

Sorry Dave(N.D.), I didn't mean to hurt your ego, I was going for funny.
And don't even think of throwing snow balls at me!!!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I know I'm safe - you can't see me..heck I can't even see the house across the street!!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I was going for funny too. Obviously, I didn't make it. Dena, It would take a lot more than that to hurt my ego. Always go for funny. I appreciate that.
Why do you spell green wrong? 2es was taken? Poor spelling?
(I'm dyslexic. I'm really Dave74.)
D(DN)

There is a double e out there, thats also the reason for the caps on all letters

I have grown to like my screamin screen name! LOL

And I can't type so good and my speak isn't not good either.

I just dug out my cahh, and now I'm ready for a big ol bowl of chowdah...

Don't you just love a smaht a*s Rhode Islandah, you should try it! Its wicked cool!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Connecticut kind of got left out of that New England accent thing. Wonder why? Do you have to be a Red Sox fan?

nah, but it helps

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

think its the classy neighbors on this side of the sound...

What I don't understand is why no one says their r's at the end of a word unless the r doesn't belong there, for an example...

People in RI, often change my name from Dena to Dener, but they most certainly don't drive a car, they drive cahz...

Folks here think I was raised in other states becuz, more often than not I pronounce all my words properly. I realllly can't spell to save my life, and I type like I was born with pork sausage fingers. Guess they were made for digging not typing.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'll confess that my spelling has improved dramatically since I started using the 'spell check'. I still use a synonym if it's spelled right, LOL.
I grew up speaking French so I guess English is my second language.
Andy P

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

When I moved to Ct. 25 years ago, I thought everyone was stupid because of the accent. I walked around pronouncing towns like Ledyard Lead- yard, instead of ledgerd. People would say " What the heck are you saying?!?" and never understood me. They thought I was the stupid sounding one, and I guess I was! I must have finally given up because now I even know how to say Wequetequock (one of my favorites- pronounced Wick-a-tee-kwock).

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Ivy, you are closer to RI and the accent starts out your way. But I agree with Dina. My friends from MA pronounce "Peter ate a sandwhich on pita" as though the r was on pita and not on Peter. Cracks me up.
Of course, our friends on Lawn Guyland are classy.
As for me, I'm perfect.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

You're a perfect what....? You didn't finish your sentence...

Salem, MA

Old-time Guilford natives still had the accent when I lived there, but all the newcomers moving in from other places diluted it to the point that it disappeared. Or as they still say up here, disappeeuhd ;-)

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

taugh gardening in the north east isn't it ? lol

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Weeds, There are still some old Yankee farmers here. But only a few. Relatively speaking, given the yuppiefication of suburban sprawl, it has remained a pretty down to earth place. Now, next door in Madison...

ha ha ha yuppiefication!
LOL! I love that! Dave, you funny!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

You're bringing on a smile here with your comments about accents :) Love the New England humor LOL! I never thought I had much of an accent until I moved south! I really raised some eyebrows the first time "wicked" slipped out! I had the hardest time getting used to the southern accent. I'd pick up the messages from the answering machine and would be totally lost - couldn't understand a darned thing! Getting used to it now, but still find it difficult to pronunciate some of the names of the towns down here. For example, one that's close by - Staunton - now come on tell me, how would "you all" pronounce that? I called directory assistance once for a listing in Staunton - the operator came back and said she couldn't find one in "Stanton" but she did find one in "Stawnton" (how she pronounced it). You guessed it, the locals pronounce it "Stanton"! Go figure!

I lived in Port Charlotte Fl., for a year, in fact it was my freshman year in high school, THAT, was a learning experience for me. I once asked my math teacher if I could go to the bubbler, ooops, I got looked at like I had ten heads and finaly my friend realized I was all red in the face and floundering like a fool, so she spoke up and said, "she needs a drink of water, at the fountain."
Also while there, I realized how many names there are for a grinder...
hogie, torpeedo, hero, sub, and that not everyone drinks thier coffee with ice in it. You would have thunk, such a warm place would have invented it.
You have to be very clear if you need a safty PIN, or you'll get a pen, and if your asking a local for directions be prepared to do a "y-all turn about" in one of thier u turns. When ordering fast food, one must slow down, there is no such thing as a cheeseburgersmallfrychocolateshake. Friends of mine down south always ask when I'm going to start calling auctions.
rcn48, I think your post is totally, wicked cool!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.