What new plants are you hoping to add for 2006?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

My card has Feb 22 on it.

Georgetown, KY(Zone 6a)

Let me know how your chocolate cosmos does. I have tried it 3 times in 3 different locations, and it never winters over. I never noticed any strong fragrance from the plants [started from purchased cells, not seed], but then again I never brought any of the small delicate blooms in. Maybe it's just my black thumb that they never made it more than one season.

Athens, OH

Strange. I went to the Bluestone website and it is showing 15% off. Is there a special code I need?
ROX

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I posted my code above for Melissa. It is 20% off.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

I called Bluestone Perennials yesterday to place my order, since their online ordering didn't make much sense to me and didn't work. I did not need the code that was on my postcard. It is for ONLINE ordering only. I got each plant or series of plants at a reduced rate as she told me each one over the phone. For instance, the Gysophila Pink Star was 3 for $9.40 instead of 3 for $9.99. Shipping will be late Apr. to early May.

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Karin,
My oldest daughter and her new husband is in Dayton. She is a career girl and not into gardening yet. I did take her a few dls, monkey grass and hosta for her new place. He is an officer in the Air Force.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

bg425,
Next time you're up there hit Cox Arboreteum w/ her.
If that doesn't get her into Gardening nothing will.

Ric (Kettering born and raised)

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

My sister and I plan on the Cinny Botanical Garden too. She had mentioned the Cox Arboreteum.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The Cincy Zoo and Botanical Gardens is one of my favorites.

Just wait till you see how Cox deals w/ deer.
You'll flip!
They have a great Butterfly House too.

Ric

Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

TuddyE,
I came across the Chocolate Cosmos in another catolog today ... Roots & Rhizomes ...
Here it shows that the Zones for it are 7-10. It recommends that "in areas with frost, the tuberous roots should be dug in the fall and stored in a frost-free area or held over in pots" .
I have decided that I shall not keep it outside all winter!!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

rox_male, last year, having never tried to start clematis, I just took a cutting, used rooting harmone, put in a 2" pot, put it in a plastic bag (sealed), and waited. I started 5 I think, in the spring, and they were ready for trade at the Ky RU in September. This may have been beginners luck, but it worked for me. I plan on doing some more this spring. I only have 3 clematis, Jackamani, and 2 pinks, that I can't recall names of right now. No wait, I have 2 others bought on sale, end of season, can't recall names, but have them listed in my plant files.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

My Bluestone Sale E-code is hequ357 and it's good until February 1st at Midnight.

bluegrass, I wonder why you get until February 22?!! I ordered too much stuff the way it is, good thing they are making me quit 2/1. LOL

Seems like a little bit of a gyppy 'sale' because the website pricing is listed at 15% off and then I thought I would get another 20% off with the card, but, no dice. I e-mailed and they said 'no', just 20% off. Oh, well, glad to hear they are nice plants. I ordered the double decker monarda, too. Only three of them, though.

I think we should have our RU up there when they have their clearance. Just joking.

And, bluegrass, if you are into shrubs and trees, don't forget a nice walk through Springgrove Cemetery (Arboretum). I like to walk around there and check out the trees, the birds (they always have some unusual ones), and the graves (some are pretty quircky). Sounds weird when I write in down here but it's kind of fun!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Not weird at all, I love bird watching. My favorites are hummingbirds and the pileated woodpecker. I have seen bald eagles on Reelfoot Lake in TN.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We take pictures and hike at Spring Grove.
One Saturday a stretch Limo pulled up.
Not too unusual at a Cemetery right?
Out steps a Bride and Groom, the full wedding party, photographer and crew.
They shot pictures for about 45 minutes, drinking champagne, them rolled off to the reception.........

Ric

Well, now we know where to have our daughters' receptions! Right in the crypt! And we can probably find some nice bouquets lying around, too! LOL

Ric--- that's an 'only in Cincinnati' story, I think! too funny!

Athens, OH

Tabasco-
I would definitely make the trip to Bluestone if others want to go!

Defoecat-
I will try my luck with the clematis. I think I'll try a few different types!
Can the Ohioans attend the Ky RU? Can we have an Ohio River Valley RU?

Gemini_sage
I will definitely try the layer!

Thanks all!
ROX

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Rox, I missed the KYRU this year but I did attend in 2004. We had people from AZ, OH, TN, MO, IL, IA, GA, FL, that I know of. It is fun. We had a great plant swap and a pot luck meal on Sat.

We may bump this years up to summer and not in the fall.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Rox, anyone can go to any of the RU's. I say, if you can get there and there are people you want to meet...GO GO GO GO GO! LOL I only went to the very first one in Crossville then a small one in Cincinnati last year. I don't travel so well. ;) I wish I could go to all of them. There are so many great people here that I would love to meet!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

tabasco, I have a love of cemetaries, especially old ones with interesting monuments (and old heirloom plants). At the Lexington Cemetary I had a great chuckle over one. It's a large obelisk marking the parents graves and the surrounding family plot. On it is carved a lovely verse, names and dates, and under that, "and their children sleep around". My sister took a pic of it and sent it to Leno, and saw it aired. Phrasing has changed a bit over the years, LOL.

And I'd love to hear what you're planning for the wedding; colors, fabrics, foods, and flowers of course! I love event planning, and to hear what people are doing. And you have such good taste, I know it'll be beautiful.

Oh, I really really want to get to the round up. Badseed, I don't travel well either, so it's always iffy. Hoping meds will help with that this summer, LOL. Always love it when I do get out though, and I'm sure it's great fun.

As far as '06 aquisitions go, oh so many lists to narrow wayyy down. Spending a lot of time trying to find the best roses to suit our area, without constant spraying. I'm looking in to the Harkness family hybrids that Heirloom calls English Legend roses. Any local experience with them? Also looking in to the Meidiland roses that are said to be exceptionally tough.
Neal.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Note to self. *Do not travel with Neal*. If we are both knocked out for the ride, who is gonna drive??? LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Don't let 'seed fool you.
She gets around.

It's just those peskie bridges that limit her range.

Ric

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Okay, that doesn't sound good at all. LOL I AM doing much better. I've had to drive 43 miles twice a day a lot of times per week since September. LOL You know how hard it is to keep your speed at 25 and 45 when you normally go in excess of 55 on a regular basis? I honestly think my extended stay in Mt. Washington, never going far from home, may have had something to do with my goofy driving issues. Hmmm...

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Here is what I am adding courtesy of Bluestone:

Clematis 'Betty Corning'
Primula auricula alpina
Primula viallii
Pulsatilla vulgaris 'Papageno'
Viola 'Etain'
Oenothera 'Sunset Boulevard'

I particularly love Viola 'Etain'. The colors are so beautiful and it has such a wonderful scent. It is supposed to be hardy to zone 5 but so far I have not succeeded in keeping it alive. I am getting 3 so I will be able to try them in various locations and hope I find one that they like.

Has anyone grown Oenothera 'Sunset Boulevard'? I know some Oenotheras can be quite invasive while others are more well-behaved. I hope this is one of the well-behaved ones. LOL

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I saw that Oenethera and it looks really nice, but for some reason I have it in my mind that it's more suited to drier areas out west. I'm not sure why I'm thinking that, but I was considering it last year and was thinking that was why I marked it off. Love those primulas and I'm hoping to snag some of those to.
Neal.

NoH20--I ordered oenothera "Sunset Boulevard" from Bluestone too, but now after I read planfiles entry I see how gem thinks its for western dry climates..

With all the weather changes this year, maybe our summer will be dry and non-humid....?

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2089/index.html

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

It certainly was dry and (relatively) non-humid here last summer, especially compared to the previous two years. I guess I will be the guinea pig for 'Sunset Boulevard' in the ORV and see how it does. I see in the PDF that Gardenwife says it grows in her area and she is just 1/2 hour east of me. I also see that Baa says it is not always hardy in frost prone areas yet it is listed as hardy to zone 5a. I think plants are a lot like cats - they do what they want when they want where they want for whom they want. That's what makes them so irresistible. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.