Tropic Beauty Peach: OK for St. Petersburg, Florida?

Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 9b)

On impulse, I bought a Tropic Beauty peach tree. Now I'm wondering if I will get enough chill hours here. The tree requires 150, and the map puts me in a zone that averages between 110 and 210 75% of the time. That doesn't sound like quite enough., and I'm wondering especially because it's been so warm the past few years. So I thought I'd ask for input on this.

Thanks.

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi CindyDale

I live down in Bradenton and have a 3 year old ‘Floriprince’ Peach tree that is in bloom right now. It has only produced maybe a dozen peaches per year but the tree is only 5' tall. It requires similar chill hours to your tree and has 30+ buds on it now. I also bought a 4 foot tall 'Sunraycer' Necatrine tree 1st of December that I put in the ground and it too is in bloom now.

I don't know if I will ever have enough peaches/necterines for a season supply for my family but the ones we did get where very good. Good luck with your peach tree.

dwallace

Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi, dwallace.

I had just returned from taking the tree back when I saw your post! Oh, well, I guess it was meant to be that way. I got a loquat tree to put in where I was going to put the peach tree. Maybe in the future I will consider a peach then.

Thanks.

Cindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.