Emmenopterys henryi

Charleston, SC

Does anyone have any info on stratification requirements of Emmenopterys henryi seeds? This is a very rare tree and I have found nothing on how to stratify the seeds I have. Thank you.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I didn't find any online info either but I have the plant. I didn't have any success doing cuttings on it either. The way it grows suggests it probably needs to be planted in a tray or liners, moistened and left outside to go through a few frosts, thaws, frosts. I do this with Zanthoxylum piperitum seed (same family) and it works wonders. Once the weather warms up a bit I pop the liner trays in the greenhouse for added heat. I'm only presuming this will work. Otherwise there are a few nurseries that offer this plant in the Seattle area.

ps. I think I replied to your Trachycarpus (Palm) seed questions some time ago. How did they do?

Charleston, SC

After biding their time a little several came up but germination was less than half of a 72 cell flat. Yet your info from the links you gave me was super and this will help me better in the future, though trial and error may be my best bet. Thank you.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I learned a little since then too. I had several flats in the warm greenhouse on the floor. nothing. I moved them to the prop table with bottom heat and they sprung up, all at once. I think the soaking and moist soil helps. The seed in more organic than peat-mix did better. I'll be doing another harvest in March/April of a few hundred pounds shipped to the east. d-mail me.

Charleston, SC

One last thing I observed about the Emmenopterys henryi seeds. They appear very similar looking in size and texture to Cercidiphyllum japonicum seeds. They are quite small(like chaff) with a little dark spot where the embryo is. These are very delicate seeds just like the Katsura tree, making me think that I needed to stratify them similarly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.