Potato Chip Palm Seed

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

I love this palm (Chamaedorea teurckheimii). I've looked for seed under rocks....everywhere. I see several nurseries handle the plant for a hefty price, but no seed. Has anyone got any ideas, other than under rocks...lol, as to where I might locate some seed for this marvelous palm?

best,
don

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Just gooled the name, Never seen this before . So pretty leaves. Do you have photo of adult plant?
]
Kaleem

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Kaleem,

Palmbob has taken some pretty good pictures of them in the Plant Files. Check it out, it's really a neat little palm.

best,
don

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Need link because I tried and found nothing in plantfiles.
Kaleem

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Here you go Kaleem,

take care my friend,
don

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/60023/index.html

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

seed only rarely available.. plants really expensive, but if you can find, them, better way to go than getting seed (rots easily)

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

thanks palmbob,

I guess it's off to Jungle music for the wallet cleaning.

best,
don

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

If you get the palm journal, there is an article about Louie Hooper in it... primo Chamaedorea guy... not sure if he has any potato chip palms left, but that's where I got mine a few years back... excellent palm and cheaper than Jungle Music. He doesn't have a nursery, but does grow stuff from seed like no one else (primarily CHamaedorea and Rhapis). I don't know his number, but you might be able to get it from the palm society of So Cal

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Thank you very much palmbob. I don't get the journal nor am I a member of the Palm Society, just an appreciator of really neat palms. I'll look him up and see if he's got some. Every time I go to Jungle Music I end up spending the mortgage payment...lol. He's got great stuff, but is outrageously priced.

best,
don

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

You should definitely join the palm society and get the journal.. this last journal is a beautiful and informative discussion of Chamaedorea palms in southern California.. and in the back you can find at least 10 other people selling palms other than Jungle Music- some have huge inventories, some great prices... check them out.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks palmbob, I joined yesterday. I'm not sure if I'll get the most recent journal but when I saw they were involved in conservation it was worth the 40 bucks for a trial year. I'm grateful for the tip.

best,
don

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Go to meetings, too... missed one today, unfortunately... but every other month one on the 3rd Sat of the month... great place to meet palm people and get some great palms for cheap

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.