Amaryllis

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi. I don't know where to post this, and I can't find anything when I search, because the search engine is down.

I just bought three amaryllis bulbs from HD for $1.98 each. Now, I need to know what to do with them. The litlte leaves are now about 2" "tall".

I think I should put each in the pot that came with it, let them bloom, cut off the bloom stalk, and when it's summer, put them outside.

My question is, can I leave them outside forever in the ground? Do they need to go inside for the winter? I'm in zone 7, near Memphis TN.

Thanks for your help. :)

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I have linked a site below. Also perhaps someone from your area on the lillies forum might be of help. The site below is oriented to year round care in cold areas and does not suggest removing the bulb from the pot in late summer and fall. I leave mine in the pots all year and they are really nice. I set them outside in spring in half day sun.

http://www.rochestergardening.com/bulbs/amrylcar.html

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

Every winter I buy three bulb kits and stagger the planting so they are blooming in different stages.After the blooms are spent I continue to water until the foliage begins to look bad.I set the pot in the garage and when ground is warm enough I put bulb in ground.They will bloom the next year and and from then on.I have two beds full of the Amaryllis from past years.A beautiful sight every spring.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I think you should find a heavier pot than what came in your package. Amaryllis get pretty top heavy and in those little plasic pots, I would think they would easily tip over; especially if you have a cat. Or, you could put the plastic pots into another, more sturdy container.

San Diego, CA

You guys are going to really hate me for this, but I was at Target last week and they found a case of Amaryllis bulb kits with the paperwhites somewhere buried in the stockroom. The whole case was sitting out in the garden center and I asked the woman at the register if they were on clearance. She said that they were no longer in their inventory so they couldn't sell them. She said they were destined for the dumpster. I offered to pay for them and she said that they can't give them away, but that she "wasn't looking." So off I went with 24 Amaryllis bulbs and 144 paperwhites for free. I planted 3 Amaryllis in the pots for inside and everything else outside. A couple of the Amaryllis bulbs were so dried up that I tossed them. I always plant my used Amaryllis bulbs outside and some are now huge, have sent out tons of babies, and put on quite a show in early Summer. I never cut them back as they stay green all year here. I just cut out the bloomed stalks and let them do as they please.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

i don't hate you but I do envy you big time, hee hee

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!

Flowrlady - one other thing. Be prepared to stake the flower stems just before they start blooming. When you start to see the flower pod split, you probably have a week or so before it blooms. Once those blooms open they become really top heavy and start to lean. Oh, while growing give them a turn once a day to keep the stems straight (we did say put in a sunny window didn't we??) and then, to keep a longer bloom, just before they do, move them into indirect light. They will also bloom longer if not in a real warm spot.

oops, back to flowerlady's question. I went looking in the plant files and the information about zone hardiness was not consistent among the various varieties. seems like you should pull the bulbs before winter, to be on the safe side. I guess if you want to experiment, you can always plant one inground and leave it there all year to determine of your area is safe enough.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Nice going, chunx ~ lucky you!

Okay. I planted them this afternoon, inside, in the little plastic pot. After they bloom and I cut the flower stalk, I'll begin fertilizing them. When it's warm enough I think I'll plant them outside. at $1.98 each, if they don't live through next winter, it won't b a MAJOR investment, but just an experiment.

I love amaryllises (sp?) These are the red tiger ones

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

As advised above...
grow them indoors in good light and enjoy the flowers. Cut flower scapes after blooming, but do not cut leaves. Continue to water and fertilize lightly after flowering.

In summer, plant outdoors in full sun and give plenty of water and fertilizer. The more leaves which are produced = more flowers next year. Do fertilize on regular basis (these are relatively heavy feeders).

In early fall, before first frost, bring indoors. I usually let the leaves die back on a cardboard paper for a few weeks and then cut the leaves off at nose level. Then I store the bulb dry but moderately warm (definitely not cold, and not in the fridge). A basement (60-65F) or even room temperature is ok.

In early spring (13-18 weeks later) leaves and/or flowerscapes will show at the nose of the bulb (check weekly). At this time, repot and start watering again. Flowers will follow.
If no leaves/scapes after 18 weeks, repot anyway.

Also see this slideshow:
Go to my photo website and click the blue "slideshow" button
http://photobucket.com/albums/v345/kdjoergensen/gardening/bulbs/hippeastrum/Reblooming%20instructions/

Regards
Kenneth

Nice pics, Kenneth! I didn't know I had to fertilize amaryllises. Mine are all planted outdoors, inground (except for the few bulbs that I forced indoors this past T/giving). Is general purpose fert. OK?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I want to add that all parts of this plant are poisonous!.
They are really great and I grow them, but be advised to keep kids and pets away.
Andy P

Kenneth, thanks so much for your good information. Wish me luck!

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Yes all purpose 10-10-10 fertilizer is fine. You can also use annual plant fertilizer (5-10-10, 5-10-5, 10-15-10, 20-20-20, 10-20-20 etc. Just avoid too much nitrogen (e.g. no 30-3-3).

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

I had one bulb from a gift a year ago at Christmas. I had heard that they could be planted in the ground, but I was afraid that was wrong. I left the pot outside in a shady morning/sunny afternoon location and it did fine all summer. It is just now starting to put out new leaf shoots in my indoor greenhouse, where I put it in the fall. So from what you all said above, I need to just plant it outside like I was told. Can I do that now that it is growing, or do I have to wait until it's finished blooming for this year? It's just barely getting started.

you can do it now but you are in a zone where you have to pull them up for winter. I don't have to do that but I have read wonderful threads in the bulb forum about how the cooler area gardeners do this.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2006 11:33 AM

I don't dig up dahlias, cannas, other bulbs. I just put down tons of mulch and so far haven't lost anything. I can't dig things up anymore, so if I would have to dig the amaryllis every year, I'll just put it into a pot I can move in and out. They are such gorgeous flowers, I'd like to have a whole patch of them, and above it sounded like that might be something I could do. Thanks for your help.

My closest walmart is presently selling amaryllis for about $2. Maybe yours has this going also and you can buy a couple to experiment. If you can leave canna out, seems like you should be able to leave amaryllis also.

That's a good idea. My one and only was a gift, but I could afford to play with a couple of $2 ones. Thanks.

Yes, this is what started this whole thread! I went to Home Depot and got three for $1.98. Good luck, everyone else, with yours!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Flowerlady,

Isn't it funny how these threads just snowball? Just to add my 2 cents worth I got 10 for 50cents each.

Wow! You really got a bargain! Good for you :)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

The whole time mine was blooming indoors, I watered it every time with half-strength Miracle Grow and the results were spectacular - 2 huge stalks & 8 huge blooms. I definitely need a few more of these!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I am jealous....

Wow Deserteden! It really sounds like you know what you're doing. The little bulbs I got are about as big as a ping pong ball, so I can't hope for anything really big for a year or two. I've been watering them with Peters, and they seem to like it!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sad news.
At the home where I'm working this week I've noticed a boxed Amaryllis. It's been sitting in the same spot since I first went to see the job, over 2 months.
I thought it was an empty box today when I had to move it today. So I looked inside, there was the soil, pot and a shriveled partially grown bulb. The flower bud had grown about 6 inches and just dried up. what a shame.
Andy P

Andy, I think if the bulb is OK, it can still be potted. No show this year, but for years to come.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Vossner, I'm not saying a word to the owners. Not my business.
Shame though, the thing was totally dessicated.
Andy P

DD - What do you mean by "half strength" Miracle Grow?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Beaker - It's actually the Ace Hardware brand equivalent of Miracle Grow. It's a light blue crystalline sugar-looking stuff. I put one-fourth teaspoon in a gal of water (filtered, no less) and use that. I do the same thing for my African violets. It's a lot less potent so I can water with it every time I water.

Well, it sounds like it does a great job. I had a disaster with Miracle Grow one year using one of those dispensers you hook up to your hose and ended killing off quite a bit of my lawn. I was pretty disgusted at the time and haven't used anything like that since. I've been using the time release Miracle Grow in my gardens and have been pretty happy with that.

Union Grove, AL

Appleblosom is hardy in 7b if ya plant it at least 6 inches from the top, Wedding dance is fine in 8 other than that i can't help much

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Okay, I'll put in my 2 cents worth.
Last summer, for the first time, I planted my amaryllis bulbs directly in the soil in pretty much full sun, instead of leaving them in their pots. I planned to leave them there all winter with a heavy mulch, having grown tired of them in pots.
In December, the temperatures plummeted towards zero, and I panicked. I dug the bulbs, and was totally amazed at the root growth. They were not dormant at all, and the bulbs had grown a lot. So I potted them up in very large pots (12 - 14 inches) and put them in the greenhouse. Now, they are all in various stages of bloom...
My red "baby" amaryllis made 9 stalks with 4 blooms each...it was spectacular and I am ashamed I did not get a good picture. It has 4 bloom-size bulbs, and a lot of little offsets.
My peach 'Rilona' made 2 huge stalks with 4 blooms (always made 1 before) and has a big offset bulb, too.
My hot pink 'Ramona' is making 3 stalks on 2 bulbs, and one of the stalks has an unprecedented 5 blooms on it.
My 'Appleblossom' is making 3 stalks on 2 bulbs also.

All I can say is this: If you really want growth and performance, get them out of those dinky pots and and in the ground and sun!

This year I plan to divide the bulbs and leave a few in the ground...yes, I am in zone 6 and may regret it.....I wonder if the shorter growing season will cheat me out of good flowering even though the bulbs may survive?

Some of you from down South are probably laughing about my new found success with this bulb, but I am really excited about the results after having them languish in pots year after year.

Here is the one with 5 blooms on one stalk.

Thumbnail by Toxicodendron
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I got a ginormous 'Susan' bulb from Amaryllis Bulb Company, and it's just beginning to open. It, too, is a little splotchy, like the one you posted a pic of, Toxicodendron. And it looks like it's going to have five blooms on its stalk, too! (One of the blooms is a little smaller than the other four.) I was wondering about the splotchiness - is it the indication of a problem with the bulb?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's a picture:

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Another view. I really don't think it's supposed to look like this. :-(

Thumbnail by kbaumle

It does look splotchy. I'd call ABC and ask. Maybe it just something environmental and nothing to worry about. Here's what Susan should look like.

Thumbnail by beaker_ch
Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

kbaumle~

Looks like viral infection.

Robert.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

That's what I'm afraid of. I e-mailed the company a couple of days ago, and included a picture of it, but I haven't heard anything from them yet.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2006 6:42 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.