Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Toxicodendron

In reply to: Amaryllis

Forum: Amaryllis and Hippeastrums

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Amaryllis
Toxicodendron wrote:
Okay, I'll put in my 2 cents worth.
Last summer, for the first time, I planted my amaryllis bulbs directly in the soil in pretty much full sun, instead of leaving them in their pots. I planned to leave them there all winter with a heavy mulch, having grown tired of them in pots.
In December, the temperatures plummeted towards zero, and I panicked. I dug the bulbs, and was totally amazed at the root growth. They were not dormant at all, and the bulbs had grown a lot. So I potted them up in very large pots (12 - 14 inches) and put them in the greenhouse. Now, they are all in various stages of bloom...
My red "baby" amaryllis made 9 stalks with 4 blooms each...it was spectacular and I am ashamed I did not get a good picture. It has 4 bloom-size bulbs, and a lot of little offsets.
My peach 'Rilona' made 2 huge stalks with 4 blooms (always made 1 before) and has a big offset bulb, too.
My hot pink 'Ramona' is making 3 stalks on 2 bulbs, and one of the stalks has an unprecedented 5 blooms on it.
My 'Appleblossom' is making 3 stalks on 2 bulbs also.

All I can say is this: If you really want growth and performance, get them out of those dinky pots and and in the ground and sun!

This year I plan to divide the bulbs and leave a few in the ground...yes, I am in zone 6 and may regret it.....I wonder if the shorter growing season will cheat me out of good flowering even though the bulbs may survive?

Some of you from down South are probably laughing about my new found success with this bulb, but I am really excited about the results after having them languish in pots year after year.

Here is the one with 5 blooms on one stalk.