Tips for starting perennial geraniums from seed?

San Jose, CA

I have two different kinds that I want to start from seed--geranium psilostem and geranium maderense. The packet on one says that starting them is kind of tricky. If they haven't sprouted after four weeks, refrigerate for 3 weeks and try again.

Does anyone have any tips on germinating these seeds? The packet of the psilostems didn't have very many seeds in it, so I don't want to blow it.

Thanks.

I would like to know this also. I started some from seed this year. I read Tom Clothier's for germination tips and then jumped in. So far, out of a whole package, I've only got one seedling. Not sure if it'll help with this batch of seed, but I could figure out what to do for future reference.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

"sharp" stratification helps with some perennials down here. That means alternate between warm and cold temps for a while at each (a while? maybe one week cold one week warm....).

But I have no personal exp with geraniums of this sort.

San Jose, CA

That may be why they recommended starting out with warmth and then refrigerating if germination doesn't occur. It just seems like a long period of time the way the seed packet puts it. If I put them in warmth for 8 weeks, then refrigerate for 3 weeks, it could conceivably be 12 weeks before germination. I was wondering if I could jump start this by putting in warmth for a couple of weeks, then refrigerating for two weeks, and so on.

I'm bound to abondon them altogether if they take three months. LOL

San Jose, CA

BTW, what were Tom Clothier's germination tips?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Here's the Tom Clothier Garden Walk and Talk site. It offers lots of wonderful info on germination requirements: http://tomclothier.hort.net/

Lilystorm, I've grown several of the cranesbill varieties, but most just required scarification, at most. Even our local G. erianthum, a wild flower, seemed to germinate without stratification. However, the Erodium may be quite a different story. Baa would be an excellent source of information (as always!... are you there, Baa?)

When Clothier recommends a warm period followed by cold stratification, I usually start the plants under lights in the basement which is heated. I imagine they are getting about 65 to 70F. If they do not sprout in a week or two, I set them outside in a domed flat to experience the cold. This is usually at freezing in late winter. When the days start to warm, I begin misting the surface with water to keep it moist. Some of the seeds respond very well to this, some don't, and some are still in the containers, since germination can take months or years for some things.

Psilo grew lots of wonderful hardy geranium, and she cautioned me about not giving up on seeds too soon. Just because a couple seeds germinate, don't give up on the rest. Germination can be erratic. I took her advice and just pricked the sprouted seedlings carefully out of the medium and returned the container back into the domed flat. A week or two later, most often, more seedlings would pop up.

I hope I've been of some help, and I hope Baa shows up to correct any bloopers I may have made! LOL!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

According to Clothier:

Geranium psilostemon:Sow at Max. 5ºC (41ºF), germination irregular, often several months

Geranium maderense , , ,Type= a/p , , direct sow outdoors, or sow @ 70ºF , 30-400d

As you can see, both these varieties can require long periods of germination. I'm geography impaired, so I don't know what part of California you live in, so I'm not sure if you get cold weather there. If not, you'd better move the condiments over and make room in the refrigerator! LOL!

lol. Thanks Weezin. I just might be putting the seeds that haven't sprouted yet back in the fridge for awhile.

San Jose, CA

I've already got several pots in the refrigerator. I guess I'll need to make room for one more. We definitely won't get freezing temperatures here.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You have to chill your bulbs, too, don't you? Sounds like you need garden fridge!

San Jose, CA

I don't bother with any bulbs that need to chilled anymore. It's just too much work and I only have one refrigerator. Daffodils and lilies do OK here without any chilling, but I can't do tulips.

Lilburn, GA

It also helps to make a very small cut through the sharp end of he seed or rub the end against sand paper. It makes the shell softer, germination quicker and the seedling comes out easeir.

San Jose, CA

Ooh, I wish I'd read your message before I started the seeds, spider07. I just sowed them into pots.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, lilystorm--

here's kind of a neat site with pics of hardy geranium seed germinations...

http://theseedsite.co.uk/db9a.html

probably too much detail, but interesting--

I notice he uses the 'deno' method to germinate some of his seeds...

Here are the details on the "deno method" It might save you space in the fridge...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/488160/

http://theseedsite.co.uk/list15.html

San Jose, CA

I could use the deno method to germinate the geranium maderense, which I haven't sown yet. The description of the deno method is kind of brief though. How long do you keep the seeds in the moist paper towel? Just until they start to germinate?

lilystorm--

I think I posted the wrong thread there....the Forum search isn't working now, but tomorrow try a search on the "deno method" and there is a very nice thread with pictures and details...

Sorry, t.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I didnt get to read through this entire thread, I've not had experience with the perennial geranium seeds. But I do germinate the coconut scented geranium seeds quite often, and I just drop them on top of the soil, and do nothing else, water infrequently, and I forget about them often, I always have 30 or 40 of them in the pot and when they get too big I transplant them to their own pot, They germinate very easily and drop seed in other plants, and I have them coming up in other pots as well. I do know that most scented geraniums are hard to germinate by seed.

Maybe this will help you somewhat even though it's not really about the perennial geranium.

kathy

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

lilystorm, I've germinated geraniums before by putting the seeds in a moist paper towel and then putting them in a plastic bag. They germinated in about 5-6 days. Then I put them in the soil.

San Jose, CA

Thanks, everyone. I've got them potted in the refrigerator right now because the instructions I read on a web site said it needed a chill. I've read so many different instructions now, that my head is spinning. I just hope a few germinate.

I'm going to try the paper towel method next time!

Indianapolis, IN

If you were in the midwest, I would say to stick them outside and let them go through the freeze/thaw cycle. If it gets down in the 40s where you live, sticking them outside might help.

San Jose, CA

It doesn't get that cold out here very often, but I'll put them outside after the refrigerator stint. It might get into the low 70s in a few days.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

aw man...do I feel sorry for you...low 70s in the middle of winter...better get out your winter coat!! hahaha jk

San Jose, CA

Yep, it's rough out here. It's not always that nice in the middle of winter here though, so don't get too envious!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.